We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Who attended the Bradfield Beer Festival and the camping in High Bradfield for the Tour De France???

What an AMAZING event and the weekend of a lifetime, from start to finish

Massive thank you to the organisers of the camping, super helpful & friendly (especially when I lost my little girl!! :o)

Proud of Yorkshire :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What an amazing atmosphere and day, well done Yorkshire

10 x better than the World Cup or Olympics. Because it's free! No travelling because it comes to your door step. People started arriving Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9am. I was luckily I set of at 3pm, a brisk 5 mins walk.

Not sure about the south side of sheffield tho, probably next time the route could be Bradfield- Oughtobridge - Halifax road - past owlerton dog track, up St Phillips, past the Childrens hospital up to fulwood, down to millhouses, the back down Abbeydale Road into pass town to the Cliffe again?

How come that when they did not come to Yorkshire very few cared anything at all about the tour.

Now they have come to Sheffield the majority claims it to be the greatest world event.

Coming to Sheffield is a requirement for these people to acknowledge its importance so they can feel a certain sense of egoistic and proud importance.

If that sense is not there they could not care any less.

I went out and watched it, the advertising and many police an cars that come by with their sirens and noises. Then the cyclist came, it was only little different from when I have seen cyclist pass in the countryside before, fun, but all my sundays are always full. of fun

How come that when they did not come to Yorkshire very few cared anything at all about the tour.

Now they have come to Sheffield the majority claims it to be the greatest world event.

Coming to Sheffield is a requirement for these people to acknowledge its importance so they can feel a certain sense of egoistic and proud importance.

If that sense is not there they could not care any less.

I went out and watched it, the advertising and many police an cars that come by with their sirens and noises. Then the cyclist came, it was only little different from when I have seen cyclist pass in the countryside before, fun, but all my sundays are always full. of fun

Oh shut up.

I ran up Lodge Lane in something like seven and a half minutes when I was younger!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

we all could do things like that when we were younger, now if we were to try it we'd need an ambulance at the half way point :)

I don't claim to be a cycling fan and I won't be taking much interest in the race from now on, for me it was all about being part of a once in a lifetime event taking place in my own backyard.

I couldn't tell you the name of the guy who won the race without googling it, but that's not important as far as I'm concerned, I'm just pleased I turned up to be part of such a huge event for this region.

Regards

Doom

It was the same with the Olympics. When the torch passed through, people's opinions changed. Mine certainly did. I think people are allowed to change their minds. Whether they eat a bit of humble pie though, that's a different matter.

The important thing is that Yorkshire folk did the event proud.

drove down to darnall parked up no problem...went into don valley bowl...watched it on big screen...then walked with dogs to brightside lane...dogs off lead enjoying car free roads...kids playing football in street....got some nice freebies...then waited outside big post office...while they went past at 60mph....what a spectacle....my mate shifted a months worth of ice cream and never moved off his road...happy days

I would think that a lot of people have been infected with the tour/cycling virus yesterday. It is a great spectator sport because the spectators are generally great. It has to be said that Yorkshire (And thus Sheffield) pulled all the stops out to optimise crowds and crowd control, the spectator hubs were excellent (well the one where we went was) and the whole organisation was spot on. Crowds like this are not the norm for the Tour, genuinely, they are not.

We did ourselves proud.

It's free, local businesses make good money, there was no negative vibes yesterday, it brought family generations together.

A fantastic day.

The build up to the day, the food, beer etc, the history of the TDF.

Then you had the 4 helicopters prior to the screeching cars, then you had the riders!

When watching these guys on bikes, they train hard, great bikes - and for the women (the Lycra shorts)

No pre madonnas

Not like the great footballers on 300k a week.

You are supporting the riders - not a country

That's what makes sheffield great x

very few cared because it wasn't real to them, something which happened in france and only appeared briefly on the tv news and maybe a couple of paragraphs in the papers if there was nothing else to write about.

it's now real, they came through parts of our city, up and down our streets.

most of the people I know seemed very impressed that they made it up jenkin road especially after the long ride prior to that.

we spend our lives on here moaning about everything, this just goes to show what we could do if we put our minds to it and worked together