2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

The estate between Jenkin road and Upwell street is, I should know, I'm on it :rolleyes:

and Maplecroft off Newman Rd is too

I just hope that the Ambulance service think again about having a strike on this important day in Yorkshires History.

We are all with you lads just play it smart eh!

I was talking to a bus driver a few days back and he says there is a posibility of them striking too over the shift changes and other policies regarding the tour.

'IF' the Ambulance Service strike on Sunday 6th July, it will be between the hours of 6pm to 10pm.

They should pick another weekend. It will backfire on them in the pr stakes.

Bear in mind it's only one union and therefore just 10% of the workforce, the contingency will simply be overtime. This won't affect the event or cause a fatality but it's going to annoy non-union staff who weren't timetabled on and make the union look like the ginch.

The more I think about going to spectate of the TDF the more underwhelmed I become. The prospect of fighting through a maze of closed roads and parking restriction so that I can stand on a hillside for several hours in the rain hoping to see a few dozen cyclist going past at a canter isn't that appealing. Its all over in 30 seconds and then you face the drama of getting back out of the mayhem and trying to find a route home.#

The alternative is sitting in the dry with a bottle of Chardonnay and watching the footage from the motorbikes where you can watch a couple of hours of the event. Then I can switch channels and watch the British Grand Prix. (another bottle of Chardonnay)

I need to think about this some more. How many traffic wardens will be on duty slapping tickets on cars that are deemed to be parked in the wrong place?

The more I think about going to spectate of the TDF the more underwhelmed I become. The prospect of fighting through a maze of closed roads and parking restriction so that I can stand on a hillside for several hours in the rain hoping to see a few dozen cyclist going past at a canter isn't that appealing. Its all over in 30 seconds and then you face the drama of getting back out of the mayhem and trying to find a route home.#

The alternative is sitting in the dry with a bottle of Chardonnay and watching the footage from the motorbikes where you can watch a couple of hours of the event. Then I can switch channels and watch the British Grand Prix. (another bottle of Chardonnay)

I need to think about this some more. How many traffic wardens will be on duty slapping tickets on cars that are deemed to be parked in the wrong place?

Three days of partying and celebrations at Outibridge Cricket club ,Hogg Roast, Barbi's, Bands and as much Chardonnay as you can sup along with Stonese's, brown ale, Pale Ale, and Gin and it , this along with good company that can not be reciprocated by sitting on a settee getting fat.

It should be a great day and so much more than watching a load of bikes briefly wizz past you!

The actual race is preceded by the Tour de France publicity caravan, kind of like a carnival parade with free gifts from sponsors being thrown out into the crowds lining the route.

There are 'fan zone' festivals going on all over Sheffield with big screens showing the complete stage of the race as well as featuring entertainment, food and drink.

Make use of the public transport available. The tram and train networks will all be running with extra services laid on and connecting buses available to places like Bradfield and Oughtibridge.

If you want to park & ride there are plenty of car parking spaces in Sheffield City Centre as well as the Supertram park & ride sites at Nunnery Square and Halfway.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT ALL DAY PASSES WITHIN SHEFFIELD:

Tram only £3.00

Tram & Stagecoach bus £4.00

Tram & any bus £4.50

Tram, any bus and train £7.50

First bus only £3.80

Stagecoach bus only £3.80

TM Travel bus only £3.60

Supertram Park & Ride £4.50

I've just been to Meadowhall retail park. I am really surprised that there were no signs about the TdF in the car park, the three shops I visited or the main roads around there. There will be no access to the car park next Sunday yet nothing to tell people about this

You can watch cyclists and f1 drivers on TV every other weekend during the summer months, you have one opportunity possibly the only time in your lifetime to see such a world class field of cyclists in the flesh in Sheffield. Up to you of course but it would seem short sighted to miss out because you can watch it on TV.

I don't really expect to see much in the way of cyclists going past, but I want to be there to sample the atmosphere and be a part of an event that I'm never likely to see again in my lifetime in my own back yard.

I've been for a walk up Grenoside this morning and the bunting and yellow bicycles are hanging from the lampposts on the route. As I said to Mrs Doom, it's quiet up here today, but just imagine what it's going to be like this time next week.

Each unto their own I guess, but I'm looking forward to being part of this special event, even though I'm not really into cycling.

I just hope the weather stays fine, because if it bounces it down I would guess that would put a lot of people off making the effort.

Regards

Doom

How many traffic wardens will be on duty slapping tickets on cars that are deemed to be parked in the wrong place?

How appropriate of emma royd to be a pain in the bum.