2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Couple of quick facts:

55% of Sportsmen banned by UK anti doping in the last year were Rugby players. Out of 20, only 1 was a cyclist.

Even if Wiggins was in the Sky TdF team he would now be riding for Porte, not be team leader himself. Brailsford said that today and yesterday. So forget the 'Wiggins should have been there' rubbish. The plan B was always Porte.

Not sure drugs being widespread in the peloton.

There are always a few bad apples in every box.

A footballer bit another player recently but there are no howls of protest to ban all football or that all footballers do this.

A few years ago, Rio Ferdinand missed a drugs test because he "forgot", the authorities took his word (that he was too busy playing on play station or whatever) and it was done and dusted after a few weeks.

If he was a cyclist his feet wouldn't have touched the ground.

Ferdinand was banned from football for 8 months...including missing Euro 2004... for not taking a test (rather than failing it). Paddy Kenny received a 9 months ban for taking an over the counter cough medicine.

Wasn't there a scandal involving Spain's national sports football team, and the blood sample that were ordered destroyed by a Spanish judge.

Couple of quick facts:

55% of Sportsmen banned by UK anti doping in the last year were Rugby players. Out of 20, only 1 was a cyclist.

Even if Wiggins was in the Sky TdF team he would now be riding for Porte, not be team leader himself. Brailsford said that today and yesterday. So forget the 'Wiggins should have been there' rubbish. The plan B was always Porte.

But there would be more rugby players than pro cyclists is my guess.

My understanding is that Wiggins is not in the same shame and hadnt done the correct prep to where he was when he won it. Theres only 1 time trial and the course wouldnt have suited wiggins anyway. See what they design next year, but unless it has loads of time trials, then id think wiggins wont be back in the TDF. Brailsford just wants to win.

Ferdinand was banned from football for 8 months...including missing Euro 2004... for not taking a test (rather than failing it). Paddy Kenny received a 9 months ban for taking an over the counter cough medicine.

Yes sorry agreed but I seem to recall an almighty hoo har at the time about him forgeting and that football generally didn't understand the gravity and seriousness of drug testing.

Same (ish deal) went for Christine Uhurugu - missed 3 tests and was banned under the whereabouts system. She even talked about going to represent another country although she had never failed a test.

edit - spotted this which makes for interesting reading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/28194582

Edited by sharpend

Same (ish deal) went for Christine Uhurugu - missed 3 tests and was banned under the whereabouts system. She even talked about going to represent another country although she had never failed a test.

1 claim was that she got lost, 2nd was something to do with driving a manual car and she got confused as she only drives auto's...Not sure what No 3 was. She did say she'd run for Nigeria if she got banned from representing Great Britain, or England.... When ever she runs now, I say "not in my name"..She is a cheat pure and simple, same with David Miller (cyclist) he got banned for taking PED's, and should have been banned for ever from representing his country. In my view if ya play the dangerous game of taking PED's then ya should take the consequences of being found out. That to me should mean a life times ban in representing your country at what ever your chosen sport is.!

Forgot to add, you say she never failed a test, neither did Lance Armstrong.!

jt

1 claim was that she got lost, 2nd was something to do with driving a manual car and she got confused as she only drives auto's...Not sure what No 3 was. She did say she'd run for Nigeria if she got banned from representing Great Britain, or England.... When ever she runs now, I say "not in my name"..She is a cheat pure and simple, same with David Miller (cyclist) he got banned for taking PED's, and should have been banned for ever from representing his country. In my view if ya play the dangerous game of taking PED's then ya should take the consequences of being found out. That to me should mean a life times ban in representing your country at what ever your chosen sport is.!

jt

Some sports men and women are so far in front of the field that one wonders what they are on , The 100 yards in athletics is the most interesting along with the less tested professional footballers ,although why either of those would need drugs to get through a relatively jog in the park is a mystery.

jt

Miller knew it was wrong - when the french police came round to his house - he almost put his wrists up and said "cuff me"

He now works extensively with young cyclists and on education programs.

Armstrong just thought it was any means necessary and something he had to do to win. Doubled up with his claiming the moral high ground with his cancer foundation has made it worse in a lot of eyes. He never failed a test but he admitted to it only because he couldn't live the lie any longer.

As he said in the Armstrong lie - UCI/WADA is one thing - federal agent with a gun is another...

Christine new the rules and got punished for not complying. Same as Rio Ferdinand. Positive/Negative test doesn't really matter in either case.

Justin Gatlin/Tyson Gay failed the test got banned but will be on TV tonight (Diamond league)

Next time I see Usain Bolt at full pelt, I'll think he's just jogging in the park, I can do that.

Think not!

Some sports men and women are so far in front of the field that one wonders what they are on , The 100 yards in athletics is the most interesting along with the less tested professional footballers ,although why either of those would need drugs to get through a relatively jog in the park is a mystery.

Apparently the problem that the sports scientists have with footballers compared to most other athletes is that they have to try to keep the footballers at peak fitness over a season, rather than devising a fitness program to ensure that the athlete peaks for a specific event.