2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

I hope people will carry on watching the Tour, theres another 19 stages to go including today.

Stage 5 on the cobbles and loads of other stages in the mountains make great viewing.

If any of the mountain stages are half as good as last years Mont Ventoux stage, they will be spectacular.

Suddenly out of nowhere on the media on telly internet and papers statements like England is the worlds best cycling nation. We are the greatest cyclists in the world now. This is the greatest thing because it is in England now.

Have you ever been to china or hong kong and watched people cycle there?

Why is England the greatest and the top of the universe? The whole world is great, England is only one little part of it.

Who's saying we're a worlds best cycling nation ?

Don't get me wrong, we're good and England is one of the places to cycyle in the whole world. This is thanks to the likes of our Olymipic success, Wiggins, Cavendish, Froome & Hoy.

Asia goes mad for sports so I can agree with your point there but to think we're saying "we're the best nation" just because we had the TdF is incorrect.

I enjoyed the day and what a wonderful event definately put yorkshire on the map.

Please see

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10925792/Tour-de-France-2014-Cambridge-to-London-route-live.html

It may get pulled soon but the guy says that

anything other than Yorkshire can look really pretty if you get the camera angle right

Response from Sir Gary Verity is that he has just made The Daily Telegraph as popular in Yorkshire as The Sun is in Liverpool.

If you are a twitterer - follow #evanfanning

Oh shut up.

:thumbsup:For once I'm on your side.

Please see

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10925792/Tour-de-France-2014-Cambridge-to-London-route-live.html

It may get pulled soon but the guy says that

anything other than Yorkshire can look really pretty if you get the camera angle right

Response from Sir Gary Verity is that he has just made The Daily Telegraph as popular in Yorkshire as The Sun is in Liverpool.

If you are a twitterer - follow #evanfanning

Theres a nice reply from Jim Brown.

Full sentence was:

"have we learnt anything other than Yorkshire can look really pretty if you get the camera angle right "

Which doesn't quite mean the same if you chop the beginning off .....

Full sentence was:

"have we learnt anything other than Yorkshire can look really pretty if you get the camera angle right "

Yep - still the derogatory casual abuse that we are constantly fighting though

Full sentence was:

Tongue in cheek, but I'd have thought he would have been better focusing on the feelgood factor that the first 2 stages have helped develop instead of boring old north south nonsense.

Tongue in cheek, but I'd have thought he would have been better focusing on the feelgood factor that the first 2 stages have helped develop instead of boring old north south nonsense.

Scroll down to 11am

11am Good morning and welcome to live coverage of the stage three of the Tour de France. If the first two days in that Yorkshire gave the start of this year’s Tour a strange sort of mania as the peloton was greeted by crowds not seen in Yorkshire since that 50 per cent sale in Ikea or the opening of a new branch of Primark, then today should be a little more familiar for the cyclists as they embark on a gentle 155km jaunt from Cambridge to London.

Like I said casual abuse rather than focusing on the story. Hard "quality journalism"?

Since the Tour de France came to Sheffield, a few of us dug an old bike out of the cellar, and took to the streets of Crookes to make a short bike-based film, 'The Bike Cycle', which I hope you'll find short, entertaining and alarming, and seemed at least a little relevant to the thread.

(I also filmed the actual Tour de France coming up Herries Road from Hillsborough, footage of which can be found here -- but I think 'The Bike Cycle' is the more entertaining of the two).

The French organiser who has come over here said the Yorkshire Grand Depart, has been they greatest ever well done all who turned out.