Jessops demolition megathread

In its physical condition,its an eyesore and needs to be demolished.

Even if the building can be considered an eyesore that is purely because the University has allowed it to happen in order to further their cause.

If you don't decorate your house or undertake any maintenance for 5 years then perhaps it too would look an eyesore.

Even if the building can be considered an eyesore that is purely because the University has allowed it to happen in order to further their cause.

If you don't decorate your house or undertake any maintenance for 5 years then perhaps it too would look an eyesore.

Fair point.

Well P-Shooter And TC

Nice to see that the most controversial proposal to demolish a sound listed building in Sheffield for donkeys years can be conducted in a civilised manner.

Imagine if joe public hadn't stood up and been counted we wouldn't have the regenerated heritage such as Leopold Square, Leader House, Gladstone Buildings. To demolish Jessops Edwardian Wing is as bad as demolishing them would have been.

WB

so let sentimentality get in the way of progress eh.

If what the council did to Sheffield in the post-war decades is progress, give me sentimentality any day.

And here's what it's going to be replaced by.

Classy, not.

Seems a real shame that because of a 5% cost difference we're going to bulldoze a part of our past and replace it with that ugly mess.

Maria Miller as Secretary of State can overturn the decision, might be worth dropping her a line

[email protected] (her MP's addy, which technically should not be used for matters relating to her ministerial work, but a CC probably wouldn't hurt to ensure she actually becomes aware of the issue) and [email protected] "FAO the Secretary of State, Maria Miller MP" are her contact details.

the Jessops campaign was not about sentimentality. It was about many things, it was about a principle ie how you treat a listed building.Sentimentality was probably an element as regards the listing of Park Hill......

I like the proposed building, though think it should actually use more of the available floorspace to make it even larger - once it's built it'll be difficult ever to expand it in an elegant manner if they need more space; it doesn't need to be as set-back as it is on two of the sides, and could be one or two storeys higher.

I hate to see the old building go, but it just didn't fit in anymore. It wasn't the building that any of us were born in anyway. I just wish that they would salvage the detailng for use somewhere else rather than breaking it all up.

Rob

If the original fitted in, which it does, then so could have the 1902 wing, once restored.

I actually think the proposed new engineering building looks interesting but for goodness sake no higher ! Its a building not a leviathan !

Wards Bitter.

From the councils planning document-

Section 2.25 Challenge 14: A city with character

"The challenge is to protect and enhance the best of its buildings"

Oh yeah?

Very disappointed with the decision to progress.

In my objection to the planning application I noted the fact that several sites nearby are larger, have been cleared for many years (and presumably available for purchase), and thus cheaper to build on, appeared to weaken the argument the University put forward that it was necessary to demolish a listed building so as to create space for a new one.

1) The site bound by Newcastle, Portobello, Rockingham Streets is vacant and has been for years. It is also right next to the Hadfield/Mappin/Johnson buildings complex that houses their Engineering depts.

2) The site bound by Broad Lane and Garden Street is also cleared for development and directly abuts the North Campus site.

How are these alternatives not suitable?