2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Some of the road closures will be to allow adequate access for emergency vehicles to get from the route of the race to Hospitals in case there is any sort of incident

Werent you banging on about how you watched 4 hours a day of TDF because you take it seriously and have done so ever since you were a baby. Contrast that with the hypocritical sheffielders who dare be interested or turn up to watch the event. Im surpised they havent made a spectator spot just for you.

I have chosen from where I will watch the tour when they come. There are few places from where two different parts of the route with few minutes difference for the cyclist in between are only one minute walk separated.

That way you can see them come by twice from nearly the same place.

Probably been melted down by SCC's crack recycling team for road markings and grit bins. :)

I can see a few scrappy`s having a field day with those stupid yellow bikes . Anything left at the side of the road is fair game

Noticed the pace car and 3 riders from SKY were in Sheffield today doing the route.

Why are you surprised? I don't bother keeping statistical information pumped in my head like most people do, rather give it the room and space to enjoy every moment as it comes.

Never expected you to some kind of extensive knowledge of days years towns and city's the race has visited with a brain full of stats but clearly you have some knowledge of the race. You've watched it for hours on end and it's a huge talking point over in mainland europe. One would have expected you to have at least known that the race has visited England before.

Why are you surprised? I don't bother keeping statistical information pumped in my head like most people do, rather give it the room and space to enjoy every moment as it comes.

So what you're saying is that we should talk whatever you say with a large pinch of salt?

Does it actually say Road Closed . As the ones I saw

just said Roads Closed Which I took to be

a general reminder of road closures on Sunday the 6th July

Yes you're right, I drove passed a little slower tonight and they say " Roads Closed on 6th July " not Road Closed but they are not saying which roads so better check in advance.

Anyone wanting to travel on the closed roads on the 6th July can - if you have a bicycle :) they'll be open to cyclists until an hour or two before the caravan arrives - which is forecast to be around 1.45pm off the A616 towards Midhopestones.

I have a feeling that they are putting the vague signs up in an attempt to discourage unnecessary car journeys, to give the impression that more roads will be closed than actually are.

I currently don't NEED to get to work on the day of the race, so will be doing anything that might involve travel during the week or Saturday. I do appreciate that some people DO have to get places or that emergencies / sudden unavoidable issues happen. So it's helpful to everyone if I don't make an unnecessary trip and clog up the roads that are open and will be more congested than normal. For the majority the world won't stop if they don't partake in a particular Sunday ritual for one single Sunday of their lives - leaving it free for those who do have a genuine NEED (rather than a desire) to make a journey.

Never expected you to some kind of extensive knowledge of days years towns and city's the race has visited with a brain full of stats but clearly you have some knowledge of the race. You've watched it for hours on end and it's a huge talking point over in mainland europe. One would have expected you to have at least known that the race has visited England before.

My knowledge about tour the france became old useless and historic when I left Europe and stayed that way in Sheffield. You don't see or hear much about it in day to day life here, but new knowledge about other interesting things entered my life in Sheffield.

There are only very few here who have ever watched complete stages of the tour before or followed professional racing cycling.

Now all of a sudden they come to Sheffield/south Yorkshire many pretend to know all about it.

I don't know everything about it, it is not a big interest to me any longer otherwise I would not have come here and gone somewhere else.

Only reason people get angry is because it is true that all this sudden knowledge and interest is only because they are coming here, it was not there before.

---------- Post added 25-06-2014 at 10:12 ----------

When someone develops an interest in something and goes out there to develop that interest that interest is complete and authentic.

When a big international event that has been around for more than 100 years comes right to your city while closing main roads and public transport someone shows interest it is only coincidental.

A coincidental interest is not authentic or original. It only started because the event came with such force it is almost impossible to ignore it.

Tour the france is very sexist, there are no women taking part in it. Right insulting as Beryl Burton was from west Yorkshire. We should get a right load of woman cycling that day handing Liquorice allsorts to the TDF riders

Edited by dutch

Yes you're right, I drove passed a little slower tonight and they say " Roads Closed on 6th July " not Road Closed but they are not saying which roads so better check in advance.

As Church St in Oughtibrige is part of the race route, it will be closed

I would expect The A6102 will be open as far as the Church St junction. and coming from Stocksbridge will be open as far as the Church St junction

Edited by bazjea

It's listed as closed on the council website tho isn't it??