Jess Ennis buys £1m house in city

Sorry, but any society or culture that can reward someone so generously, for simply excelling for a relatively short time in what they enjoy doing most, while simultaniously neglecting people who have spent a lifetime excelling in what they enjoy doing least, is fundamentally flawed!

Good on yer, I toally agree. And no doubt there will be a few extra MBE's given out in a couple of weeks instead of to dinner ladies and the like.

Yes but how far can he jump?

About as far as 'Our Jess' can manouvre a 32 ton Scania up to a narrow loading bay, in reverse.

But how fast can he run?

And how many Olympic medals has he won? How has he raised the profile of British sport?

Good luck to her.

She always conducts herself well in public and sets a good example to the younger generation. She's an example of what can be achieved if you work hard and follow your dream.

I've far more time for Jess Ennis than the likes of Rooney and Joey Barton.

Regards

Doom

I'm glad she is enjoying the rewards of her dedicated hard work. We should treasure her.

She didn't put as many hours as my old man, driving an H.G.V vehicle up and down the length and breadth of the country for (yes!) 55 years and is now struggling on a state pension!

Come on get real,Jess is the best in her field she's unique ,unfortunately driving a lorry is not unique thousands do it everyday.If he could drive it blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back that would be unique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alchresearch

I suppose you do know how many hours she's put in to reach that level of excellence?

She deserves everything she has got and its great news she's not fled the city now she's successful.

She didn't put as many hours as my old man, driving an H.G.V vehicle up and down the length and breadth of the country for (yes!) 55 years and is now struggling on a state pension!

shoulda done better at school then. That and set up a private pension.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 19-12-2012 at 09:32 ----------

oops, quoted wrong person but you get what I mean!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'm glad she is enjoying the rewards of her dedicated hard work. We should treasure her.

The British (despite our ongoing self delusion) have always been recognised as a bunch of servile twerps, how quick we are to reinforce this perception! We desperately need to elevate people to godlike 'celeb' status so we can fall at their feet and let them dictate to us what we wear, how to have our hair etc, continually lavishing them with more money and position (knighthoods, awards, keys to the city etc) to reinforce the whole process.We have lost any national self esteem long ago and please, please don't mention the olympics!

Edited by beefface

Agree totally -- just the 'feel good' factor she's given to so many Sheffielders is priceless.. can't be doing with negative stuff.

I agree, she deserves to enjoy the fruits of her hard work.

I think the thread should be closed now before the sarky negative comments get out of hand.

Just my view.

Unfortunately you can't compare one against the other- there aren't any logical parallels! You could say that she has spent over half her life getting where she is now - she's only 26 and has been anticipating in sport since she was 11 or earlier (I only say 11 cos she was in the same year as my son at school and sports awards ceremonies were dominated by her (nicely)even back then)

So proportionally she may have put in the same hours as your hubby although that doesn't devalue what he has done, it's just different!

Unfortunately you can't compare one against the other- there aren't any logical parallels! You could say that she has spent over half her life getting where she is now - she's only 26 and has been anticipating in sport since she was 11 or earlier (I only say 11 cos she was in the same year as my son at school and sports awards ceremonies were dominated by her (nicely)even back then)

So proportionally she may have put in the same hours as your hubby although that doesn't devalue what he has done, it's just different!

I'm not talking about my husband, it's my Dad! and I'm afraid the rewards he gets compared to what 'Sheffield's Golden Girl' gets does devalue what he does!