2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

It appears to be very difficult to get across to some people that there will be a lot of inconvenience caused by our hosting this event. Undoubtedly soem people wil be caused distress too.

Just because it is extremely unlikely that I will be personally affected does not stop me being concerned thay others will.

I will concede yoour point that these days that may well seem odd to some people especially the more selfcentered ones, to whom their pleasure, enjoyment etc is one of their first priorities, not caring or having sufficient empathy to realise that others may be affected adversely.

I admit I have repeated myself, as the message remains the same. I can imagine lots of different scenarios where some people will be wishing that this event was not taking place, as I'm sure anyone with any imagination can.

I find it very difficult to see anything constructive about this event that is sufficiently good to outweigh the concerns I have already outlined.

Doubtless whilst I continue to try get some people to stop and consider the possible and the real plights others may find themselves in I will repeat myself again.

At least the more intelligent people have stopped accusing me of moaning and even some of the less intelligent people have stopped responding to my posts in a non-constructive way.

All the concerns I have raised are real, I feel there is the potential for some very negative things to happen as a result of this event being held here and I honestly believe that either they have not occurred to the SCC or worse still they have occurred to the SCC and they have chosen to ignore them.

It appears that some people who initially responded to my original post quite negatively are at last begining to realise that my concerns are not illconsidered, or without merit and that I am not just trying to be a killjoy.

So apart from a good rant on here, what have you done, like contract SCC to raise your concerns about this event coming to Sheffield to highlight how much distress and inconvenience you think it's going to cause.

I think there will more people enjoying this event coming to sheffield than there will be people who are in a state of distress.

Edited by pb1977

what time is best to get there?

---------- Post added 20-06-2014 at 08:18 ----------

also where along the route will give the best view?

None of these things matter to those whose self-interest come first I suppose.

Lets get this straight. The TDF isn't coming here on the whim of a handful of selfish "lycra lunatics" (as you probably call them). It's a business decsion made by Yorkshire tourism in conjunction with Sheffield City Council. Like it or not, they represent you and me. If you feel they don't represent you, vote em out next election.

The crux of their argument is that it will generate money for the local economy and give pleasure and a feeling of well being for the majority, and despite you probably arguing differently, post event will determine if this was right. Given that there are positive benefits for the masses, please remind me again which group of people (pro or anti the event) are in the minority here and by making lots of noise is promoting their self interests against the majority.

It's always the selfish minority who make the most noise moaning in my opinion.

There is more to life than visiting Meadowhall on a sunday mate. Get out to watch the race, you may enjoy it, not that I expect you'd have the guts to admit it afterwards

The main reason this cycling competition is so attractive and appealing is because it is a main representation of humanities struggles to go faster, further, and beat your opponents while doing that.

If this would have been a display of relaxation, peace, sharing, calmness. Very few would be interested. Humanity wants to race with great speed into the future and spend all that council money it says we don't have in all other much needed projects on a competitive cycling event.

I will go and watch it knowing that no matter how fast they go for it or how hard they cycle uphill they will not find what they are looking for in that race. Even if they win it will only be temporary and some day someone else will win the tour, and then someone else. Winning is only something temporary, you win something eternal in life when you stop competing and racing.

What I see is another display of a humanity that praises extreme competitive effort to fight for recognition and fame. While that same humanity wonders why it is always stressed, intense and too much causing people to go too far and break down.

Why not give a yellow jersey to someone who cycles around relaxed, nice and slow and gives a perfect example of how you live a calm healthy and balanced live.

last resort

noun

a final course of action, used only when all else has failed.

I know what resort means :rolleyes: but didn't know what restrot meant,

typing error I assume.

All the concerns I have raised are real, I feel there is the potential for some very negative things to happen as a result of this event being held here and I honestly believe that either they have not occurred to the SCC or worse still they have occurred to the SCC and they have chosen to ignore them.

My issue with your argument here is that you make it sound like this is just some new race that Sheffield City Council have invented and are running all by themselves.

The Tour de France has been running more than 100 years and has a lot of experienced people at the helm. It's one of the biggest sporting events in the world and has passed through countless cities both in France and abroad. Whilst the ultimate responsibility for road closures and free-flow of emergency vehicles will sit with the Council, the idea that the Council would not have consulted the TdF organisers and researched how other cities have managed it is pretty illogical, as if the Council have never closed a road for a major event in this city before anyway.

You're right to ask questions, Tommo, and your specific concerns aren't unfounded, but they will be dealt with. Even our Council can manage this. The financial benefits are huge and I will be one of 10,000s if not 100,000s who will delight in a fleeting glance of one of the planets premiers sporting events.

I could be wrong, but history suggests there'll be no problems.

The main reason this cycling competition is so attractive and appealing is because it is a main representation of humanities struggles to go faster, further, and beat your opponents while doing that.

If this would have been a display of relaxation, peace, sharing, calmness. Very few would be interested. Humanity wants to race with great speed into the future and spend all that council money it says we don't have in all other much needed projects on a competitive cycling event.

I will go and watch it knowing that no matter how fast they go for it or how hard they cycle uphill they will not find what they are looking for in that race. Even if they win it will only be temporary and some day someone else will win the tour, and then someone else. Winning is only something temporary, you win something eternal in life when you stop competing and racing.

What I see is another display of a humanity that praises extreme competitive effort to fight for recognition and fame. While that same humanity wonders why it is always stressed, intense and too much causing people to go too far and break down.

Why not give a yellow jersey to someone who cycles around relaxed, nice and slow and gives a perfect example of how you live a calm healthy and balanced live.

I'd go along with that. I cycle quite a bit, but consider myself to be safe enough to do it without closing all the roads off. I respect faster road users too ... pulling to one side (or stopping) to allow other road users to pass, thus preventing any stress to myself or others (you know what it's like).

Cycling isn't really a sport in my opinion, just a relaxing way of getting about. If I want to go fast I use another two wheeled vehicle ... a motorbike.

Even as a motorcyclist I have very little interest in racing, although competitors in such events as the TT possess much greater skills than any cyclist.

Certainly, if you want to go fast, then a pedal cycle is very definitely the wrong mode of transport, so I can see little point to it.

However, it takes all sorts, so I don't have a problem with those who want to either take part in or watch this particular pursuit. I'd put cycling in the same class of outdoor activities such as archery or cheese rolling, whereby very little skill is involved. Each to their own though ...

I'm really struggling to see whether you love the event or hate it. On one hand you talk of your upbringing where the tour seems to have evoked happy memories. On the other, you seem to berate those who are going to watch it and the council "spending" money on it. I dunno?? Has something happened to put you in what appears to be this state of confusion?

Anyway, the council are investing money in it - or at least that is their intention, not whimsical spending as your post suggests. Hopefully as well as boosting the local economy, it hopes that there will be some mass wellbeing, something that your statement on healthy and balanced lives should support - the riders won't be going through a state of wrelaxation, they will be at work riding bikes, their jerseys acting as mobile advertising billboards.

For everyone at work, you may be right that success is temporary and the feeling of satisfaction comes after retirement - I don't know, I'm still working, but why single out cycling as if it's the work of the devil, when it has much in common with every workplace?

---------- Post added 20-06-2014 at 13:36 ----------

I'd go along with that. I cycle quite a bit, but consider myself to be safe enough to do it without closing all the roads off. I respect faster road users too ... pulling to one side (or stopping) to allow other road users to pass, thus preventing any stress to myself or others (you know what it's like).

Cycling isn't really a sport in my opinion, just a relaxing way of getting about. If I want to go fast I use another two wheeled vehicle ... a motorbike.

Even as a motorcyclist I have very little interest in racing, although competitors in such events as the TT possess much greater skills than any cyclist.

Certainly, if you want to go fast, then a pedal cycle is very definitely the wrong mode of transport, so I can see little point to it.

Cycling in the main has three main aspects - transport, leisure or sport. You can choose to combine a number or do just one. You use one for effective transport only, which is fair enough

However, it takes all sorts, so I don't have a problem with those who want to either take part in or watch this particular pursuit. I'd put cycling in the same class of outdoor activities such as archery or cheese rolling, whereby very little skill is involved. Each to their own though ...
ye gods, how little you know.

Babies learn to walk so walking across the Niagra falls on a tightrope takes no skill.

Jeez! You are so far off mark, a forum post wouldn't even begin to educate you on this one

ye gods, how little you know.

Babies learn to walk so walking across the Niagra falls on a tightrope takes no skill.

Jeez! You are so far off mark, a forum post wouldn't even begin to educate you on this one

The day I see with my own eyes, a baby cycling across Niagara Falls on a tightrope, whilst wearing a yellow, lycra encrusted nappy, will be the day that cycling becomes interesting ... if that's what you're implying? :)

Well hyper

I've never said I loved or hated tour the france, can't be bothered to waste my energy in either one.

Why should I put any energy in hating it? Or in loving it? When I can simply enjoy its coming to Sheffield either way.

The world is in war religious and political discomfort because of the honouring and appreciating of blood transfusion driven competitions with the goal of winning and global fame. It creates tensions, expectations, frustrations, false hopes and sometimes illusionary temporary happy moments.

This society does not appreciate or value peacefull, sharing non egoistic cycling without doping or advertising. Then cries and wonders why everything is the way it is when conflict and frustrations arise.

The roads will be closed - you won't physically be able to get to the car park!

You can either park nearby and walk or use the tram park & ride.

This is what Cineworld's own website now says:

The Tour de France takes place around Valley Centertainment on Sunday 06 July. Various road closures will be in effect from 18:00 Saturday 05 July until 07:00 Monday 07July. Access to the car park will be limited to Broughton Lane via the Burger King entrance. On Sunday 06 July customer parking will be very limited during the daytime. The Centertainment tram station will be closed Sunday evening. We apologise for any inconvenience which you may experience.

The day I see with my own eyes, a baby cycling across Niagara Falls on a tightrope, whilst wearing a yellow, lycra encrusted nappy, will be the day that cycling becomes interesting ... if that's what you're implying? :)

I have been to niagra falls. Got nothing to do with cycling.