2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

So after the recent negative bashing of Sheffield you thought you'd add to it with a bit more. It may not have occurred to you that the route was picked for a cycle race not for its appeal to tourists..

That doesn't really alter the fact that it won't be a great advert for Sheffield when it appears on the box.

That doesn't really alter the fact that it won't be a great advert for Sheffield when it appears on the box.

I'm not sure I agree. The Sheffield part of the race features scenic rural bits with villages like High Bradfield and Oughtibridge, passes through residential areas and finishes in an area of regeneration that has shops and entertainment.

It will show the many facets of the City of Sheffield.

As long as there aren't burning cars and abandoned mattresses all over it could be any urban housing estate in Europe. However lets hope people do see a community out together enjoying the event!

I'm not sure I agree. The Sheffield part of the race features scenic rural bits with villages like High Bradfield and Oughtibridge, passes through residential areas and finishes in an area of regeneration that has shops and entertainment.

It will show the many facets of the City of Sheffield.

As long as there aren't burning cars and abandoned mattresses all over it could be any urban housing estate in Europe. However lets hope people do see a community out together enjoying the event!

The race will come into Sheffield for only the last few km's. Inevitably the coverage will focus on the action and there won't be much time for sweeping camera shots like Leeds today. You'll see the crowds and places like Jenkin Road and the final sprint past the arena will look amazing. There won't be much lingering on some of the less attractive areas in Sheffield that the race passes through!

The current forecast for tomorrow says a mixture of light and heavy showers for Sheffield from 3pm.

Looking at BBC forecast it says wind direction is going to change from west nw to east sout east at 9am then north east north next hour then to south east south at 11 am. Then slowly turning clockwise until it comes from the west around 4 PM.

Looks like there is some sort of centre blowing over, those things are near impossible to predict accurately, at the most you get lucky in predicting them with a small chance of luck or accuracy.

I wouldn't worry about how scenic the route is, the way the picture keeps breaking up on ITV, it may as well be Tron! Still, with their constant ad breaks and then showing magazine pieces rather than the live race itself, maybe we will see a little bit of Sheffield tomorrow...

I wouldn't worry about how scenic the route is, the way the picture keeps breaking up on ITV, it may as well be Tron! Still, with their constant ad breaks and then showing magazine pieces rather than the live race itself, maybe we will see a little bit of Sheffield tomorrow...

Got to admit ITV's coverage is poor at best

Eurosport then?

Cheers Jemson , never thought of them mate

Pete

look at the crowds! amazing. c'mon Sheffield we can do better than Leeds, ilkley, Otley, Skipton, Harrogate.... Line the route and Cheer!

Got to admit ITV's coverage is poor at best

It isn't itv's fault. They take the same pictures as Eurosport and the rest of the world from the main broadcaster. The difficulty is transmitting live pictures from a moving vehicle over 200km - you're always going to get breakup at some point, the same happens when they go through France.

But some of the scenery shots are fantastic - there is NO where on earth looks better than Yorkshire on days like today. Beautiful countryside which will attract tourists even more in years to come.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 13:19 ----------

look at the crowds! amazing. c'mon Sheffield we can do better than Leeds, ilkley, Otley, Skipton, Harrogate.... Line the route and Cheer!

I'm sure we won't disappoint tomorrow - despite the odd doom merchant :rolleyes:

It isn't itv's fault. They take the same pictures as Eurosport and the rest of the world from the main broadcaster. The difficulty is transmitting live pictures from a moving vehicle over 200km - you're always going to get breakup at some point, the same happens when they go through France.

But some of the scenery shots are fantastic - there is NO where on earth looks better than Yorkshire on days like today. Beautiful countryside which will attract tourists even more in years to come.

I cannot argue on that point, gods own country is Yorkshire:):)

Really, it doesn't matter what the weather does or how much you dress up the route because whoever chose it is a rank idiot or collection thereof. After watching the Radio Sheffield video of the route I couldn't believe the latter part and the image it will portray of Sheffield. Just as well that the coverage is up against F1 and the tennis but after the backdrop of beautiful Yorkshire to make us all proud we'll be into Hillsborough, Burngreave (God almighty!), Wincobank (why, why, why?) and (of course) Meadowhell. It's an absolute joke. After the negative bashing that Sheffield has had recently on T.V. with those fly on the wall documentaries about Page Hall and the feckless dole scrubbers we could do with painting a better picture than this. I live in North Sheffield and I cycle a lot so I'm not one of the people bashing the event, I just can't believe they've come up with this ridiculous route.

Absolutely agree! Sheffield is one of two European cities built on seven hills, with allegedly more trees than people, and yet the powers that be have chosen to show the world our economic and industrial wastelands. I cannot believe that there is no more scenic route suitable for Le Tour than this!