Jessops demolition megathread

Dan beat me to it, was going to come back and say there are untouched blocks behind the revamped seciton.

The Edwardian part is still a rather beautiful building and I still think that it could be used. According to the article though they are claiming that they would lose out on lots of useful space if they did. Have they submitted plans yet?

The Edwardian part is still a rather beautiful building and I still think that it could be used. According to the article though they are claiming that they would lose out on lots of useful space if they did. Have they submitted plans yet?

They can cram about 10% more desks in by demolishing and rebuilding. It's simply an efficiency saving.

I think a campaign against it (i.e. in favour of the options that renovates it instead) would be quite strongly supported and probably successful. I don't think the University would have the stomach for a fight against the community it's trying to increase its links with.

A lot of people in the city have an emotional connection to the building because they were born there.

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

I must be behind the times. When I attended Sheffield University several decades ago, there used to be a cemetery in the square that separates the Jessop's building from what used to be called the Engineering building. Now I see that there's a modern looking building on the site of that graveyard. How long ago did that happen? It's not a part of Sheffield that I visit when I travel there. So, for all I know it could have been 40 years ago. :huh:

St Georges Church and the Graveyard are still there. The more modern looking building (Bio Incubator) is standing on the old 1970's part of the Jessops hospital.

I thought that the proposed building was to contain modern labspace and lecture theatres etc for undergraduates which is great but I am upset about the loss of a lovely building to do so.

Edited by Lucy-Lastic

St Georges Church and the Graveyard are still there. The more modern looking building (Bio Incubator) is standing on the old 1970's part of the Jessops hospital.

When was it built? It looks out of character. Unless the objective is to knock everything around it down and then it will be the new character. :huh:

When was it built? It looks out of character. Unless the objective is to knock everything around it down and then it will be the new character. :huh:

If you are talking about the building that is in the Telegraph photo, I think that was built about 10 years ago.

Educational Vandalism ... how comes they got their hands on it anyway?

I presume they had the money and paid for it

Make that old derelict eyesores.

Oh dear, I presume you are the kind of person that would be happy to see all old buildings demolished in favour of new ones. Do you find all old buildings eyesores or just that one?

Has Sheffield University been granted permission to demolish a Grade II listed building? I would like to know on what grounds was the permission granted. For the simple reason, I thought listed buildings were protected. If you can protect Park Hill flats (yes I know its a Grade II*) from being demolished, why can't we protect the old Jessop's Hospital?

The Jessops hospital building is no eyesore, its a great period building.

it's an eyesore , what little architectural merit it may have had has been lost by the huge variety of additions and changes made over it's life as a working hospital, very few hospitals are deemed worthy of listing and even then it's only parts and at grade 2 - as is the case with the Jessop site

as for the listing of modern buildings, if a building exemplifies it's type and is relatively unmolested from it's original form then it might well be listed