Jessops demolition megathread

I suppose it's you who's in favor of the eye sores we have in Sheffield now, Park Hill flats, the cheese grater, the tired buildings in front of the cheese grater?

Where have i ever stated that. ?

Knock it down i say, miserable tired old ugly building.

Oi! I was born in that 'miserable tired old ugly building' and it's part of me. I agree with abbs on this one :)

Oi! I was born in that 'miserable tired old ugly building' and it's part of me. I agree with abbs on this one :)

Some of my kids were too, but you can't allow sentiment to get in the way of progress, imo.

I see the petition states;

" We are tired of Sheffield City Council needlessly bulldozing our heritage and urge you to intervene."

Can anybody name buildings bulldozed by the council that were "our heritage".

How long have you got?

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 23:58 ----------

Some of my kids were too, but you can't allow sentiment to get in the way of progress, imo.

Perhaps not-how about sustainability?

I was an only child. It means more.

How long have you got?

I'm genuinely asking and also asked on t'other Jessops thread - the only buildings anyone came up with were Coles Corner (apparantly hit during the blitz) and the old Corn Exchange (empty and derelict for years following a fire).

I'm genuinely asking and also asked on t'other Jessops thread - the only buildings anyone came up with were Coles Corner (apparantly hit during the blitz) and the old Corn Exchange (empty and derelict for years following a fire).

From before days when conservation became a philosophy and the corporation was the forerunner of the council

Half timbered houses at bottom of Snig Hill/Walkley Old Hall/Dykes Hall/Owlerton Hall/Wincobank Hall/Washford Bridge Cottage/Attercliffe Old Hall.

Corn Exchange/Norfolk Market Hall [not listed though listing system came after Blitz in WW2] Wadsley Manor House/Wadsley Village- Not listed

Greenhill Hall/Whirlow House[Council owned -not certain whether listed].

Norwood Hall -not listed. Regent Terrace/ Sheffield and Ecclesall Coop.

Old Pomona Public House,

A few off the top of my head-some personal preference to be frank.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 00:44 ----------

Nice to have an allie on this forum who wants to save sheffields heritage as well.I am slowly losing my belonging to sheffield even though i was born here.I feel happier when i go to places like huddersfield which always feels like real yorkshire.

Keep thee rag owd lad,

Wardsbitter[very]

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 00:57 ----------

And I forgot St Pauls Church [1938] that was bad- before listing.

G'night all

Edited by Wardsbitter
BRACKET MISSING

From before days when conservation became a philosophy and the corporation was the forerunner of the council

Half timbered houses at bottom of Snig Hill/Walkley Old Hall/Dykes Hall/Owlerton Hall/Wincobank Hall/Washford Bridge Cottage/Attercliffe Old Hall.

Corn Exchange/Norfolk Market Hall [not listed though listing system came after Blitz in WW2] Wadsley Manor House/Wadsley Village- Not listed

Greenhill Hall/Whirlow House[Council owned -not certain whether listed].

Norwood Hall -not listed. Regent Terrace/ Sheffield and Ecclesall Coop.

Old Pomona Public House,

A few off the top of my head-some personal preference to be frank.

You'd have to be pushing 60 to remember much of that lot. How much was council owned and how much was private stuff that had fallen into disrepair / become outdated. Some of that stuff is pre-WWII surely, eg Walkley Old Hall.

So not proof that the council have been "needlessly bulldozing our heritage".

This is your last chance if you want to help stop the demolition of this building

I know everyone is busy with Christmas but it will take seconds to do!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/rt-hon-eric-pickles-secretary-of-state-save-sheffield-s-grade-ii-listed-edwardian-jessop-hospital-building-2

why ????????????????????????????????????????????

Some of them pre-world war 1. Some in bad nick ie Norwood [bulldozed in the small hours by the council]. 'Outdated' is a bit vague. Isn't a medieval church that's listed but hasn't got a congregation 'outdated' so would you pull it down?

All the buildings that I have quoted should have been saved. This city would have been a far more interesting place than it is if they had. There are parts of it which are frankly souless. The captition about SSC 'needlessly bulldozing our heritage' comes from the save jessops website and my gut feeling is that its correct

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 01:26 ----------

why ????????????????????????????????????????????

been in hibernation? Dodging the milkman? Are you Rip Van Winkle?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 01:38 ----------

Does "Public Opinion" know what it wants doing with the building long term?

Or is this just another one of those buildings (like the one on Exchange Place) that people say they don't want knocking down, but don't really have any future use for?

The City Council are being left with various "listed" / "preserved" obstacles like Castle House in the city as it is.

The University had a use for it in 2009. A learning hub. I have my doubts about Castle House to be frank. Exchange [street actually] is important because of the three buildings that survived the Blitz and because of its vicinity to the castle site.

Check out the difference about listed and preserved. Someone's flagged this up

Some of them pre-world war 1. Some in bad nick ie Norwood [bulldozed in the small hours by the council]. 'Outdated' is a bit vague. Isn't a medieval church that's listed but hasn't got a congregation 'outdated' so would you pull it down?

All the buildings that I have quoted should have been saved. This city would have been a far more interesting place than it is if they had. There are parts of it which are frankly souless. The captition about SSC 'needlessly bulldozing our heritage' comes from the save jessops website and my gut feeling is that its correct

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 01:26 ----------

been in hibernation? Dodging the milkman? Are you Rip Van Winkle?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 01:38 ----------

The University had a use for it in 2009. A learning hub. I have my doubts about Castle House to be frank. Exchange [street actually] is important because of the three buildings that survived the Blitz and because of its vicinity to the castle site.

Check out the difference about listed and preserved. Someone's flagged this up

Your souless quote is very interesting as the Sheffield Historical society are the one that are championing the destruction of the oldest trading places in Sheffield, The thousand year old Markets area.

The soulesness continues.

Just signed the petition and posted it on Facebook! It is really sad to see the architectural history of the city disappear...