If you were American, would you support greater gun control in the US?

Should gun ownership be more strictly controlled in the US?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should gun ownership be more strictly controlled in the US?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

People in America have always had access to guns. That is why we cannot compare the UK with America. They are different animals.

That's not really a reason NOT to restrict guns in America though is it?

The only member of our police department killed since it's establishment in 1911 was off duty at the time.

He was doing some Saturday afternoon shopping at a local supermarket when two armed men entered the store and after demanding money from one of the cashiers started to beat her over the head with the butts of their revolvers.

The officer was able to respond immediately since off duty policeman are allowed to carry a firearm. He shot and killed one of the robbers, wounding another who was arrested but was killed himself by a bullet from one of the robber's guns. It's pretty reasonable to assume that he saved the cashier from further injury or even death

The two robbers had criminal records going back a long way some of their criminal acts involving violent behaviour.

Edited by Harleyman

5904 posts since November 2010. Are they all as ridiulous as this one?. I haven't had that many from 2004. I know the next post coming. "Whats that to do with anything ".

Ah, the old "I know you are but what am I?"

The old ones are the best :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 21:11 ----------

The only member of our police department killed since it's establishment in 1911 was off duty at the time.

He was doing some Saturday afternoon shopping at a local supermarket when two armed men entered the store and after demanding money from one of the casshiers started to beat her over the head with the butts of their revolvers.

The officer was able to respond immediately since off duty policeman are allowed to carry a firearm. He shot and killed one of the robbers, wounding another who was arrested but was killed himself by a bullet from one of the robber's guns. It's pretty reasonable to assume that he saved the cashier from further injury or even death

The two robbers had criminal records going back a long way some of their criminal acts involving violent behaviour.

3 guns and 2 dead. Great argument.

Ok. How are you who knows nothing about the problem and culture going to sort it out? What measures would you bring in to improve the situation?:)

I am waiting mouthpiece.:huh:

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 21:17 ----------

Justice is done!!!!

Innocent lives saved by guns!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOmtyTJ2f0

The other robber got charged with murder too!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by Bolster

Well I'm certainly not turning mine in until EVERY gun toting criminal in the US has done the same. I'm a law abiding citizen and I fail to see why I should not enjoy the same possession of a firearm as some scum bag worthless member of society does.

Ok. How are you who knows nothing about the problem and culture going to sort it out? What measures would you bring in to improve the situation?:)

I am waiting mouthpiece.:huh:

I haven't said I will sort it out.

If I had to give a suggestion though, I'd say ban guns (to civilians) that have no productive purpose.

If you ban hand guns and assault rifles and enforce this ban with harsh punishment, there will slowly, over generations, be less and less guns in circulation.

It will take a long time but eventually it will happen. Less guns = less gun related deaths.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 21:22 ----------

Well I'm certainly not turning mine in until EVERY gun toting criminal in the US has done the same. I'm a law abiding citizen and I fail to see why I should not enjoy the same possession of a firearm as some scum bag worthless member of society does.

I haven't said you should. If guns were banned though, would you hand it/them in?

Edited by RootsBooster

I haven't said I will sort it out.

If I had to give a suggestion though, I'd say ban guns (to civilians) that have no productive purpose.

If you ban hand guns and assault rifles and enforce this ban with harsh punishment, there will slowly, over generations, be less and less guns in circulation.

It will take a long time but eventually it will happen. Less guns = less gun related deaths.

So if weapons were made illegal for civilians , who would be more likely to hand their weapons in? Would it be honest hard working people or crooks? I will give you a little time to think about it as it is a difficult question for you.:suspect:

Ah, the old "I know you are but what am I?"

The old ones are the best :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 21:11 ----------

3 guns and 2 dead. Great argument.

So what would you have done in that situation Judge? :D Lets have some input on exactly how you think that situation should have been handled.

I'm a bit tired of hearing your sermonizing but nothing of substenance to go with it

Edited by Harleyman

So if weapons were made illegal for civilians , who would be more likely to hand their weapons in? Would it be honest hard working people or crooks? I will give you a little time to think about it as it is a difficult question for you.:suspect:

Like I said, it will take a long time.

There will always be illegal guns, just like there is here in England.

Guns take a lot of wear and impact, they need to be looked after, cleaned and serviced. Illegal guns tend to not be looked after, in many cases they discarded after being used in a crime to dispose of the evidence. Many are confiscated when police arrest the criminal or do a stop/search. Some guns are just old and crappy anyway, on their last legs, which is how some criminals come by them in the first place.

Whatever the reason, the majority of current illegal guns will eventually fade out of circulation. There will always be illegal guns but if it is harder to replace them when they are gone, there will be less illegal guns.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 21:34 ----------

So what would you have done in that situation Judge? :D Lets have some input on exactly how you think that situation should have been handled.

I'm a bit tired of hearing your sermonizing but nothing of substenance to go with it

I don't know enough details, all I know is what you've told me:

Robbers hit cashier with the butt of a gun

Off duty cop turns it into a gunfight

2 die.

What judgement are you referring to by the way?

EDIT: Show me a "sermon" of mine with no "substenance" and then explain the word substenance to me please.

Edited by RootsBooster

Guns take a lot of wear and impact, they need to be looked after, cleaned and serviced. Illegal guns tend to not be looked after, in many cases they discarded after being used in a crime to dispose of the evidence. Many are confiscated when police arrest the criminal or do a stop/search. Some guns are just old and crappy anyway, on their last legs, which is how some criminals come by them in the first place.

Whatever the reason, the majority of current illegal guns will eventually fade out of circulation. There will always be illegal guns but if it is harder to replace them when they are gone, there will be less illegal guns.

Eventually is a very very long time. There is a gun culture in America that we do not have in the UK. I would suggest that we English(in my case) keep our big noses out and allow them to come terms with their own problems. I am sure that they know that there is a problem and am just as sure that they are more likely to find an answer to it than we are. To solve a problem I would suggest that we first need to be able to FULLY understand it.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 21:34 ----------

I don't know enough details, all I know is what you've told me:

Robbers hit cashier with the butt of a gun

Off duty cop turns it into a gunfight

2 die.

What judgement are you referring to by the way?

I'm asking you plain and simple. What would you have done in the place of officer Louis Pompeii?

A. Told them to stop beating the cashier over the head and hoping that they would?

B. Drawn your gun and ordered them to stop which would have been a bit better than A

C. They turned their guns on you (as what witnesses say happened) and you would have shot first or waited for them to kill you instead?

Lets hear it

Eventually is a very very long time.

No, eventually is however long it takes. I do believe it would take a very long time though, generations in fact

There is a gun culture in America that we do not have in the UK. I would suggest that we English(in my case) keep our big noses out and allow them to come terms with their own problems. I am sure that they know that there is a problem and am just as sure that they are more likely to find an answer to it than we are. To solve a problem I would suggest that we first need to be able to FULLY understand it.

Other than this discussion, which is just a discussion and of no consequence, I don't think the English have stuck their big noses in, have they?