2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

It's not Sheffield's reputation at stake - more that of the cycling lovers of Sheffield - those who are telling everyone how great an event it will be, and is worth all of the disruption to non-believers.

Just as with the Olympics and their Gamesmakers, it's upto those who really are caught up in the TDF frenzy to be the ones to make that difference - the council don't have money to waste for a one-off event like this - especially after they've already shown their views on promoting sport in Sheffield, with the DVS demolition... and particularly for an event with a dubious drug abuse history.

I'm sure a bit less bunting than Leeds has won't be a significant factor in Sheffield's future.

On the plus side, one of the staff at Asda Handsworth on Sunday had a 'Tour Maker' t-shirt on... maybe the PR is finally starting to be cranked up (I noticed the electronic ad board on the Parkway was advertising the tdf on the way home earlier...)

Travelled up through Yorkshire Dales on Sunday and everywhere, even the little villages had bunting, flowers, signs, events, all sorts of things, and looked brilliant.

The Tour isn't going through exactly the best bit of Sheffield, is that why no one seems to have made any effort? Would there be the same lack of interest up Dore, Totley or Millhouses if it was coming in that way?

Well I for one couldn't care less about any cycle race as I will be out of Yorkshire. Ah I get to miss all the traffic delays and all those people that try and walk through you instead of around you

Do us all a favour and take Tommo (we are all doomed ) 68 and Penistone (sad little man) 999 with you. Please dont come back.

As a matter of interest up to 60 lorries have arrived at Hull carrying the floats.

180 vehicles will be in the procession, which proceeds the race,will be

7.4 miles long. So lets stop moaning,and just go out and watch what should be a spectacle, or at least have a look on TV. You might just enjoy it.

Exactlly, it's like a 2-2.5 hour festival/procession, freebies from the sponsors vans etc, topped off with a cracking race, I think it's going to be great!! :)

Most people don't realise this and are probably expecting a few vans and out riders followed by the racers, done and dusted in 20 minutes.

Morning All

Can anyone tell me whats happening in town this weekend with the TDF, I want to take my 6 year old grandson but not sure if there will be anything going on that would suit his age range. He wont know whats going on especially but I would like him to look back and say he was there....ish.

I am not really interested in bikes but you cannot fail to be drawn into this spectacle, I am so proud that Sheffield is part of it all. :-)

All I can find is on Sunday,Coronation Park Oughtibridge,free shuttle bus from tram stop.

I have a feeling something is happening on Saturday in the peace gardens...but I'm probably wrong,

Travelled up through Yorkshire Dales on Sunday and everywhere, even the little villages had bunting, flowers, signs, events, all sorts of things, and looked brilliant.

The Tour isn't going through exactly the best bit of Sheffield, is that why no one seems to have made any effort? Would there be the same lack of interest up Dore, Totley or Millhouses if it was coming in that way?

I think there's plenty of effort been made in places like Bradfield, Oughtibridge and Grenoside, it's once it get's onto the A61 at Grenoside that support for the event seems to disappear.

Apart from a bit of bunting in the city centre and a few food stalls at the top of Fargate, it could be any old week in the centre of Sheffield, which I find a little disappointing.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 07:55 ----------

not read whole thread, where is best place to watch, bradway area??

Do you mean Bradfield?

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 08:00 ----------

I don't understand the huge fuss made over it all, it's just people riding past on bikes. We could watch that almost anytime. Each to their own but I can't help but feel that a lot of people must be absolutely desperate for entertainment.

It's something different.

I'm very much a creature of habit and I'm sure many other people like myself have a weekly routine they tend to follow, so it's nice to break out of that routine from time to time and do something different.

I've never walked from High Green to Grenoside on a Sunday morning to watch a live sporting even/occasion, so this will be something different (although I don't think Mrs Doom is as enthusiastic as myself. :hihi:)

Regards

Doom

All I can find is on Sunday,Coronation Park Oughtibridge,free shuttle bus from tram stop.

I have a feeling something is happening on Saturday in the peace gardens...but I'm probably wrong,

Maybe a big screen event, but the Peace Gardens, as they are now, are nowhere near the event. Not keen on all this hype to be honest, the cyclists will have all passed within 90 seconds

In defence of your discrimination you would find bunting, flags & decorations on certain scattered dwellings around what you refer to as "not the best bit of sheffield" etc so sorry to advise you that cycling is in fact legal to be enjoyed from the poorer members of society living in a shoe and not just toffee nosed upper class lords & ladies such as yourself :loopy:

Meadowhall is not that bad and the tour is going right by it. The tour is also passing right by some friends houses who own bigger better Victorian palaces than people who live in parking less rubbish in your so called better part of Sheffield.

Edited by dutch

In defence of your discrimination you would find bunting, flags & decorations on certain scattered dwellings around what you refer to as "not the best bit of sheffield" etc so sorry to advise you that cycling is in fact legal to be enjoyed from the poorer members of society living in a shoe and not just toffee nosed upper class lords & ladies such as yourself :loopy:

But it isn't a very good show piece for the city and I'm sure there are many who won't be too keen to park their cars around the top of Jenkin Hill. Some of the glitz of the tour can be lost if you return to find the mirrors missing off you car.

Morning All

Can anyone tell me whats happening in town this weekend with the TDF, I want to take my 6 year old grandson but not sure if there will be anything going on that would suit his age range. He wont know whats going on especially but I would like him to look back and say he was there....ish.

I am not really interested in bikes but you cannot fail to be drawn into this spectacle, I am so proud that Sheffield is part of it all. :-)

There is LOADS going on, in the City there will be a 'festival' atmosphere with a big screen at the Peace Gardens (starting tomorrow, showing Wimbledon, then stages 1-3), a French themed market at Fargate, live music organised by Tramlines and so on.

At the Don Valley Grass Bowl (near the finish) there is the official spectator hub with a 100 sqm screen and all sorts of different events.

More hubs at Meadowhall, Wincobank, Oughtibridge, High Bradfield and I am probably forgetting some. We will be heading off to High Bradfield where there is a beer festival (organised by Bradfield Brewery), doc/fest events and so on (and a shuttle from Middlewood tramstop).

The site LeMaquis provided has lots of information.

Maybe a big screen event, but the Peace Gardens, as they are now, are nowhere near the event. Not keen on all this hype to be honest, the cyclists will have all passed within 90 seconds

I have attended a Giro 'grand depart' in Groningen with that mindset, at the end of the day I realised I had taken part in one of the most awesome events I could ever have taken part in and I seriously would have regretted not going to see it.

It isn't just about the cyclists coming past, it is a complete circus. People who think like you and therefore won't bother taking the chance to experience this in their own city are missing out, having said that, do stay away, I don't fancy huge crowds :)