Employer honouring a pre-booked holiday

I recently joined a new company and they have agreed to honour a holiday which I had booked prior to joining them.

This may well be a daft question, but as I have never been in this position before I'm clueless about this, but by honouring does this men they will pay me for the week I'm off or simply allow me the time off?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Holidays are normally accrued, such that if you get 25 days per year , you will accrue 25/12 = 2.08 days holiday for every month that you work there. If you have accrued enough holidays when the time off arrives you will get paid. That is how it usually works.

Holidays are normally accrued, such that if you get 25 days per year , you will accrue 25/12 = 2.08 days holiday for every month that you work there. If you have accrued enough holidays when the time off arrives you will get paid. That is how it usually works.

I suspected that may be the answer. Thanks for replying:thumbsup:

I recently joined a new company and they have agreed to honour a holiday which I had booked prior to joining them.

This may well be a daft question, but as I have never been in this position before I'm clueless about this, but by honouring does this men they will pay me for the week I'm off or simply allow me the time off?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Depends on your contract. Sometimes holidays are accrued. However, if your contract states that you are entitled to, say 25 days per year, you should get paid for them, regardless.

You should probably just ask them, but if it's a reasonable sized company they will probably just pay you (even though you haven't accrued enough holiday technically), and the leave will be taken out of holiday that you accrue after that point.

At the end of the year so long as you haven't over used your holiday entitlement you will have been correctly paid for all your holiday entitlement.

Depends on your contract. Sometimes holidays are accrued. However, if your contract states that you are entitled to, say 25 days per year, you should get paid for them, regardless.

Yep, check your contract (or contact HR if your new company has one). You quite often find that holidays are accrued in the first year of employment with the job lot being given up front for subsequent years.

jb

...by honouring does this men they will pay me for the week I'm off or simply allow me the time off?

They probably just mean that you don't have to go through the usual process of applying for those dates and seeking approval.

Whenever I've started a new job I've always told them I had Christmas booked off at my old place so expect them to honour it :-)

How it's paid/accrued is something else.

Thanks eveyone for your replies - looks like a conversation with the HR department is in order!