Car cutting out

I wondered if any of you have any ideas please ! My husband has a Mazda Capella ,petrol ,about 7 years old . When he's driving up a hill towards a junction and puts the car in neutral to roll to the junction the engine is cutting out . He can start it again immediately!

The mechanic is stumped ! He brought someone in yesterday to take it back to factory status but still couldn't find anything wrong . They have had the tester on it as well ,sorry don't know the proper name . I know he shouldn't be out of gear but I think its something quite a few people do .Bottom line the engine shouldn't be cutting out like that .It only happens if there is a slight incline and not if he stays in gear .Have any of you lovely people any ideas ? Thank you in advance !

I very much doubt it is a Mazda Capella at only 7 years old. The Capella is a mid 70's car that was replaced by the 626 and now 6 series, so I will assume it is a Mazda 6?

I am no mechanic, but it sounds to me like the engine doesn't like being disengaged, ie. the neutral gear position isn't feeding the engine enough. This could be the result of too lean supply of fuel, especially on an incline (could be harder to get fuel through due to the incline). I would say, don't worry about it - just don't do it anymore!

I very much doubt it is a Mazda Capella at only 7 years old. The Capella is a mid 70's car that was replaced by the 626 and now 6 series, so I will assume it is a Mazda 6?

I am no mechanic, but it sounds to me like the engine doesn't like being disengaged, ie. the neutral gear position isn't feeding the engine enough. This could be the result of too lean supply of fuel, especially on an incline (could be harder to get fuel through due to the incline). I would say, don't worry about it - just don't do it anymore!

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/owners-reviews/mazda/2/hatchback-2003/review/20120205102459/

It's this one ! So Capella series 2 I think it's some sort of limited edition .

Thank you for your reply I will pass it on .The cutting out is a recent thing ,never done it in the past 7 years ,very strange !

The 1.4 Ford engines they use do have issues with the idle air control valve, causing them to cut out approaching junctions and stuff.

Thank you Geared that sounds like it could be the problem !

I had a similar problem with a cavalier, turned out to be a corroded wire on the fuel pump. Different car, I know, but it might be a pointer,

Coilpacks as in Coil-on-plug coilpacks are very expensive.

Simpler systems with just the one ignition coil and ignition leads are much cheaper.

From £27 on ebay, for my Scenic, not that expensive.

Hello each

lets hope its not the timing belt(s) giving a warning of breaking.

Thanks for the ideas everyone ! :)

The O2 sensor is a common fail part that would result in problems similar to what you describe.

no it would not, engine will still run with it disconnected.

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 10:24 ----------

I can't see the EGR valve causing it to cut out. The car would run lumpy and maybe go into limp mode.

I've seen some really badly blocked ones and all they've done is cause what feels like a misfire when accelerating.

The egr valve can stick in the open position, if it does the engine will receive a full dose of exhaust gas all the time the engine is running.Years before egr valves were fitted the vauxhall chevette engine had a problem with the heat riser in the inlet manifold burning through and producing the very same result.

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 10:28 ----------

Hello each

lets hope its not the timing belt(s) giving a warning of breaking.

ludicrous comment best laugh today

ludicrous comment best laugh today

No, the best laugh today is looking at someone reply to posts from 2012!