2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Scroll down to 11am

11am Good morning and welcome to live coverage of the stage three of the Tour de France. If the first two days in that Yorkshire gave the start of this year’s Tour a strange sort of mania as the peloton was greeted by crowds not seen in Yorkshire since that 50 per cent sale in Ikea or the opening of a new branch of Primark, then today should be a little more familiar for the cyclists as they embark on a gentle 155km jaunt from Cambridge to London.

Like I said casual abuse rather than focusing on the story. Hard "quality journalism"?

Cheeky so and so, since C&A closed I've not bothered buying any new clothes, I just keep patching up the ones I have.

I'm starting to think I must have dreamt the Grenoside leg of the tour.

There's 97 thousand pages in The Star covering the event, but I couldn't see anything about Grenoside. My Dad was watching it on TV and he said they cut to the adverts when it went through Grenoside. It's as though the riders were warped Star Trek style from Oughtibridge to Hillsborough.

For the sake of my sanity, someone please tell me it did go through Grenoside and there were thousands of people there lining the route. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Cheeky so and so, since C&A closed I've not bothered buying any new clothes, I just keep patching up the ones I have.

There's 97 thousand pages in The Star covering the event, but I couldn't see anything about Grenoside. My Dad was watching it on TV and he said they cut to the adverts when it went through Grenoside. It's as though the riders were warped Star Trek style from Oughtibridge to Hillsborough.

For the sake of my sanity, someone please tell me it did go through Grenoside and there were thousands of people there lining the route. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Well we were at the jawbone - 1km from the top and they defo zipped past us heading in your direction rapidly enough

Regards

Doom

I saw the caravanne from Salt Box but had moved to the hill overlooking Jaw Bone for the peloton so who knows, maybe they actually were whisked, wormhole style, over to Hillsborough.

jb

I saw the caravanne from Salt Box but had moved to the hill overlooking Jaw Bone for the peloton so who knows, maybe they actually were whisked, wormhole style, over to Hillsborough.

jb

That's what I'm starting to think....It's all very Donnie Darko. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

We watch every other year when it's nowhere near the UK, so why should this year be any different? My mobility isn't good enough for me to stand for hours or walk to a good viewpoint or hub so I watched in exactly the same way as I do normally and how I will be for the rest of the tour. There are plenty of us about :)

Seconded. I can't stand or walk for very long either. I've been following the Tour since before it's first visit to England in '74. Not on TV then. Being able to watch live is wonderful though I know I'm going to have withdrawal symptoms after today as I only have Internet - no TV.

Edited by dhs1

Regards

Doom

When I watched the highlights on TV in the evening, it showed a load of cyclists at Bradfield, and then at Wincobank, with nothing in between.

I saw a few helicopters flying overhead. I can only assume the riders were airlifted direct from Bradfield to Wincobank, to avoid them having to go too near to SWFC. I think your dad was having you on about seeing them at Oughtibridge

It's the first time I've seen inside the City since my last visit in 1989. Some people on here said it didn't look very good, but I can't agree. Certainly there were a lot of industrial buildings as you came in, but its an industrial city, never was much for grandeur anyway. It's no Harrogate or York or even Manchester, but it has great people. I kept seeing overheads of the Town Hall with the Peace Gardens full of folks watching the race on TV, but what are all the huge buildings around it?

Finally I have my evidence: :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Finally I have my evidence: :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Not if the wormhole was at the junction of Oughtibridge Lane with Skew Hill Lane. I await further evidence...

jb

It's the first time I've seen inside the City since my last visit in 1989. Some people on here said it didn't look very good, but I can't agree. Certainly there were a lot of industrial buildings as you came in, but its an industrial city, never was much for grandeur anyway. It's no Harrogate or York or even Manchester, but it has great people. I kept seeing overheads of the Town Hall with the Peace Gardens full of folks watching the race on TV, but what are all the huge buildings around it?

Hotel, library, theatres,winter gardens, some retail and then law firm offices.

You can see from here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/google+map+overhead+sheffield+s1/@53.3800041,-1.469027,306m/data=!3m1!1e3

It wasnt as busy in the city centre it wasnt on the route and most people went out into the country or to the fan hubs.

Scroll down to 11am

11am Good morning and welcome to live coverage of the stage three of the Tour de France. If the first two days in that Yorkshire gave the start of this year’s Tour a strange sort of mania as the peloton was greeted by crowds not seen in Yorkshire since that 50 per cent sale in Ikea or the opening of a new branch of Primark, then today should be a little more familiar for the cyclists as they embark on a gentle 155km jaunt from Cambridge to London.

Like I said casual abuse rather than focusing on the story. Hard "quality journalism"?

Not sure why he used Ikea and Primark as examples. After all, it's not like we have frenzied mobs fighting or riots when they open new stores up here like they do in London.