How long to move house?

Has anyone moved house recently?

How long is it taking to move house from offer to completion?

I'm hoping things are going through quickly due to time of year and slow housing market.

Any advice or info greatly appreciated x

time of year means things will go much slower !

we were in no chain situation, with approved mortgage, purchasing a reposession and it still took around 6 weeks from memory :/

if there is any chain, chances are it will take longer - the house just down the road accepted an offer just before we agreed our sale and they didn't move until another 4 weeks after us

alot depends on your solicitor and how quick he responds to the other parties solicitor, it took 8 weeks the last time i sold for my solicitor to even contact the other parties solicitor, he was a complete waste of time and even decided to take the day of on the day of completion so no monies were transfered.

It also depends on how long the searches take to complete, it's outside the solicitors control and can sometimes introduce a large delay.

You don't give any information about your chain so it is difficult for anyone to predict. It is almost like saying 'how long is a piece of string?'. If you have a long chain and someone drops out it could take months before another buyer is found. If someone's solicitor goes on holiday for two weeks, that might delay things too. Might be helpful if you explained more about your situation, but even then things can, and do often get delayed for different reasons.

alot depends on your solicitor and how quick he responds to the other parties solicitor, it took 8 weeks the last time i sold for my solicitor to even contact the other parties solicitor, he was a complete waste of time and even decided to take the day of on the day of completion so no monies were transfered.

Get your solicitor to sue him!

Mine took about 12 weeks start to finish, but the time of year and bank holidays this may cause delays. It also depends whether you are buying and selling at the same time and if you are in a chain as you will have to wait for other parties to move forward also. Good luck!

Depends completely on the situation.

I just moved house. Purchased in march 2012 but due to the lease requiring we waited 5 months for the lease and sale to go through before the seller pulled out. It would have taken about 6-7 months in total with the lease extension, so expect to wait MUCH longer if a lease extension is involved!

Moved into a new build, literally took 2 months for the sale to complete including a few delays with the build itself!

Thanks for all your replies.

We have first time buyers buying our house and the people we are buying from are moving into rented so a very small chain.

It sounds like the property market hasn't done anything to speed up the transactions lol. I thought as less properties were being bought and sold that things may be quicker but from your posts it sounds like thats not the case.

Fingers crossed and with a bit of pushing from me we will be in soon x

We bought in may and it took 6 months to go through!! this was all down to the vendors solicitors and complications with their side.

my father in law just sold his house.it took 6 weeks for the start to completion when contracts where exchanged.

It always depends on the chain length; all transactions will proceed at the speed of the slowest.

That's why it's always preferable:

a. to sell to a first-time buyer (or to a cash buyer- if genuine); or

b. to buy from a last-time seller [e.g. executor/administrator or mortgagee].