2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Sheffield city centre is a ghost town on a sunday so what disruption would there have been?. Apart from Holme Lane the riders wouldn't encounter any tram tracks on the route I suggested. They still could have gone to Jenkin Lane and Motorpoint Arena.

Alan go and join the organisers. The race is happening. They planned it including professional cyclists. Thats the route they chose. It isnt just about picking the most scenic route.

I wonder who has organised the water supplies and whether they saw fit to never let our council anywhere near it going on the cancelled marathon shambles, I am thinking there must be multiple suppliers on these scale events?

Also, Jenkin Road is an absolute killer, would hate driving up that thing let alone ride up it !!!

Edited by BEDROCK

Alan go and join the organisers. The race is happening. They planned it including professional cyclists. Thats the route they chose. It isnt just about picking the most scenic route.

Didn't the organisers consider the Snake Pass?? seems a no-brainer to me!

Theres a difference between the tour caravan the bit that the sponsirs throw out sweets and stuff amd the race proper which will be at least 1.5h later. Go back through the thread and you will see the times. The 15:45 sounds like the race proper, whereas the other person was mention the sponsors caravan rather than the peloton.

Will the caravan go from oughtibridge straight to jenkin hill or will they be promoting to everyone along the route?

The Publicity Caravan (a procession of visual delights and free gifts from tour sponsors)

High Bradfield 14:01

Oughtibridge 14:10

Jenkin Road 14:37

Motorpoint Arena 14:46

The actual race

Bradfield 15:34-16:01

Oughtibridge 15:42-16:10

Jenkin Road 16:06-16:37

Motorpoint Arena 16:14-16:46

Your just upset that their not naked :rolleyes:

There were a couple not far off yesterday - one bloke at the top of a hill appeared to only have a dayglo bib and boots on, and another ran out across the road as the bikes had passed in his pants... :hihi:

You can't account for dozy spectators though...

'Earlier a woman suffered cuts and bruises after falling through a roof in Skipton near to the Tour route, North Yorkshire Police said.

A teenage boy was also injured in Ilkley after being struck by a team vehicle in the Tour convoy. West Yorkshire police said he had been airlifted to hospital to receive treatment for leg injuries'.

Hopefully nothing like that happens today, just the cyclists crashing as per the finish yesterday!

Some of the bunting in these villages on tv look like they were from the Queen's Coronation in the 50s... :D

Radio Sheffield just announced Coronation Park spectator hub is full... having just seen an interview at Meadowhall hub on itv, there seemed to still be plenty of space there... :) have a great day, all you out on the course! :)

Edited by sheff71

Will the caravan go from oughtibridge straight to jenkin hill or will they be promoting to everyone along the route?

All along the route. Give kids something to look at.

It's not my cup of tea and after back to back 18 hour shifts I can't be arsed anyway ;) but genuinely hope everything goes well for the competitors and spectators and we put on a good show. Can only be good for Sheffield and Yorkshire as a whole if all goes well.

This taken from someone on Owlstalk...

Had a walk down to the 15 km to go sign here in Hillsborough at the Leppings Lane junction, plenty of activity and a few setting up camp. They are currently letting you cycle the route at the moment, loads of family's doing it. Big Kop flag is laid out ready near SWFC which will be seen from the air nicely.

On that last sprint at Keighley, one of the sprinters got a little close to the crowd and looks like someone who was a bit too far in the road with his camera, got a big of a dig in the ribs - ouch!

I bet he stands a bit further back when the peloton comes through... :hihi:

At Don Valley Bowl, they're saying it's about half full so far, if people are wanting to view it there...

Understand both ouhtibridge and bradfield are full and at police have suspended bus shuttles till the race as gone through. They will I understand start agsin to get people bak.