2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

How come that when they did not come to Yorkshire very few cared anything at all about the tour.

Now they have come to Sheffield the majority claims it to be the greatest world event.

Coming to Sheffield is a requirement for these people to acknowledge its importance so they can feel a certain sense of egoistic and proud importance.

If that sense is not there they could not care any less.

I went out and watched it, the advertising and many police an cars that come by with their sirens and noises. Then the cyclist came, it was only little different from when I have seen cyclist pass in the countryside before, fun, but all my sundays are always full. of fun

Oh shut up.

I ran up Lodge Lane in something like seven and a half minutes when I was younger!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

we all could do things like that when we were younger, now if we were to try it we'd need an ambulance at the half way point :)

How come that when they did not come to Yorkshire very few cared anything at all about the tour.

Now they have come to Sheffield the majority claims it to be the greatest world event.

I don't claim to be a cycling fan and I won't be taking much interest in the race from now on, for me it was all about being part of a once in a lifetime event taking place in my own backyard.

I couldn't tell you the name of the guy who won the race without googling it, but that's not important as far as I'm concerned, I'm just pleased I turned up to be part of such a huge event for this region.

Regards

Doom

It was the same with the Olympics. When the torch passed through, people's opinions changed. Mine certainly did. I think people are allowed to change their minds. Whether they eat a bit of humble pie though, that's a different matter.

The important thing is that Yorkshire folk did the event proud.

drove down to darnall parked up no problem...went into don valley bowl...watched it on big screen...then walked with dogs to brightside lane...dogs off lead enjoying car free roads...kids playing football in street....got some nice freebies...then waited outside big post office...while they went past at 60mph....what a spectacle....my mate shifted a months worth of ice cream and never moved off his road...happy days

I would think that a lot of people have been infected with the tour/cycling virus yesterday. It is a great spectator sport because the spectators are generally great. It has to be said that Yorkshire (And thus Sheffield) pulled all the stops out to optimise crowds and crowd control, the spectator hubs were excellent (well the one where we went was) and the whole organisation was spot on. Crowds like this are not the norm for the Tour, genuinely, they are not.

We did ourselves proud.

It's free, local businesses make good money, there was no negative vibes yesterday, it brought family generations together.

A fantastic day.

The build up to the day, the food, beer etc, the history of the TDF.

Then you had the 4 helicopters prior to the screeching cars, then you had the riders!

When watching these guys on bikes, they train hard, great bikes - and for the women (the Lycra shorts)

No pre madonnas

Not like the great footballers on 300k a week.

You are supporting the riders - not a country

That's what makes sheffield great x

very few cared because it wasn't real to them, something which happened in france and only appeared briefly on the tv news and maybe a couple of paragraphs in the papers if there was nothing else to write about.

it's now real, they came through parts of our city, up and down our streets.

most of the people I know seemed very impressed that they made it up jenkin road especially after the long ride prior to that.

we spend our lives on here moaning about everything, this just goes to show what we could do if we put our minds to it and worked together

Just seen this on the SY Police site:

Did you witness assault in Sheffield Tour de France fan park?

Police are appealing to anyone who was in the Tour de France fan park on Jenkin Hill, off Jenkin Road, in Wincobank Common, to come forward if they witnessed an assault.

A 32-year-old man suffered cuts to his back and facial injuries following the incident at around 3.15pm today (Sunday 6 July).

He is in hospital in a stable condition and his injuries are not life-threatening.

Police believe the assault, which happened before the cyclists came through, was an isolated, targeted attack.

Hundreds of race fans were at the park at the time. It happened to the left of the large spectators’ screen that had been set up for the event, and police believe it’s likely someone witnessed what happened.

Officers are also keen to hear from members of the public who recorded footage today and may have captured the incident on film.

Did you witness the assault? Or perhaps you have footage that could help with our enquiries?

Anyone with information is asked to contact South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 773 of 06/07/2014.

- See more at: http://www.southyorks.police.uk/appeals-information/did-you-witness-assault-sheffield-tour-de-france-fan-park#sthash.D5spUP0V.dpuf

Please share and check any footage you might have recorded.

Mention Jenkin Road and Wincobank under any other circumstance I think it's fair to say opinion would be divided. I don't live there so can't really judge either way....HOWEVER, I had to chuckle to myself when you had Froome, Contador and Nibali, the 3 main protagonists for the TDF 2014 all at the front of the pack riding up Jenkin Road.....some normal everyday street in Sheffield for one day was transformed and had the worlds elite cyclists having a dig at each other...absolutely stunning.

Apologies for the long post.

By eck Sheffield - What a grand job everyone did yesterday.

I was in Oughtibridge on Jawbone hill sat on a wall in a field.

Set off at 8 am on the tram to middlewood - not many folk on board but very helpful tram conductor told us about the buses and the best spots to watch.

Headed up the hill through the crowds - was a great atmosphere - **** Inn was getting busy already. Saw a fella hacking his garden bush to pieces trying to get a better view - Had a laugh and said he needed to hurry up as the wife was back soon haha.

Found a spot in a field and watched the numbers come powering up the hill - getting busier and more atmosphere - fancy dress, kids in bike gear and the amateurs (but still pretty good) running up and down the route all being cheered on by the spectators.

Managed to watch most of it on the Ipad and kept everyone informed how far away they were - then the helicopters - like summit out of apocalypse now came tearing towards us! The caravan was great fun - everyone dancing and getting the crowd going - was great fun. Although i didn't get any freebies still enjoyed the atmosphere!

Mexican waves, Kids writing messages on the road, the tension built - and then out of nowhere all these cyclists came tearing up the hill - my god that was impressive to see something like that on a sunny sunday afternoon.

Decided to walk home as the trams and busses were rammed and I figured someone else would need that tram more than me. Made it home about six o clock and watched the replay and I was swelling with pride - Sheffield and the surrounding areas looked stunning - Yeah there was one or two bad apples standing a bit close but they wont be remembered! It truly was an incredible day and something I will remember fondly for many many years to come. Well Done sheffield, the people, and a mention to the organisers. Three of them stood guard as a little lad wrote his message on the road and ushered him away when any cars/bikes were coming - It was brilliant. And I'd love to see it here again! Well done lads and Lasses.

Headed up the hill through the crowds - was a great atmosphere - **** Inn was getting busy already

Can't believe the name of that pub is censored on here :loopy: