2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Wow what a total load of garbage you spout. Now pop off out in your car, but be careful as some 'menace' of a cyclist may come at you the wrong way and damage it with his head.

Attacking the poster rather than the post. Nothing useful or constructive to say AGAIN?

I am not really surprised.

There is nothing in my post that is incorrect.

Your assumption that I have a car is misguided.

If a pedal cyclist did damage a vehicle of mine with his head doubtless he wil be uninsured and I'll have to pay for my own repairs.

As for 'inconvenience and distress' because the TDF is coming to Sheffield.....dear god get over yourself and stop bloody whining. Maybe NOTHING that inconveniences people should ever take place, in which case precisely nothing would ever take place and you could live happily ever after.

TYypical reaction of a supporter of something that lacks the ability to address a post with negative content in an informative way.

You may call my concerns about the potential for inconvenience and distress whining I have come to expect little better than that sort of reaction from many on here.

Adequately address my concerns, or at least try to, if you are able otherwise there is little point you responding to them.

I do not abject to anyone arranging most sporting events.

What I do object to I have outlined in this thread already.

Perhaps it will help your understanding if you read them again and this time instead of being all giddy and excited about this event, your personal expectations and gratification, try doing so with some empathy towards those that will or may be adversely affected.

But perhaps, as I suspect, you are incapable of thinking of even one scenario where a person could be either inconvenienced or didtressed in relation to this event taking place.

Then again perhaps we should just accept your apparent selfishness in relation to this as just another sign of the times.

Tour the France is the main cycling competition in the world.

It is such a joke to see a place like yorkshire getting all wound up and blow up their EGO's for that tour coming on their turf.

In what sense are people getting wound up? Its a big event and theres nothing wrong with the region making an effort and being proud to show visitors what nice countryside we have close by.

When I was little dutch television properly televised the tour the france, just like world soccer or snooker is televised in UK, full daily episodes.

We too have had daily reporting and there is an audience for cycling. Some cycling fans who would never get the chance to see the TDF live now have that opportunity. Whats wrong with them getting excited about that? I doesnt make them hypocrites at all. Its unlikey to come here ever again.

England never bothered much with reporting of ttf and did not care much about it, just a little bit but only a tiny little bit.

Thats because it was a minority sport. Football is more important. As we have had a lot of cycling success it only natural it attracts a bigger audience.

Now the tour is suddenly cycling through Yorkshire all of a sudden local citizens pretend as if they really care about the tour while for all those previous years they could not care less what happened with that tour.

Just like you pretend you know about sheffield but dont continually slate it and the people who live here. Its an event whats wrong with some people taking an interest and supporting it? If people were taking no interest then you would be slating sheffield people for that as well, because thats the type of person you are.

That is hypocrite and a perfect display of what human EGO needs to blow itself up and feed itself. To not care at all and then suddenly pretend as if it is one of the most important things you care about, only because it will be on your turf is so childish.

How do you know people were interested? Not everyone has to be interested. If people bother to turn out and watch then I dont see what gives you the right to slate them off and insult them for doing so. You are the one being childish.

If the media in Yorkshire had televised and reported ttf the way dutch television had before the announcement of the tour coming here I could have understood the excitement and it would have been more honest and clean. But people here never really cared and all of a sudden they feel like they are the king of the universe with the tour coming.

Which is the crux of it. You arent from the UK, you have no idea how cycling has been reported in this country. Nobody is claiming that cycling and road racing are national past times. We still have cycling clubs though, its growing in popularity and we have had some good success in competitive cycling in the last twenty years. They won a competitive bid, they are excited they will get a chance to see the tour, lots will show up. How do you get off slating people for that? Utterly ridiculous.

If that tour had not come to England no one here would have really cared about it.

But it is and many people will be out there to support it, so deal with it unless you wnat to fo round telling them how you are the only person who is genuine and they are all hypocrites. If you like Holland that much and you enjoy slating sheffield people so much, then you know the way home.

Will the Devil be making an appearance on Jaw Bone .

Said most likely by people who have absolutely no idea how big of an event the Tour de France is.

Some might say it's just a cycles race, some people also say the World Cup final is just a football match.

It's the biggest sporting event Sheffield has seen in my life time so far and will be for a long time to come.

Aw - bless.

Only 18 sleeps to go.:rolleyes:

BBC does not report Tour the France with the same power and intensity as countries like Germany, Switzerland, Belgium or holland do.

BBC support of this event is not even half of what these other European countries give it.

Nobody at any time, NEVER EVER in all the years I have lived in Sheffield has ever chatted about the tour or its exciting developments while it is going on. Never in any pub, party, wedding. Yorkshire English just don't care.

In holland or Germany a cashier in a shop or someone checking your train ticket will chat about it.

You will not fool me, this excitement now is a display of some deep inner need of locals here being desperately hopeful for some international attention, the tour was never of any importance until it came here.

Edited by dutch

BBC does not report Tour the France with the same power and intensity as countries like Germany, Switzerland, Belgium or holland do.

BBC support of this event is not even half of what these other European countries give it.

Nobody at any time, NEVER EVER in all the years I have lived in Sheffield has ever chatted about the tour or its exciting developments while it is going on.

Never in any pub, party, wedding. Yorkshire English just don't care.

In holland or Germany a cashier in a shop or someone checking your train ticket will chat about it.

You will not fool me, this excitement now is a display of some deep inner need of locals here being desperately hopeful for some international attention, the tour was never of any importance until it came here.

In your opinion :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In your opinion :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I meant never important to people living in England or Yorkshire have cared until it came to their own door.

Sheffield is very lazy and isolated. Its people only see things or show interest when it comes to their own door.

In all those years I have been here not one person has showed interest in who has the yellow jersey and what team is successful in breaking free or which riders from what nation make successful escapes from the peloton.

No, Sheffield is sleepy sleepy, nobody is bothered, only until they come to the door then they wake up and scream with joy that the tour is coming while they have never even showed any interest before.

I meant never important to people living in England or Yorkshire have cared until it came to their own door.

Again, in your opinion.

I've watched the event on TV for as long as I can remember.

Sheffield is very lazy and isolated. Its people only see things or show interest when it comes to their own door.

In all those years I have been here not one person has showed interest in who has the yellow jersey and what team is successful in breaking free or which riders from what nation make successful escapes from the peloton.

No, Sheffield is sleepy sleepy, nobody is bothered, only until they come to the door then they wake up and scream with joy that the tour is coming while they have never even showed any interest before.

Just because you haven't met them (or haven't realized that you have met them) doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Even if you were correct, and people are taking an interest because it is on their doorstep, SO WHAT? What would be wrong with that?

I want to get a good spot for watching the tour. I was considering camping at Langsett but for one night it is £70 + £10 parking, though they do have music, beer festival etc. Though I don't want to spend so much on enjoying the event.

My other thought was going to the Bradfield area or Hillsborough, whats everyone else's thoughts and how are you planning to get to Bradfield etc as I doubting whether buses would be able to get close on the day of the event?

There is going to be a spectator Hub at Hillsborough and another at Don Valley

Edited by NightFlight

Just because you haven't met them (or haven't realized that you have met them) doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Even if you were correct, and people are taking an interest because it is on their doorstep, SO WHAT? What would be wrong with that?

Nothing wrong, it is fine. Just hypocritical to pretend as if this is something you always cared about before while you knew very little about it, but that is fine too, politicians have been dishonest and lying for thousands of years.

Enjoy the tour, it is great. Start some interest in it but I am certain this interest will be new and fresh in Sheffield because no one has ever even casually mentioned it in all the years I have lived here, not even one little tiny reference to the tour have I heard, anywhere before the announcement of the Sheffield finish.

Sheffield is very isolated and sleepy. It only shows interest in something when it comes knocking on the door.

Germany, holland, Belgium, maybe Italy as well used to have at least four hours of tour the france every stage on national television long long time before BBC showed any significant interest in it and even now you see four times more pool than tour..