2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

It's not just what's happening with hospitality, there have been small Yorkshire firms who have seen a major boost because of the TDF.

There's a little firm in Keighley who make flags and bunting, they've had the most orders ever, it's probably saved a small family company employing local people from Bankruptcy in the dire financial times we're in, it would have been the equivalent of a lottery win to them, financially secure now for the forseeable future, with no threats to redundancies...the Financial Bonus to Yorkshire's small businesses has been long waited for and readily received.

Please don't let the truth get in the way of small minded petty miserable boring gittishness

What do you expect? Its an event that lasts for a day. Its still generating money even if its for scouts a charity a pub or someone renting a field out.

£1m has been spent by Sheffield. The govt has provided a grant to the organisers of £10m.

Sheffield was expected to benefit by £10m in extra tourism and spending and £5m in marketing and media exposure. Not bad for a £1m spend. Seems the crowd today could have exceeded anyones expectations and hopefully that will bode well for stage 2 as people turn out after seeing it on the TV.

Stage 1 has been fantastic marketing Yorkshire and hopefully stage 2 weather permitting will be as well.

Of course it is generating money but don't talk as though it is giving folk a job for life.

Of course it is generating money but don't talk as though it is giving folk a job for life.

Nobody has a job for life....

Point out where I have done that? I have stated how much economic activity has been generated. You are the one moaning its not bringing thousands of permanent jobs.

It's not just what's happening with hospitality, there have been small Yorkshire firms who have seen a major boost because of the TDF.

There's a little firm in Keighley who make flags and bunting, they've had the most orders ever, it's probably saved a small family company employing local people from Bankruptcy in the dire financial times we're in, it would have been the equivalent of a lottery win to them, financially secure now for the forseeable future, with no threats to redundancies...the Financial Bonus to Yorkshire's small businesses has been long waited for and readily received.

Good luck to them and I hope they print the Union Jack the right way up because some of the stuff that comes from China doesn't even have the wide white strip on it.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 23:40 ----------

Point out where I have done that? I have stated how much economic activity has been generated. You are the one moaning its not bringing thousands of permanent jobs.

??? when did I say that?

Yeah there's beers, music, crafts, burger vans etc etc.

Make sure you go to the bank for a loan first though. £4.50 for a pork sandwich sheeeeesh

Getting there will be a nightmare so wont be able to go. Im not walking from meadowhall all the way up there.

Good luck to them and I hope they print the Union Jack the right way up because some of the stuff that comes from China doesn't even have the wide white strip on it.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 23:40 ----------

??? when did I say that?

Ok sorry you are the one moaning its not bringing permanent jobs not satisfied with the millions being generated and the hundreds of thousands who have had a good day out.

The tour is all based around one day for Sheffield. Your expectations are unreasonable ans unrealistic. What it appears to have done is generate a substantial amount of goodwill for the stage 1 participants and hopefully that will carry across if stage 2 (weather permitting) runs well.

Edited by 999tigger

Getting there will be a nightmare so wont be able to go. Im not walking from meadowhall all the way up there.

Cadge a backie. :D

Was working at Buttertubs Pass today, I must say Im not interested with the tour de france but got to admit the atmosphere was brilliant, everyone enjoyed themselves, the cyclists had all passed us within 4 mins & that was going up the hill. :)

City ov shame? Hav a word with ya sen! Or get ya sen over to s6 pal. Don't no what your looking at but it's Definitely not what's happening over our neck ov the woods! !

I have no interest in it normally but I think it's marvellous that it's bringing some much needed cash into the city. It shows that Sheffield can stage major events to the doubting out there. Let's hope it leads to more!