2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Sheffield is very isolated and sleepy. It only shows interest in something when it comes knocking on the door.

And from my ten years of living here, it is full of moaning idiots who would rather things didnt come here in the first place.

Then again, that would results in threads like "Sheffield is useless for not having the TdF come through it", so nobody can win, huh? :rant:

Germany, holland, Belgium, maybe Italy as well used to have at least four hours of tour the france every stage on national television long long time before BBC showed any significant interest in it and even now you see four times more pool than tour..

Imagine if the BBC showed the Tour de France.

ITV do, previous to that it was Channel 4, and ITV have done a fantastic job of it in recent years.

I remember watching tour the France from when I was a baby and could not even cycle myself yet.

It is not a requirement to have interest, it is not mandatory. It is perfectly fine if someone knows little about it, you will be neither better nor worse if you invested energy in it or not and someone who has watched and talked about tour a lot is no better than a sheffielders who only shows interest when they come to Sheffield.

I did a little search and there is a little interest here in the past although doping was the biggest issue there were few very authentically interested people there with someone on forum asking in 2011 "Any pubs in North Sheffield showing the Tour live this weekend? "

With only one answer that was "youre having a tin bath mate"

I know when I am visiting Europe you hear people often talk about the tour. In the train, on the station, waiting for the bus. On the market, in a pub, it is everywhere in Europe for many many years.

Sheffield knew about it a little bit but has only really woken up now they are coming to Sheffield.

That would have never happened if they did not come here.

Edited by dutch

Nothing wrong, it is fine. Just hypocritical to pretend as if this is something you always cared about before while you knew very little about it, but that is fine too, politicians have been dishonest and lying for thousands of years.

Enjoy the tour, it is great. Start some interest in it but I am certain this interest will be new and fresh in Sheffield because no one has ever even casually mentioned it in all the years I have lived here, not even one little tiny reference to the tour have I heard, anywhere before the announcement of the Sheffield finish.

Sheffield is very isolated and sleepy. It only shows interest in something when it comes knocking on the door.

Germany, holland, Belgium, maybe Italy as well used to have at least four hours of tour the france every stage on national television long long time before BBC showed any significant interest in it and even now you see four times more pool than tour..

It's not Sheffield specifically that was not interested, Road racing was historically a minority interest sport in the UK as a whole. Interest has increased in the last 10 or 15 years, breaking into mainstream analogue and digital TV, even before Wiggins and Cavendish came to the fore to add to British interest. Sheffield is (a typical) part of the UK. It has the same national TV as everywhere else in the UK. It's no more sleepy and isolated than any other part of the UK.

I've been able to watch 1 hour summary of the day's stages for years, on national TV, after I get in from work, and full stage coverage has been available for several years (but I don't see many because work gets in the way) - and that's without satellite TV, which has had coverage for even longer.

Professional road racing has always been a minority sport in the UK compared to mainland Europe and always will be. It has however started to get a lot more press coverage and not just this year due to the start been in Yorkshire. The BBC don't show the race because they don't have the TV rights to do so, just like Sky who have a team with the race favourite in it also can't show the race. ITV do a great job of covering the race. I think they now show every stage live.

Having Team Sky and our first British winner of the race in 2012 has been a big factor in the race and pro road racing getting more coverage in the press.

And so what if people who normally wouldn't have given the event a second thought are talking about this race purely because it's in Yorkshire this year. This can only be a good thing, hopefully having the race pass through our small part of the world will make some kids decide this is the sport for me.

Sheffield is very isolated and sleepy.

Yawn yawn, You do go on a bit repeating yourself.

For someone who mumps about almost everything in Sheffield I ask why are you here?

I remember watching tour the France from when I was a baby and could not even cycle myself yet.

It is not a requirement to have interest, it is not mandatory. It is perfectly fine if someone knows little about it, you will be neither better nor worse if you invested energy in it or not and someone who has watched and talked about tour a lot is no better than a sheffielders who only shows interest when they come to Sheffield.

I did a little search and there is a little interest here in the past although doping was the biggest issue there were few very authentically interested people there with someone on forum asking in 2011 "Any pubs in North Sheffield showing the Tour live this weekend? "

With only one answer that was "youre having a tin bath mate"

I know when I am visiting Europe you hear people often talk about the tour. In the train, on the station, waiting for the bus. On the market, in a pub, it is everywhere in Europe for many many years.

Sheffield knew about it a little bit but has only really woken up now they are coming to Sheffield.

That would have never happened if they did not come here.

So it can only be a good thing that the race is coming to Sheffield. Generate some interest and get people talking about the sport.

Having seen the Tour a few times now in France, in my opinion it is better to watch it on TV! Road disruption, crowds of folk and the race itself is past in about a minute. We had French students staying with us for about 10 years, in England to improve their English and non were interested in the Tour.

It is confirmed. There will be no public access to cineworld parking. Staff will have to walk that day. I rather see the tour than a movie but a big parking opportunity has been dumped

It is confirmed. There will be no public access to cineworld parking. Staff will have to walk that day. I rather see the tour than a movie but a big parking opportunity has been dumped

I dunno, if the car park was to be opened it would be utter, utter carnage in there. Probably best it stays shut.

The eateries will still do a roaring trade, bowling and cinema probably will as well as people will make a day of it.

IThe eateries will still do a roaring trade, bowling and cinema probably will as well as people will make a day of it.

You are thinking positively. Be careful, many on here (the forum in general) don't like that. Put on your flak jacket now.

I dunno, if the car park was to be opened it would be utter, utter carnage in there. Probably best it stays shut.

The eateries will still do a roaring trade, bowling and cinema probably will as well as people will make a day of it.

It might be the emergency services have looked into the possibility that if it got oput there were a few hundred parking spaces, then everyone would ignore the main message of walking and public transport and many thousands could descend on it.

It might be the emergency services have looked into the possibility that if it got oput there were a few hundred parking spaces, then everyone would ignore the main message of walking and public transport and many thousands could descend on it.

Exactly my thinking. It's bad enough on a Friday night when there is also something on at the Arena.