2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

I will fully agree with this but nobody is the same and some rather see a movie than a little part of a cycling race.
doesn't seem great business practice to open a cinema for the minority. What next - not everyone wants to spend time with families at xmas.

Cycling is great, but what is the need to struggle and fight to be the fastest with all that effort when you can relax and watch a movie instead?
er - it's the public who potentially want the cinema, it's pro cyclists who are doing the riding.

Very similar to What's the point in going to hot Brazil to kick a ball and winning a massive sporting event when you could be at home watching corrie?

In france they don't close all the roads all day for the tour, couple of hours is usualy enough .
I've been - they do. In the cities anyway, maybe not in the countryside

Guest busdriver1
You do know that it's fine to not like something without disparaging it?

A purely factual statement.

The trouble with sports fans is they have great difficulty getting it into their heads that the whole world does not follow their passion.

So far we have had about 3 posts from people who know anything about cycling and hundreds who want to go and see it and dash home to see if they are on the TV, or are going because of the hype and will need help to identify a bike.

I will fully agree with this but nobody is the same and some rather see a movie than a little part of a cycling race.

Cycling is great, but what is the need to struggle and fight to be the fastest with all that effort when you can relax and watch a movie instead?

I really don't know what will happen but will be very surprised if there were no road access to centertainment on that day.

Finish line is right there and all the parking and restaurants will be flying that evening, they will not close the car access to all that parking and catering right next to the finish.

---------- Post added 17-06-2014 at 10:12 ----------

I must add here that Sheffield council is fully capable of making stupid decisions like that.

In france they don't close all the roads all day for the tour, couple of hours is usualy enough and they don't resurface the whole route either for it. Although sheffields roads en route were very bad for cycling before.

I have camped on mountain side roads in France that have been closed to through traffic for two days ,the French just got on with it and joined the multi country people in celebration that the Tour was coming.

The trouble with sports fans is they have great difficulty getting it into their heads that the whole world does not follow their passion.

So far we have had about 3 posts from people who know anything about cycling and hundreds who want to go and see it and dash home to see if they are on the TV, or are going because of the hype and will need help to identify a bike.

What's wrong with wanting to go and have a fun day out?

As many cynics point out, the race bikes will pass in a flash, so obviously only the serious cycling fans will know who most of the professional riders are.

I personally love going to cheer on people in marathons. I don't know who they are, but I like to see their efforts. Similarly, I'm looking forward to July 6th when I'll cheer on the amateurs who will follow the TdF professionals.

Additionally, the 200 or so "floats" on the Tour de France publicity caravan "parade" are what attract just as many people onto the route as the race itself. Certainly it's a glorified commercial for all sorts of brands, but it is fun. It's sort of like the St Patrick's Day parade in New York, or the Olympic torch relay. It's an excuse for people to get outside, find a great location, enjoy a fete (there are several along our bit), listen to music, have a drink, have a picnic, enjoy the streets without nose-to-tail traffic, let the kids play, ride a bike, watch the parade, catch some freebies, and top it off with the TdF riders.

If you want to ignore all that, then fine. Not everyone likes parties and people having fun, so you're more than entitled to do your own thing for one Sunday. Sit back and relax at home, knowing that it'll never happen again whilst you're still alive.

---

For those interested to know what the caravane is like, there's a video on the TdF website here;

Le Tour Caravane

I don't think that you didn't get the gist of my post. I said that it's fine to not like something without disparaging it.

What's wrong with wanting to go and have a fun day out?

As many cynics point out, the race bikes will pass in a flash, so obviously only the serious cycling fans will know who most of the professional riders are.

I personally love going to cheer on people in marathons. I don't know who they are, but I like to see their efforts. Similarly, I'm looking forward to July 6th when I'll cheer on the amateurs who will follow the TdF professionals.

Additionally, the 200 or so "floats" on the Tour de France publicity caravan "parade" are what attract just as many people onto the route as the race itself. Certainly it's a glorified commercial for all sorts of brands, but it is fun. It's sort of like the St Patrick's Day parade in New York, or the Olympic torch relay. It's an excuse for people to get outside, find a great location, enjoy a fete (there are several along our bit), listen to music, have a drink, have a picnic, enjoy the streets without nose-to-tail traffic, let the kids play, ride a bike, watch the parade, catch some freebies, and top it off with the TdF riders.

If you want to ignore all that, then fine. Not everyone likes parties and people having fun, so you're more than entitled to do your own thing for one Sunday. Sit back and relax at home, knowing that it'll never happen again whilst you're still alive.

---

For those interested to know what the caravane is like, there's a video on the TdF website here;

Le Tour Caravane

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Well said!!! :clap::clap:

Can we get back to the moaning, please? I wish to chastise some forum posters for doing so.

Guest busdriver1
I don't think that you didn't get the gist of my post. I said that it's fine to not like something without disparaging it.

And I think you missed mine when I stated that I was merely pointing out facts. Try and learn the difference.

And I think you missed mine when I stated that I was merely pointing out facts. Try and learn the difference.

Yes the last part of the statement isn't tinged with sarcasm at all, none what so ever.

Mind they can always watch some druggies on bikes instead lol.

Wait hang on I'm detecting strong whiffs of Sheffield stuck-in-mud attitude eminating quite pure, a performance only worthy of Sheffield Forum.

Try to learn what difference?

the difference between an umbrella and a goldfish