2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Could have been Sheffield hosting the start of the biggest spectator sporting event in the world and pulling in multi millions of cash .

Sadly the last time cycling came through here with the Tour of Britain the moaners complained about the traffic disruption.

So Leeds pulls in a big fat wedge of Tour De France cash and we look on yet again.

Hoping for the race to pass through Sheffield if only to watch the faces of motorist been told by French Gendarmes where they can and can't go.

Great news for Yorkshire.

A circuitous route from Leeds to Sheffield, made up so it was about 140 miles would be ideal. Cross and re-cross the Peaks to take in all the great climbs.

So we are going to have dozens or twerps in lycra riding on bikes around the city?

Still its no different to any other day, even on Peniston Road, we get the Lycra idiots cycling on the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path for them to use.

If these prats really need to have a race on their bikes, can they kindly stick to the cycle paths?

So your calling the likes of me an idiot and a prat then ?

Maybe a hint of jealousy here because the likes of YOU who are stuck in traffic for hours on end for your 2 mile drive home. Me, i live 4 miles away from work and i'm home in 30 minutes...Who's the prat now ?

jt

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 19:43 ----------

Not everyone is welcoming this.

Agreed, not every one does, but then luckily for the majority that do, it will be great for them. Also the fact that it's gonna bring in millions of pounds for the region has to be a plus factor for all in the region.

Hotels have already had enquiries for rooms for this Great Event already, and we are 18 months away from it yet.

So instead of moaning about not being able to use a certain road for a few hours in that day, why not go and see the greatest spectacle to come to Yorkshire "ever".

Also, unlike most sports, this is free to watch, you may be surprised and actually enjoy the day(s)

jt

The greatest show on Earth coming to a street near you and its free!

Bang on! :clap:

Been to watch the tour a few times, and it is a cracking experience. Who would have thought Yorkshire would land it!

It usually starts on a Saturday, so maybe the stage involving Sheff will be on a Sunday, so get it in the city centre definitely!

Route is to be announced next month apparantly so we shall see then. Regardless though as you say it is a great experience and does wonders for the tourism of the region. In terms of disruption It'll probably be no worse than that olypmic torch thingy, or the Sheffield half marathon etc so I can't see it being that much of an issue, although the moaners will be out in force naturally..

An important point not yet mentioned and that is, whichever way the Tour comes into Sheffield, can we have those road surfaces brought up to standard !!

If the tour arrives in Sheffield from the north, they'll be able to use the Penistone Road cycle path.

If it turns out to be true and Sheffield does get the stage finish on stage 2, then that will be a Sunday as the tour always starts on a Saturday. The start in Leeds by the sounds of it will be called stage 1 and not a short prologue TT that usually happens to kick the tour off.

Just racking my brains as to where a stage finish could be placed, there isn't all that many locations slap bang in the centre of town that would be all that great, certainly not Pinstone Street where the Tour of Britian has had a few finishes.

Arundal Gate wouldn't be too bad, Eccy Rd could easily work. Penistone Rd coming down from Grenoside past SWFC with a sprint finish just before the roundabout at Shalesmoor would be ideal IMO.

If it turns out to be true and Sheffield does get the stage finish on stage 2, then that will be a Sunday as the tour always starts on a Saturday. The start in Leeds by the sounds of it will be called stage 1 and not a short prologue TT that usually happens to kick the tour off.

Just racking my brains as to where a stage finish could be placed, there isn't all that many locations slap bang in the centre of town that would be all that great, certainly not Pinstone Street where the Tour of Britian has had a few finishes.

Arundal Gate wouldn't be too bad, Eccy Rd could easily work. Penistone Rd coming down from Grenoside past SWFC with a sprint finish just before the roundabout at Shalesmoor would be ideal IMO.

Norfolk Park would hold the thousands that will attend perhaps with two or three laps included .

I doubt it will happen but would love to see them tackle winnats!
Winnat's is nothing compared to the Col D' Aubisque. I used to ride Winnat's myself on four sprockets, Reynold's 531 and steel rims.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 17:25 ----------

Norfolk Park would hold the thousands that will attend perhaps with two or three laps included .
The last time I raced in Norfolk park was back in the 50s. The road was loose gravel, so the punctures and gravel rash were abundant. I'm presuming its a bit better by now.