Who gave teachers the right to tell children that Santa doesn't exist?

Because its a nice harmless fun thing to do with young children in our life and theirs

Are all lies told to children nice and harmless "fun"?

It's not unreasonable to assume that 10 year olds don't believe in Santa anymore.

This is a fair assumption. Out of about 300 kids I enlightened this year (a record for me, I usually only manage 100 or so), only one crier was over the age of 10.

They get over it...so can you :)

They get over it...

So why do you want to perpetuate it if "they get over it"?

:)

No. Why is it so essential to you that we debunk the Santa myth and subject kids to brutal honesty as quickly as possible?

We spend our whole lives lying to people, this is one of the nicest, least harmful, most altruistic, most fun, most sociable lies that creates the best family memories and is part of the essence of childhood so why the urgency to be rid of it?

Don't give me rubbish about not lying to kids because we lie to kids constantly. We lie to everyone constantly, lying is an essential part of society, its an essential part of your psychological makeup. The ability to lie and lie well is paramount to getting through life. People lie on this forum all the time for example. You probably lie to your partner if you have one. You probably lie to your boss and you lie to your loved ones. If anything wanting to not carry on the santa thing is lazy parenting, its because you can't be bothered to do it.

No. Why is it so essential to you that we debunk the Santa myth and subject kids to brutal honesty as quickly as possible?

We spend our whole lives lying to people, this is one of the nicest, least harmful, most altruistic, most fun, most sociable lies that creates the best family memories and is part of the essence of childhood so why the urgency to be rid of it?

Don't give me rubbish about not lying to kids because we lie to kids constantly. We lie to everyone constantly, lying is an essential part of society, its an essential part of your psychological makeup. The ability to lie and lie well is paramount to getting through life. People lie on this forum all the time for example. You probably lie to your partner if you have one. You probably lie to your boss and you lie to your loved ones. If anything wanting to not carry on the santa thing is lazy parenting, its because you can't be bothered to do it.

What a load of bunkum, I don't think many 9-10 year old children still believe in father Christmas or the easter bunny. Some little darlings at this age are out mugging OAPs. I stopped believing when I was about 5 and looked out of the window at midnight to find the bells my parents had told me were sleigh bells were the pikelet mans, this was in 1956. Also I don't lie to my OH, my boss or anybody else for that matter

What a load of bunkum, I don't think many 9-10 year old children still believe in father Christmas or the easter bunny. Some little darlings at this age are out mugging OAPs. I stopped believing when I was about 5 and looked out of the window at midnight to find the bells my parents had told me were sleigh bells were the pikelet mans, this was in 1956. Also I don't lie to my OH, my boss or anybody else for that matter

I dont think many 9 year olds are out mugging OAPs.Perhaps you have been mugged but you can count yourself unlucky if it is to a 9 year old?Your parents have spoilt the Xmas dream prematurely.

Also I don't lie to my OH, my boss or anybody else for that matter
Yes you do.

You may not tell them outright whopping lies. They may just be little white lies. It may be you don't volunteer information or you tell them what they want to hear or you structure an answer in a strategic way but its still a lie. You don't go around telling the entire truth all day. Your life would be unmanageable.

You lie on this forum. Every time you use google and don't credit the source when you do you lie. You are passing off knowledge thats not yours. Granted its not an earthshattering lie, hardly Watergate, but its still a lie.

Why is it so essential to you that we debunk the Santa myth and subject kids to brutal honesty as quickly as possible?

I never said it was.

My position is that, if they are old enough to ask for the truth, they should be given it. :)

We spend our whole lives lying to people

I don't.

this is one of the nicest, least harmful, most altruistic, most fun, most sociable lies that creates the best family memories

My happiest Christmas memories are being with my family. I don't think I was hurt by a Santa myth, but I equally don't think I was harmed to find out it was false.

I have a nice memory of school putting footprints around at Easter to show that the Easter Bunny had visited. I would've been ... 6-8ish. Yet again, it's a nice memory, but that could easily have been a nice memory because I was with friends and searching the chocolate. I can't say the Bunny-myth in particular brought me any pleasure, nor any pain to leave it behind.

Don't give me rubbish about not lying to kids because we lie to kids constantly. We lie to everyone constantly

No I don't. You're projecting something onto me that isn't true.

If anything wanting to not carry on the santa thing is lazy parenting, its because you can't be bothered to do it.

When a 9 year old child is out-smarting you, I think it is time to give it up. It's quite good parenting, I think, if your child can spot the nonsense.

:)

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

Many people believe in weird mythical people. It's not your place, or any teachers place to tell other peoples' children that Santa doesn't exist.

Children will find out he's not real in their own time.

Reread my post please. I point out that there is not too much wrong with what the parents may want the child to believe. I'm saying that it is up to the parents to point this out to teachers if they do not want the child to know differently. I do however, think that by the age of nine, most children have stopped believing in Father Christmas.

No I don't. You're projecting something onto me that isn't true.
How often do you use google on this forum to look some piece of information up and do you always credit the source when you do? If you don't you're a liar. You've passed off knowledge that isn't yours. You've lied to us.

How often have you told your partner they look fine or good when they've asked when you've not looked? We've all done it. You're a liar.

Ever told someone its in the post when it isn't? Liar.

Ever bumped into someone and said sorry? You weren't sorry you liar.

None of these things are big lies but they are lies. We're merely discussing size. You aren't George Washington. You do tell lies, we all do.

Surely the person who claims they never lie is an oxymoronic fabricator.