2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Let L**ds have it, who wants a snarled up city centre anyway.

You don't half like whining you lot - if Sheffield got off it's backside and made something of itself instead of whining and carping that Leeds is better it might just have a city centre to be proud of.

You don't half like whining you lot - if Sheffield got off it's backside and made something of itself instead of whining and carping that Leeds is better it might just have a city centre to be proud of.

well said.

Good news :) Well done to the bid team at Welcome to Yorkshire

I note from the link the bid was supported by the vast majority of councils in Yorkshire.

Not ours of course, but then major investors don't tell themselves they're not welcome here and airports don't just sell themselves for a quid, so they were probably busy.

Edited by Obelix
No longer on topic due to thread change

I've not been told the route, but I think it's a fair bet there will be a climb from Holmfirth up to Holme Moss transmitter, and from there it's a sensible route to come into sheffield down through Grenoside way etc. If I were a betting man I'd be placing money on something like that.

As to where to finish in Sheffield I'd stay out the city centre as it's not really ideal and rather disruptive - perhaps in Don Valley Stadium? Who knows what they will choose though.

Been to watch the tour a few times, and it is a cracking experience. Who would have thought Yorkshire would land it!

It usually starts on a Saturday, so maybe the stage involving Sheff will be on a Sunday, so get it in the city centre definitely!

Why don't they make the Tour of Britain into a major race instead of importing foreign races?

Why don't they make the Tour of Britain into a major race instead of importing foreign races?

the tour of Britain is already.

The Tour de France is run by the U.C.I. a World cycling organisation and there is no better free sporting event in the World it is watched over three weeks by millions of people. We in Yorkshire are in for a treat.

Well done to those who had the foresight to bid, and for everyone in the team who made it a success.

It's not as big as the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia or the Spanish one.

It's not, but how would not hosting the start of the Tour make the Tour of Britain any bigger (or indeed smaller) event?

That's like saying we shouldn't have hosted the Olympics because it's more popular than the Commonwealth games.

I do wonder how much money it has cost yorkshire to stage the grand depart of the 2013 tdf.

Don't think ASO are bringing the race to yorkshire out of the goodness of their heart.