How many more? School shooting, many dead.

ive already given my view on why i dont think itll work

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9421396&postcount=161

Except when it sometimes does. In Pearl Mississippi back in 1999in a case that closely mirrors the Sandy Hook shootings, a student killed his mother, loaded his trench coat with enough ammunition to cause a higher body count than at sandy hook, and then drove his mothers car to his high school. He killed 2 students and wounded 7 others before the schools assistant principle forced him to surrender at gunpoint with a .45 cal pistol held point blank at his head.

Saying that you dont think it will work is a disservice to the many other students that could have died had the assistant principal not had access to a gun. :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting

Who is?

There is only one post on this thread which I would say could be classed as gloating, by "bigging up" how amazing they think their country is in a bizarre way to justify why the general public need assault weapons.

People saying they're shocked that so many young children can be killed through no fault of their own and wanting to discuss why it happened and how it can be stopped from happening again is not gloating.

Saying that you're less likely to be shot in the UK than the US is not gloating.

Saying that owning five or more guns is excessive is not gloating.

Saying that there are too many of these types of events in the US is not gloating.

Some are opinions, some can be backed up with statistics and are therefore facts. Pointing out those facts is still not gloating though.

If you want a thread which is just for condolances and sympathy posts, you could create your own, as it is patently not what this thread was set up to discuss. The question posed in the very first post was, after all, "one has to ask will the USA ever take serious steps to limit the access of the public to firearms?".

How many posts would happen before the subject of gun control came up again?

They just cant help it. It's always "you're so gun crazy and we're so sensible by comaprison" It gets a bit old after awhile. Gloating might be substituted for "smugness"

They just cant help it. It's always "you're so gun crazy and we're so sensible by comaprison" It gets a bit old after awhile. Gloating might be substituted for "smugness"

Your complacency is simply appalling.

I think when you have very young kids in your family as we do, garndaughters 8, 6 and 3 that these kind of atrocities hit much closer to home.

The other night we watched the Mass for the victims held in Newtown. President Obama was among the mourners and spoke at length to the gathering.

The hardest part is when they showed the names and photos of these children. My wife was in tears and me close to it

We've all suffered some degree of trauma. There's a closeness based on that Connecticut is a State in the country we live in and most of us are very happy to live in and other ways that have affected us also

The day after the shooting occured I was bringing two of the kids to our house after school. The music on the car radio was interrupted by the latest news of the shooting. I didnt want the kids to hear any of it so turned the radio off quickly

We also have to watch the news out of the way on the TV in our bedroom when the kids are at our house

You never know how they could react. They might not want to go to school and I dont want to hear any of them ask "Will anyone come and shoot us at our school"?

Its bound to have affected you deeply when its so close to home,and you have grandchildren so young. Its been the main focus of attention in the last few days,and is likely to be for a while yet where you are.Its been the major news item here,apart from today.

It will have created a climate of fear with children and young people in the USA hearing about it so much,but especially in Connectiicut,and fear and panic can be contagious can't it.

I hear they have even had a couple of false alarms in or around the Newtown area,with gun shots being reported.It seems natural under those circumstances that some people will feel more inclined to want to own a gun for protection, reacting to the irrational fear that there are loads of disturbed people going about carrying guns.

In case no-one noticed

Berners-Lee invented the hypertext transfer protocol (http), NOT "the internet", which is a 100% American invention, with its roots in the Defence Department. It owes its success to packet switching, which is a British invention though.

Who invented what is a pretty irrelevant argument for anything - trading on the glories of others.

I never heard of this Berners Lee character. Th duigital camera as we know it today came to pass with the need, during Desert Storm in 1990, to get instantaneous photos of battle conditions back to base. In the end it made film cameras, especially 35 mils, almost extinct.

I never heard of this Berners Lee character. Th duigital camera as we know it today came to pass with the need, during Desert Storm in 1990, to get instantaneous photos of battle conditions back to base. In the end it made film cameras, especially 35 mils, almost extinct.

I take it the point of Phanerothyme's post went completely over your head

So glad to see the people complaining about a lack of dignity and respect are maintaining the appropriate tone.

Edited by Fivetide
janie48's right... apologies...

I can see this thread being closed down in no time,with antagonising remarks one after another,pathetic!

Its bound to have affected you deeply when its so close to home,and you have grandchildren so young. Its been the main focus of attention in the last few days,and is likely to be for a while yet where you are.Its been the major news item here,apart from today.

It will have created a climate of fear with children and young people in the USA hearing about it so much,but especially in Connectiicut,and fear and panic can be contagious can't it.

I hear they have even had a couple of false alarms in or around the Newtown area,with gun shots being reported.It seems natural under those circumstances that some people will feel more inclined to want to own a gun for protection, reacting to the irrational fear that there are loads of disturbed people going about carrying guns.

I would venture to suggestl the fears the survivors are feeling are far from irrational.

---------- Post added 18-12-2012 at 20:54 ----------

I take it the point of Phanerothyme's post went completely over your head
You got that right, happy now?

I would venture to suggestl the fears the survivors are feeling are far from irrational.

---------- Post added 18-12-2012 at 20:54 ----------

Which just illustrates nicely how far removed from reality you really are; of course it's irrational to buy a gun after an event like this - it increases the likelihood of others meeting a violent death.

An american was arguing in favour of guns the other day, based on the holocaust, apparently, if germany hadnt had strict gun controls, allowing the jews to be armed, the holocaust wouldnt have happened.

An american was arguing in favour of guns the other day, based on the holocaust, apparently, if germany hadnt had strict gun controls, allowing the jews to be armed, the holocaust wouldnt have happened.

Amazing isn't it. Think of a dumb story then ad a bit of holocaust to give it gravity, and hopefully other dumb schmucks will believe it adding credibility.

Even the NRA couldn't make that one up.

On second thoughts...

Edited by skinz