2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Within this thread, don't be lazy.

And you'd be really content with the emergency services being delayed by a minute when responding to call by a member of your family. ... Does your family know that?

An extra minute a child trapped in a burning house; because a foreign event was taking place in Sheffield without our even being consulted.

Wow, what complete rubbish. This isn't scaremongering at all, just utter stupidity.

Emergency services are delayed every day and for far more than a minute so what's your point? You see there are other cars on the road all the time.

Can I ask, are you ever consulted about the Sheffield half marathon? Or Tramlines for example? All these cause extra traffic and road closures, why aren't you moaning about these?

All these cause extra traffic and road closures, why aren't you moaning about these?
cos he's cyclophobic

I've just been talking to some folk from Meadowhead. They had seen signs about road closures on the A61 and assumed the recent resurfacing of the roads round there was for the Tour de France. They had planned to sit outside the Norton Hotel to watch the race go past.

I've just been talking to some folk from Meadowhead. They had seen signs about road closures on the A61 and assumed the recent resurfacing of the roads round there was for the Tour de France. They had planned to sit outside the Norton Hotel to watch the race go past.

It amazing how some people out there actually have to be spoonfed information.

It amazing how some people out there actually have to be spoonfed information.

Actually I find it more amazing that a week before the world's largest sporting even comes to town the information provided for those who don't spend their day glued to the internet allowed some folk to think the route is passing Meadowhead roundabout.

And here's the link should they want to read the FAQ page.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-grand-départ-2014/faq

So this should debunk the anecdotal tales of us all been doomed next Sunday.

the link works but the site doesn't allow to open the maps.

I have looked at all links. It looks like it starts around 2 is this right? Also if it does why do they need to close roads at 7am on sunday?

Also I still don't know if I can get out of Sheffield onto the M1 that day( M1 South) does anyone know a route I can use as I cannot open any maps from the links sent. I ask as I have friends coming from London who are leaving sunday and I don't want them to come if they cant leave that day so I need to tell them!

I have looked at all links. It looks like it starts around 2 is this right? Also if it does why do they need to close roads at 7am on sunday?

Also I still don't know if I can get out of Sheffield onto the M1 that day( M1 South) does anyone know a route I can use as I cannot open any maps from the links sent. I ask as I have friends coming from London who are leaving sunday and I don't want them to come if they cant leave that day so I need to tell them!

Already told you earlier in the thread, the Parkway is open. Use that.

Parkway will be open, although expect maybe a little more traffic then usual for a Sunday.

Link to stage 2 http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-2.html

What I would like to know is why don't they make the race more realistic by making all the cyclists ride on the pavement,set all the control lights at red so they can speed through and occasionally make them push the button on pelican crossings so they can cycle across the road would be far more interesting and would have saved a fortune resurfacing the roads.:hihi::help:

1. use this link http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/grand-depart-sheffield/route-information

for maps.

2. Persumably they have to fo some planning and preparation for hundreds of thousands of people showing up such as putting any barriers up, getting the spectator hubs ready, ensuring the route is clear and making sure the vast majority of drivers who might normally cross ralise that its closed. How quickly could you do it?

3. I just wouldnt use the parkway but join the m1 further down. Its likely to be busy but no one knows how busy.

Many Thanks . WHy will the parkway be busy wont everyone be in sheffielnear the tour de france?

Many Thanks . WHy will the parkway be busy wont everyone be in sheffielnear the tour de france?

Could be because Londoners are coming up.