Jessops demolition megathread

Signing the petition is a huge number of present and past students as well as the Governments own adviser on listed buildings and a member of the University's own council (an architect who trained at Sheffield University)

Remind me - 2,000 signatures represents what "huge" proportion of present and past students. And is HMG's advisor on listed buildings really going to be in favour of demolition of a listed building?

We are talking about Architect students and graduates, and history students who have felt strongly enough to sign. Not everybody knows about Jessop Hospital.

It is listed in English Heritage's website as an important part of women's history.

As for the government adviser grade ll listed means if there is a good argument for demolition permission should be given. If he is against it he must feel that there is not a good argument or he would not have signed the petition.

Under the current regulations the argument just has to be made that it is necessary and there is no alternative solution. The fact that the councils own planning advisers don't think there should have been reason enough to ask them to alter their building plan and resubmit it. There has also been queries about the costs and about the amount of jobs the present plan will bring. This isn't about engineering jobs, this is about somebody who has got a fixed idea in his head and will go on regardless of mutterings in his own staff and a failure to consider the external community and the impact winning will have on community relations. The University cannot live in a bubble.

I think more attractive / interesting buildings have been demolished in the city and so wouldnt particularly miss this one. I do think the proposed building as shown in the Sheffield Telegraph at first glance looks quite interesting but look closer and i see a cheap building dressed up to look more expensive. Its just a glass box with some web style cladding stuck on the outside. It will date very quickly.

If the University really expect to build the worlds number one engineering department, they should start by engineering an iconic building to house it in.

Edited by BasPosse

I'm beginning to think Longcol and Tbtc have personal interests in the university other wise they wouldn't be making such a big deal about it unless its just real hatred of old buildings.Anyhow I'm fed up with this now let's just wait and see what the government says.

It is rather harsh they are demolishing it, given it only went into administration the other week.

Yet again a very loud minority are rattling their pans.

The uni is a major part of this city. They clearly respect and work towards conservation when they can - they've renovated and maintained several old and listed buildings. Why can't people give them a break when it comes to them making the difficult decision to demolish a listed building. Personally I don't see historical importance and I don't see how it could be remotely useful for the uni. Keeping it for the sake of it just seems pointless.

Agree with you to a certain extent.Yet loud minorities seems to be our current version of 'democracy'.

Yet again a very loud minority are rattling their pans.

The uni is a major part of this city. They clearly respect and work towards conservation when they can - they've renovated and maintained several old and listed buildings. Why can't people give them a break when it comes to them making the difficult decision to demolish a listed building. Personally I don't see historical importance and I don't see how it could be remotely useful for the uni. Keeping it for the sake of it just seems pointless.

Was the university responsible for the gem which was the victorian museum on Ecclesall Road? If so, how did it come to be in their hands? What happened to it? How is this protecting Sheffield's heritage?

I shudder to think what York would look like had their CC followed the SCC ethos of town planning and architecture

It's part of Sheffield's traditional heritage to knock perfectly good stuff down and say you're going to replace it with something new. Sheffield once had some attractive classical buildings in the city centre.

Was the university responsible for the gem which was the victorian museum on Ecclesall Road? If so, how did it come to be in their hands? What happened to it? How is this protecting Sheffield's heritage?

I understand that the Traditional Heritage Museum on Ecclesall Road[not strictly a Victorian Museum] was owned by the University and that some surplus items have been sold off. Concerns over the Museum collection have been expressed by correspondents to the local press and I've been told that a letter ,slightly critical of the University, was submitted for publication and not published.

The collection, housed in an attractive but disused church, deserves a better home where the public can have greater access to it.What happens to the church[i'm not sure whether it has listed 'protection'] after the collection is rehoused is a matter for speculation

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 20:49 ----------

It's part of Sheffield's traditional heritage to knock perfectly good stuff down and say you're going to replace it with something new. Sheffield once had some attractive classical buildings in the city centre.

Sheffield still does-the University, to their credit, recently published a useful leaflet as part of their excellent 'Festival of the Mind'.

Edited by Wardsbitter
WORD JUMBLE

I'm beginning to think Longcol and Tbtc have personal interests in the university other wise they wouldn't be making such a big deal about it unless its just real hatred of old buildings.Anyhow I'm fed up with this now let's just wait and see what the government says.

Ah, the old "try to turn the argument into personal insults and claim some conspiracy" argument. A classic :hihi:

I'm just someone who thinks that Sheffield should have more aspiration than lowest common denominator shop jobs - I appreciate that I'm in a minority though.

Ah, the old "try to turn the argument into personal insults and claim some conspiracy" argument. A classic :hihi:

I'm just someone who thinks that Sheffield should have more aspiration than lowest common denominator shop jobs - I appreciate that I'm in a minority though.

Your earlier post does not make much sense as you are talking as though if the edwardian building is kept the university wont get its new facilities,it will just in a slightly different building which will not make the slightest bit of difference to the students learning their skills.You are saying that there should be no jobs for the people who are of average education just the intelligent.The NEXT and IKEA could have been built to provide some jobs and the university would get its building to provide jobs in the engineering trade.I dont see the problem only that the wealthy university would have to spend more money and that somehow bothers you even though its not going to effect you.I dont see how that was an insult just an observation,i would like to say what i think of you but i would not be allowed by the forum rules.

Edited by ghost rider