2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Best to check whether the trams to Meadowhall will be running again by then. A 52 bus will take MB to Attercliffe and then either a tram or replacement bus will do the rest.

Quote below from Supertram website. would seem that tram service to

Meadowhall will not be affected.

I thought it would be highly unlikely the would be racing along the

Tram Track

"Supertram services are not directly affected by the planned road closures during the event and we will provide a service that runs to the heart of the action in the Lower Don Valley area. Trams will also run to the stage 2 finish area, the Don Valley Spectator Hub and the Meadowhall fan zone which is a short walk from Le Cote de Jenkin Hill, the steepest section on the stage, helping to make all viewing points easy to reach.

An enhanced tram service will run throughout the Sunday to provide race fans the best chance of catching the riders. (See route map below). (Rail replacement works will also be suspended in the week before the event)."

Quote below from Supertram website. would seem that tram service to

Meadowhall will not be affected.

I thought it would be highly unlikely the would be racing along the

Tram Track

I wasn't referring to the route of the race but to whether the rail replacement work on the Meadowhall stretch will have been finished by then. Apparently it will have.

There may well be an opening for Wiggins for le Tour. Froome had a disastrous final few days on the Criterium du Dauphine, which is the warm up for le Tour.

Froome was dropped by his main rival, Contador on one of the climbs. Costing him the lead. He crashed on another day, and then on the final day, starting 12 seconds behind Contador he fell back a long way behind the leaders, not even finishing the race in the top ten.

So team Sky may well have to reevaluate their plans for le Tour, and this reevaluation may lead to an opening for Wiggins.

Young British cyclist Adam Yates continued his impressive season form by finishing a very credible 6th overall.

There may well be an opening for Wiggins for le Tour. Froome had a disastrous final few days on the Criterium du Dauphine, which is the warm up for le Tour.

Froome was dropped by his main rival, Contador on one of the climbs. Costing him the lead. He crashed on another day, and then on the final day, starting 12 seconds behind Contador he fell back a long way behind the leaders, not even finishing the race in the top ten.

So team Sky may well have to reevaluate their plans for le Tour, and this reevaluation may lead to an opening for Wiggins.

Young British cyclist Adam Yates continued his impressive season form by finishing a very credible 6th overall.

I doubt it, Froome said after the race that he really suffered from the effects of the crash. He won the first two stages and will be fine for the tour, if Wiggins wins Tour De Swisse then he may possibly go as a domestique. But seeing as he took it upon himself to go on breakfast TV saying he wasn't going to be picked for the tour (when no team has been finalised yet) it doesn't really make his position any better.

He'd be a useful rider but would have no hope of GC on this years tour route, and Sky have shown this week they have plenty of strong riders to support Froome in the mountains.

Contador would leave Wiggins for dead towards the end of every high mountain stage.

In what way exactly, as opposed to say cars or buses?

Running red lights, going the wrong way up one way streets, ignoring no entry signs ..... etc etc I see all these occurences every single day on the road - do that it a car and watch your insurance rise and points too - but then again cyclists don't have to have either ...... slight imbalance? If you're lucky enough to ride the roads free then at least have the decency to obey the signs and traffic signals.:rant:

I doubt it, Froome said after the race that he really suffered from the effects of the crash. He won the first two stages and will be fine for the tour, if Wiggins wins Tour De Swisse then he may possibly go as a domestique. But seeing as he took it upon himself to go on breakfast TV saying he wasn't going to be picked for the tour (when no team has been finalised yet) it doesn't really make his position any better.

He'd be a useful rider but would have no hope of GC on this years tour route, and Sky have shown this week they have plenty of strong riders to support Froome in the mountains.

Contador would leave Wiggins for dead towards the end of every high mountain stage.

You misunderstood my post. If Wiggins was to do to le Tour he is only ever going to go as a domestique so it doesn't matter what happens to him at the end of the high mountainous stages, so that was the angle that I was coming from. I also thought that Richey Porter looked like like he was struggling so an extra diesel with the experience that Wiggins has may well come in handy.

Running red lights, going the wrong way up one way streets, ignoring no entry signs ..... etc etc I see all these occurences every single day on the road - do that it a car and watch your insurance rise and points too - but then again cyclists don't have to have either ...... slight imbalance? If you're lucky enough to ride the roads free then at least have the decency to obey the signs and traffic signals.:rant:

A lot more cars run red lights than cyclists. Many one way streets have contra flow cycle lanes. And yes, some cyclists will go through no entry signs etc, usually to avoid dangerous junctions or sections of road. Unfortunately it's a fact that many motorists don't look out for bikes and it's sometimes a case of self-preservation and taking the safe option rather than the strictly legal one. But it's not a 'menace', it's safer for everyone.

Yes there is the odd d*ck on a bike! but they're outnumbered 100-1 by d*cks in cars so that's no argument.

You still haven't explained why it's a menace - menace to who exactly, are bicycles going to come off best or worst in any collision with a car whatsoever? We know the answer so why and who exactly are they a 'menace' to?

And the old 'using the roads for free' argument, deary me this has been gone over a dozen times in this thread alone. General taxation pays for roads, NOT 'road tax' or insurance, so ALL taxpayers pay for the roads and NOBODY 'rides them for free' unless you are a non-taxpayer.

I'm not sure if you've realised, but everyone is allowed to cycle, it's not 'lucky' it's called buying a bike and making an effort instead of sitting in the car for a 10 minute journey.

Yes I have a bike, and 2 cars, and I pay plenty of income tax, so I'll continue to ride the roads 'for free'.

---------- Post added 16-06-2014 at 12:56 ----------

You misunderstood my post. If Wiggins was to do to le Tour he is only ever going to go as a domestique so it doesn't matter what happens to him at the end of the high mountainous stages, so that was the angle that I was coming from. I also thought that Richey Porter looked like like he was struggling so an extra diesel with the experience that Wiggins has may well come in handy.

Ah right, in that case yes I agree fully. If Wiggins looks good in TDS then he should go.

Edited by Rob_1

I see cars being driven badly, failing to signal, drivers talking on their phone etc every single day as well without any comeback. Maybe the common indicator here isn't cars or cycles, but poor drivers/cyclists and good drivers/cyclists?

I see cars being driven badly, failing to signal, drivers talking on their phone etc every single day as well without any comeback. Maybe the common indicator here isn't cars or cycles, but poor drivers/cyclists and good drivers/cyclists?

Exactly! Assuming there is one d*ckhead in any group of 50 people, there are a whole lot more d*ckheads driving cars than there are riding bikes. And bikes aren't a lethal weapon.

Exactly! Assuming there is one d*ckhead in any group of 50 people, there are a whole lot more d*ckheads driving cars than there are riding bikes. And bikes aren't a lethal weapon.

I think you grasped his point and then depressingly missed it again. Just accept there are idiot motorists and cyclists and that has more to do with the people rather than whether they ride a bike or drive a car.

From the Beeb

Analysis of accident data suggested factors involved in crashes can be attributed "fairly equally" to drivers and cyclists

Child cyclists were much more likely to have contributed to accidents, while incidents involving cyclists aged 25 and over were more often put down to the driver

Some 2,801 cyclists were said to have contributed to serious collisions between 2005 and 2007, 43% by failing to look properly and one-fifth by riding out from the pavement

Over the same period, 2,587 drivers were said to have contributed to serious crashes, with 56% failing to look properly and 17% through a poor manoeuvre

Not sure what the safety of cyclists on the road have to do with this thread unless they've decided to screw safety and run the TDF on open roads!

RE: Wiggins, he would go on pure sporting grounds if they were picking their 9 best riders but Sky have the rest of the season to consider and need to seperate their whiny little bitches from each other. Wiggins won't go to the TDF unless Froome can't, he will go to the Vuelta in preparation for his tip at the time trial world championship in September. Wiggins stands a good chance of winning the Vuelta and Time trial championship, and that should be his focus not playing games in the press.

We're thinking about watching some way up Herries Road. Do people think this would be a good spot?