2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

I have been to niagra falls. Got nothing to do with cycling.

I'm sure it hadn't ... I don't think even SCC would have the technical expertise to divert the river Niagara to allow cyclists safe passage, be they on My Little Pony tricycles or full size pedal bikes. I'm not quite sure where hyper is coming from here in all honesty. :huh:

Hah. SCC would probably make Niagara Falls a pedestrian precinct (then dig it up).

But, back on the thread's topic...

Cycling isn't really a sport in my opinion, just a relaxing way of getting about. If I want to go fast I use another two wheeled vehicle ... a motorbike.

'S a good point you have there. Same with that ridiculous running they keep doing at the olympics and suchlike. If they want to get from A to B quickly they should think about using a motor vehicle.

'S a good point you have there. Same with that ridiculous running they keep doing at the olympics and suchlike. If they want to get from A to B quickly they should think about using a motor vehicle.

Real intention is to humiliate the ones who are millisecond slower then they are.

I'd go along with that. I cycle quite a bit, but consider myself to be safe enough to do it without closing all the roads off. I respect faster road users too ... pulling to one side (or stopping) to allow other road users to pass, thus preventing any stress to myself or others (you know what it's like).

Cycling isn't really a sport in my opinion, just a relaxing way of getting about. If I want to go fast I use another two wheeled vehicle ... a motorbike.

Even as a motorcyclist I have very little interest in racing, although competitors in such events as the TT possess much greater skills than any cyclist.

Certainly, if you want to go fast, then a pedal cycle is very definitely the wrong mode of transport, so I can see little point to it.

However, it takes all sorts, so I don't have a problem with those who want to either take part in or watch this particular pursuit. I'd put cycling in the same class of outdoor activities such as archery or cheese rolling, whereby very little skill is involved. Each to their own though ...

Descending the Alps at 50 M.P.H. with just 5mm of rubber tyre between you and the tarmac [plus a couple of rubber brake blocks to hope you can stop if some object appears in the road ]seems to me to take a lot more skill and guts than riding an ultra safe motorised vehicle with all the modern brakes and safety gear.

So apart from a good rant on here, what have you done, like contract SCC to raise your concerns about this event coming to Sheffield to highlight how much distress and inconvenience you think it's going to cause.

Of course.

Besides, even if I had not, you do know that they will have been monitoring this thread. Though I have little doubt that may have escaped you.

I think there will more people enjoying this event coming to sheffield than there will be people who are in a state of distress.

Of course there will, hopefully, but there are some people, like yourself apparently, that are willing to dismiss the negative effects of this event taking place to please the majority. I find that to be a fairly typical but very regretable sign of the times.

What once would have been described as; I'm alright Jack...

Which is perhaps one of the more unpleasant and too often exhibited sides of human nature.

A side that you and some others appear to be exhibiting rather well. If, and undoubtedly when, some people are inconvenienced and or distressed through this event taking place it is my most sincere wish that amongst those that are being inconsiderate one of them is you or perhaps one of your family or friends; Then perhaps you might just learn a lesson in empathy. Though I doubt that.

It's a bit of inconvenience to some balanced against it being good for the citys economy and enjoyment for those who will go to watch.

Blue light services will be unaffected .

Blue light services will be unaffected .

Alas, this is not strictly true.

I refer you to an earlier post by someone other than myself.

Yes let's cancel any event from ever taking place in Sheffield again just incase someone might become distressed by it.

Football matches cancelled, half marathon cancelled***, BUPA 10k cancelled, Sheffield Grand Prix cancelled, Race For Life cancelled and so on and so on.

***if it does actually make a return for 2015.

I think the only way people are going to become distressed is by the scaremongering of certain denizens of Sheffield Forum.

Go on then, which post?

At the moment i'd happier to take the word of the emrgency services over yours.

Edited by 999tigger

Descending the Alps at 50 M.P.H. with just 5mm of rubber tyre between you and the tarmac [plus a couple of rubber brake blocks to hope you can stop if some object appears in the road ]seems to me to take a lot more skill and guts than riding an ultra safe motorised vehicle with all the modern brakes and safety gear.

First time I've heard motor cycle racing as "ultra safe" it takes a great deal of bravery and skill to push the machinery to it's limits with modern safety gear cycle racing is more a case of pushing your body to the limit there's obviously certain skills involved but most races are won on the basis of who cracks first. The sports are completely different but present fascinating challenges. I find cycling far more compelling myself the spectre of individuals using all their energy to destroy their opponent mentally and physically is something to relish.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 16:04 ----------

So you really think that the TDF who organise races all over the world for great profit would risk their reputation and allow someone's death to be caused by the emergency services not being able to get into the hospital? You're just being daft now, they wouldn't sanction the event without a proper plan.

We will enjoy watching the tour and be pleased seeing them riding through Sheffield.

It is great business, cycling has been changed from something genuine and transferred in a banking doping business fight of money, advertising, fighting to be a few minutes/seconds faster on 200 km cycling.

I am not against doing blooddfusion business on a bicycle, it is rather comical and have no objections against it, its not my problem, I don't cycle for money with bloodtransfusion, the tour is more than welcome to do it.

Edited by dutch