2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

It will be wonderful - when it's all over.

Angel1

I was cycling along Penistone Road at rush hour earlier this week, when all of a sudden I became very distressed. I thought to myself what if the emergency services had to fight their way through all this traffic. Just think of all those lost seconds, someone could easily die, it's only a matter of time. How selfish of all those vehicle users clogging up the roads.

I was cycling along Penistone Road at rush hour earlier this week, when all of a sudden I became very distressed. I thought to myself what if the emergency services had to fight their way through all this traffic. Just think of all those lost seconds, someone could easily die, it's only a matter of time. How selfish of all those vehicle users clogging up the roads.

I saw an ambulance stuck for several minutes the other day on Mansfield road. The roadworks had reduced the road to one lane, temporary lights were on red and a long queue of traffic was already coming the other way and unable to move over.

Let's hope nobody died because those selfish workers didn't plan for emergency vehicle access, unlike the TdF that has a full plan in place.

Tommo, I hope you realise how stupid your arguments are. If not then there's clearly something a bit wrong with you.

Should be a great day out.

Before the race comes through there is the 'caravan' which is a carnival procession type thing with sponsors throwing gifts out into the crowds, that takes two hours to pass.

There are also the various spectator hubs with entertainment, refreshments, toilet facilities etc located at High Bradfield, Oughtibridge, Meadowhall and Don Valley Bowl.

All can be accessed by public transport with extra trams and trains running plus special bus links.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 22:30 ----------

By the way public transport info thread: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1315438

road closures can be found at http://www.roadworks.org

Ironically the only thing that could make me go for a look is if lance armstrong was racing!

Ok he was found to be using drugs but find me anyone who was in the race leaders that wasnt!

If they were all cheating then he was still the fastest!

they're gonna make it a yearly event now. So prepare for more disruption, roads closed, strikes!!

they're gonna make it a yearly event now. So prepare for more disruption, roads closed, strikes!!

Imagine if the Tour de France was already held every year and has done every year outside of the World Wars for over 100 years.

Wow! Other than the obvious upset about the complete lack of organisation this event has had (or communication of what the hell is going on) we have 74 pages of people arguing the toss. This is one of the best sporting events to come anywhere near us as a region and all we can do is argue, even if you dont follow the sport surely it is easy to see that this is big and fantastic for yorkshire! Come on everyone, if this was a football match people would have had flags up for 6 months, but for this....nothing. im not a huge fan of cycling but I can see how great this is for sheffield, its just a shame so many are using this as an excuse for a rant. Blame the organisers for not knowing how this is going to work and which roads will be shut and when, its not the fault of the cyclists participating. Lets just keep our fingers crossed this doesnt turn out like the sheffield marathon #someonecheckthewaterdelivery

Why figures crossed that it doesn't turn out like the half marathon.

Trying to compare the half marathon with the at Tour de France is like comparing the FIFA World Cup with a Sunday morning kick about in your local park.

ASO know what roads are going to be closed and at what times, the information is also out there for the public to view.

The current road signage stating road closures and the confusion it's causing some people is all down to council and not ASO the race organisers.

The current road signage stating road closures and the confusion it's causing some people is all down to council and not ASO the race organisers.

... or possibly down to the illiteracy of many of the readers of those signs.

... or possibly down to the illiteracy of many of the readers of those signs.

Isn't the idea of putting up road signs that they be clear to folk passing by whilst driving a car. It is all very well for the Illuminati on here to make light of things, but most of them obviously never venture out into the real world as they are glued on here pointing out the faults in others.

Edited by roosterboost