2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Just to clarify, I did check on the spreadsheet but the closures don't seem to match up with what's on map.

They've stupidly picked the colour used for Jenkin Road to be very close to the normal colour used for the main roads.

They've stupidly picked the colour used for Jenkin Road to be very close to the normal colour used for the main roads.

I think this is correct otherwise they are closing an astonishing amount of roads. I think the bright pink colour is for the bit of the route 16:17 to 16:19? Give them a ring olive or see what andy says.

Having checked the spreadsheet of named road closures then Altus is correct the bright pink is for Jenkin road. Look at the spreadhseet we linked and you cna see the roads are colour coded.

Edited by 999tigger

Can you get to Meadowhall on the Sunday by car, or is it public transport only?

You will be able to get there early on and depart there later on but there will be high demand for parking spaces and roads will be closed during the daytime

see http://www.meadowhall.co.uk/events.aspx

You may find it easier to park elsewhere and catch a train or tram to Meadowhall.

Go on then, what is your thinking behind that? Hotels are full, restaurants and bars will be busy. Thousands of people are coming to visit Sheffield and the surrounding area. Retail won't suffer as Meadowhall will be rammed as its so close to the stage finish, and the city centre is unaffected by road closures.

Actually according to Look North Sheffield hotels were only 30% booked for the tour. It was suggested that most spectators would be using the temporary out of towncamp sites and folk not interested in the tour were avoiding the area until it is over.

Well in that case it is a really stupid way of doing things. You are driving down a road in traffic you don't have time to work out what some idiot meant. At 50mph you see a sign saying road closed on 6th July or whatever. Its all you have time to take in. I don't need a sign on the parkway telling me about road closures elsewhere. The lunatics have taken over the assylum. I wonder how many folk flashed past the signs and will avoid Sheffield on the 6th July.

For crying out loud the TdF is barely brushing Sheffield and they are sticking out confusing signs bloody miles away.

Yeah only roughly the last 25 miles of the route is raced on Sheffield roads, barely touches Sheffield doesn't it.

Ah, that makes sense. We're going to try to call tomorrow to make sure.

You scaremongering clown, it is doing no such thing.

You have summed tommo68 up perfectly there.

Couldnt agree more.

His posts on the tour are absurd.

its one day.

Enjoy it. I certainly will

Yeah only roughly the last 25 miles of the route is raced on Sheffield roads, barely touches Sheffield doesn't it.

I suppose not. That's under 2% of Sheffields roads and all in one corner.

You have summed tommo68 up perfectly there.

Couldnt agree more.

His posts on the tour are absurd.

its one day.

Enjoy it. I certainly will

Still don't know where I am watching it. Might just have a sofa day and enjoy it in HD at home, avoid the crowds. Certainly don't begrudge it passing through!

Still don't know where I am watching it. Might just have a sofa day and enjoy it in HD at home, avoid the crowds. Certainly don't begrudge it passing through!

Awsome. Aren't you one who has been bulling this up as once in a lifetime?

Awsome. Aren't you one who has been bulling this up as once in a lifetime?

Not really, I've more been the one to knock people moaning about it coming. I'm at the wrong end of town to go and see it really. Plus I'm working until very late Saturday night so I'll probably be shattered Sunday :cool:

Not really, I've more been the one to knock people moaning about it coming. I'm at the wrong end of town to go and see it really. Plus I'm working until very late Saturday night so I'll probably be shattered Sunday :cool:

What's the wrong end of town?. I thought it was coming to Sheffield the home of awsome public transport. It's not like you live in Swansea.