2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

I want to get a good spot for watching the tour. I was considering camping at Langsett but for one night it is £70 + £10 parking, though they do have music, beer festival etc. Though I don't want to spend so much on enjoying the event.

My other thought was going to the Bradfield area or Hillsborough, whats everyone else's thoughts and how are you planning to get to Bradfield etc as I doubting whether buses would be able to get close on the day of the event?

The roads should be still open to cycling and pedestrians until 2 hours or so before the caravan arrives, Holmefirth and Holme Moss are so I assume it will be the same here.

We'll be cycling up to Bradfield and watching around Ewden Bank, which is a little bit out of the way and should be fairly quiet compared to the areas closer to the city. We'll probably set off early and ride the Snake Pass first then head over the strines towards Bradfield.

By the way I have spoken with cineworld staff and they told me nobody not even staff is going to get in or out of centertainment carpark on that day.

By the way I have spoken with cineworld staff and they told me nobody not even staff is going to get in or out of centertainment carpark on that day.

Because the emergency services want to get across the message that if you are going it should be on foot or public transport. If thousands of cars come and gridlock the area then that would be a much bigger disaster. Safety is of paramount importance.

Now it's the "Yorkshire English" you give your opinion on. You have probably met less than 0.5% of the population of Sheffield and less of Yorkshire yet you claim Sheffield thinks this, everyone thinks that etc. Your posts are arrogant nonsense, you have no idea of the interests of the vast majority.

There is nothing wrong with being a different culture that has relative little previous interest in cycling. It is great that there may be some change in that and something new and fresh enters in local attention. Long distance competitive cycling is very interesting, passionate, full of surprises.

You will not become better or worse when you do or don't become interested in it.

There are few here who have followed cycling before and know what it is about. For the majority here this tour the france is a very first new fresh experience of something they know very little to next to nothing about and they don't yet have any experience with it.

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 16:50 ----------

Because the emergency services want to get across the message that if you are going it should be on foot or public transport. If thousands of cars come and gridlock the area then that would be a much bigger disaster. Safety is of paramount importance.

That carpark can get chaotic when it gets busy. Police will not want to spent any time there either if something happens.

That carpark can get chaotic when it gets busy. Police will not want to spent any time there either if something happens.

Hence they are not letting it open. Grat for just completely contradicting yourself.

I'm thinking of going to Coronation Park with my family, where would be the best place to park, and what time should I arrive?

I hope the road is open for access , as our lot are camping there, three days of carnival and celebrations inc wide screen telly and bar to watch all the action.

I hope the road is open for access , as our lot are camping there, three days of carnival and celebrations inc wide screen telly and bar to watch all the action.

All the main roads leading in and out of Oughtibridge will be closed but the side roads will be parked up with the locals who will not be able to park outside their homes on the main roads. The buses will not be able to cross Church street because of the cyclist coming downhill and the same with the buses coming from Stocksbridge they will not be able to pass on Low road because the cyclist will be heading towards Jawbone. The residents are pretty much stuck in for the day.

The emergency services [ fire ] have visited most of the residents today

to tell them to be very careful and check your fire alarms, in other words try not to cause a fire because we will have difficulty getting to you.

They also warned about burglaries as there will be a lot of strangers in town.

All the main roads leading in and out of Oughtibridge will be closed but the side roads will be parked up with the locals who will not be able to park outside their homes on the main roads. The buses will not be able to cross Church street because of the cyclist coming downhill and the same with the buses coming from Stocksbridge they will not be able to pass on Low road because the cyclist will be heading towards Jawbone. The residents are pretty much stuck in for the day.

The emergency services [ fire ] have visited most of the residents today

to tell them to be very careful and check your fire alarms, in other words try not to cause a fire because we will have difficulty getting to you.

They also warned about burglaries as there will be a lot of strangers in town.

But the TdF coming here is still a really really good thing right.

And people will not be inconvenienced and /or be caused distress.

LOL

Can't even park outside your own home and stuck in your village never mind every other negative. Don't have a fire, don't be taken ill or have an accident becuase we may not be allowed to help you.

None of these things matter to those whose self-interest come first I suppose.

Edited by Tommo68
correction

LOL

Can't even park outside your own home and stuck in your village never mind every other negative. Don't have a fire, don't be taken ill or have an accident becuase we may not be allowed to help you.

None of these things matter to those whose self-interest come first.

You do know that they have managed to run the tour de France over 100 times without the apocalypse or armageddon?

LOL

None of these things matter to those whose self-interest come first.

'Stuck' in your own village for all of ONE DAY, yet the biggest cycle race in the world shouldn't come here because the self-interest of millions of people should matter less than the self-interest of the few who will be inconvenienced.

Your posts are comedy gold, you obviously hate cyclists so what I suggest is have a nice weekend away somewhere and pretend it isn't happening.

'Stuck' in your own village for all of ONE DAY, yet the biggest cycle race in the world shouldn't come here because the self-interest of millions of people should matter less than the self-interest of the few who will be inconvenienced.

So let me get this straight.. the opinions of a minority in your opinion don't matter.... Interesting.

Your posts are comedy gold,

Not really intended as such but thank you anyway.

Your failiure to empathise with other completely underwhelms me.

you obviously hate cyclists

Wrong! I just don't think they should be on roads with other motorists or on pedestrian areas.

The points I raised about pedal cyclists are true. I notice you are unable or unwilling to try and refute them

so what I suggest is have a nice weekend away somewhere and pretend it isn't happening.

I intend to, like nearly all other sporting events whatever the size I will most definitely be ignoring it.

BTW. the concerns I raised regarding inconvenience and distress were not aired for my own benefit, like nearly all other sporting events I will most definitely be ignoring it.

The other concerns I raised should bother anyone that has an imagination and is capable of thinking things through.

So probably not yourself.

Edited by Tommo68