2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

That's not a lot of use to folk who are expecting them to be shut for the duration. You are hardly likely to plan a route hoping the roads open early.

Only on Sheffield Forum could people moan about the roads being opened up a little bit earlier than expected :loopy::loopy:

There will be some limited public transport options.

Trains will run Chapeltown-Meadowhall-Sheffield : http://www.northernrail.org

An altered number 37 bus will run from Parson Cross to Darnall where connections with the 52 will be available. http://www.firstgroup.com/southyorkshire

Trams will run to Meadowhall. http://www.supertram.com

My concern with public transport is the obvious one. It is OK getting on a tram at the terminus at Halfway and travelling to the event. It is totally another expecting to get on a tram home when there are 20,000 folk waiting at the transtop half an hour after the event passes by.

We went to Wembley to watch Muse about a year back. We got back to the tube only to find the road blocked with folk trying to get into the station. It was a total waste of time as was thinking we would wait an hour for the queues to die down by getting a pint in a local boozer.

Edited by roosterboost

Still not sure where to head tbh. I was thinking of getting a bus as near to somewhere the tour goes through as possible, ideally hilly. Don`t mind a few miles walk. Any top tips?

Alternatively, what`d be best for me and my kids, to keep `em occupied all day on the route?

Still not sure where to head tbh. I was thinking of getting a bus as near to somewhere the tour goes through as possible, ideally hilly. Don`t mind a few miles walk. Any top tips?

Alternatively, what`d be best for me and my kids, to keep `em occupied all day on the route?

There's a spectator hub with a big screen and other stuff at Coronation Park, Oughtibridge. It's right next to a decent climb known locally as Jaw Bone Hill, but on the TdF map it's called Cote de Oughtibridge. You won't be able to drive there but you can use the tram to Middlewood and then they are putting buses up to Oughtibridge.

More here.

There's a spectator hub with a big screen and other stuff at Coronation Park, Oughtibridge. It's right next to a decent climb known locally as Jaw Bone Hill, but on the TdF map it's called Cote de Oughtibridge. You won't be able to drive there but you can use the tram to Middlewood and then they are putting buses up to Oughtibridge.

More here.

We are thinking of jaw bone. Presumably it would be a park at Hillsborough somewhere.

Thinking of going to the Yorkshire dales on Saturday but that's probably gonna be hectic

We are thinking of jaw bone. Presumably it would be a park at Hillsborough somewhere.

Thinking of going to the Yorkshire dales on Saturday but that's probably gonna be hectic

On Saturday I'm off to the Yorkshire Festival of Cycling at Harewood house with my family, you can get half price tickets from Amazon local.

The Red Arrows and the Battle of Britain are doing a flypast when the tour comes through and there's loads of other stuff happening there, so I'm hoping that my family will be occupied.

On the Sunday my friend and I are riding out to Holme Moss to watch them climb the hill there, and then cycling back through the race route.

I'm hoping to drive with bike in car to rivelin/loxley/wisewood area then cycle/walk to find a good vantage point somewhere near high brad field.

Top of Jenkin Road where it turns right out towards Meadowhall, things should be heating up around there too

Top of Jenkin Road where it turns right out towards Meadowhall, things should be heating up around there too

Lovely view looking down over the valley too although the best view of the actual race would be a little further down by the Nisa shop as you can see all the way to the bottom of the road and up the road to where it hits the steepest part of the hill.

Not quite as nice as sitting on the grass at the top though, apparently there will be festival stalls, beer tent etc.

Lovely view looking down over the valley too although the best view of the actual race would be a little further down by the Nisa shop as you can see all the way to the bottom of the road and up the road to where it hits the steepest part of the hill.

Not quite as nice as sitting on the grass at the top though, apparently there will be festival stalls, beer tent etc.

Think theres summat similar going on at the flouch.

I am thinking about going out to bradfield to watch, anyone got any idea to what tne parking will be like around damflasks. There appears to be one way system operating but not sue if there will be parking restrictions.