2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Threads merged. Please use the search facility before starting new threads

Said most likely by people who have absolutely no idea how big of an event the Tour de France is.

Some might say it's just a cycles race, some people also say the World Cup final is just a football match.

It's the biggest sporting event Sheffield has seen in my life time so far and will be for a long time to come.

Completely agree, I love cycling although am not fit enough to go far these days.

I was wondering where the best place to watch would be around high bradfield. I was thinking of driving to wisewood with bikes in car then cycling along the top roads to high bradfield. Will this be possible?

Said most likely by people who have absolutely no idea how big of an event the Tour de France is.

Some might say it's just a cycles race, some people also say the World Cup final is just a football match.

It's the biggest sporting event Sheffield has seen in my life time so far and will be for a long time to come.

I'm sure the self same people moaned and bleated during Euro 96 when Sheffield played host to those wonderful Danish fans who drank Sheffield dry, camped in Hillsborough and did dying fly impressions in front of the clock in Orchard Square. They were great.

As you say about the World Cup "Moan, bleat, grumble....it's just a football match, I could go t'field a t'bottom of t'road and watch lads playin footy...moan moan moan"

I find some Sheffielder's attitudes embarrassing, sad and parochial.

Seeing as you brought all this up Rob

A lot more cars run red lights than cyclists.

Is that actual numbers or proportionally? There are a lot less cyclists than other motorists on the road at most times. Where did you get your figures please I'd like to see them for myself.

... And yes, some cyclists will go through no entry signs etc, .

Well at least you are honest enough to admit that much. The cyclists' reason is not really relevant if a motorist was to break the law it for his or her own self-justified reason they would still be prosecuted.

Unfortunately it's a fact that many motorists don't look out for bikes and it's sometimes a case of self-preservation and taking the safe option rather than the strictly legal one. But it's not a 'menace', it's safer for everyone.

The difference is motorists are prosecuted and with penalties, might get points, may lose their licence and may have to pay increased insurance premiums. None of which happens to cyclists.

It may surprise you but choosing which laws you wish to adhere to is not an option. Nor apparently is ignorance of the law an excuse.

I only mention that because most cyclists have not even taken a cycling proficiency course never mind had to test of competence to prove they both know and are able to follow the law and drive safely.

Yes there is the odd d*ck on a bike! but they're outnumbered 100-1 by d*cks in cars so that's no argument.

Again is that actual numbers or proportionally. Again I'd like to see these numbers you keep quoting for myself.

You still haven't explained why it's a menace - menace to who exactly, are bicycles going to come off best or worst in any collision with a car whatsoever? We know the answer so why and who exactly are they a 'menace' to?

Bicyclists are a menace to other road users and pedestrians alike, more so to pedestrians in a sense because although they are not to ride on the pavements they still do and on pedestrian precincts as well. With no proven ability to ride a bike on a road in most cases and No compulsory 3rd party insurance for when they do cause accidents. No real liablity for either accidents caused or offences committed, their lights especially the ones they wear point in any direction. Often are too bright and sometimes flash. Their pedal cycles do not have to pass an annual test of road worthiness nor are they prosecuted for having an unroadworthy pedal cycle on the road. Nor are there any minumum safety requirements, adherence to which is assessed through stingent and very expensive testing, made upon the manufacturers when making pedal cycles for use on the road. I'll also point out that pedal cyclists have on their vehicle no registration number with which they can be identified in the event thay are observed commiting traffic offences. Not that it matters there are very few prosecutions of pedal cyclists although I will concede there have been some in london.

You say a pedal cyclist will come off worse than a motorist in an accident. As regards physical injuries then more than likely, regardless of fault. Financially the motorist will come off worst in most cases; just a minor body repair and a partial respray can cost more than some bicycles. Not forgetting the motorist has no way of making an insurance ckaim against a pedal cyclist in almost all cases.

And the old 'using the roads for free' argument, deary me this has been gone over a dozen times in this thread alone. General taxation pays for roads, NOT 'road tax' or insurance, so ALL taxpayers pay for the roads and NOBODY 'rides them for free' unless you are a non-taxpayer.

Road tax and the tax on fuel does contribute towards the upkeep of the roads, as indeed does all taxation. Pedal cyclist do in effect ride on the road for free becuase they do not make the same extra contributions motorists have to make. So I guess your going over this a dozen times was not enough for you to get the message.

I'm not sure if you've realised, but everyone is allowed to cycle.

Everyone is.. without ever having passed a test or having 3rd party insurance.

Yes I have a bike, and 2 cars, and I pay plenty of income tax,

The amount one contributes in income tax does not entitle anyone to anything above what anyone else is entitled to, which I'm sure you know

You are not contributing to the upkeep of the roads when you ride your pedal cycle without needing fuel.

Having two cars or even 10 is irrelevant really you can only use one at a time. Though in fairness I have long believed that road tax in unfair for the same reason.. you can only drive one vehichle at a time so wh y pay tax for them all.

so I'll continue to ride the roads 'for free'.

I have little doubt tha tyou will and presumably without proof your competent to be on the road on your pedal cycle and without the benefit of 3rd party insurance.

Not that any of this has anything to do with addressing the concerns, inconvenience and distress that will or potentially may be caused by holding a stage of the TdF in Sheffield.

OMG not only is Tommo anti TDF, he's anti cyclist as well.....

From the sounds of it the Woodhead Pass between Tintwistle and Flouch roundabout will be closed to all non emergency traffic from early morning Saturday, the day before the race comes to Sheffield and then reopen late evening on the Sunday.

Edited by pb1977

From the sounds of it the Woodhead Pass between Tintwistle and Flouch roundabout will be closed to all non emergency traffic from early morning Saturday, the day before the race comes to Sheffield and then reopen late evening on the Sunday.

Source????

Source????

Just been chatting with a friend of mine who's a policeman. Does seem a little OTT to close it from early saturday. Could see it closed from say 6am on the Sunday but I'm gunna see if he can show me something official stating it will be closed so early to traffic as I can't find anything posted online.

Yeah I can't see it being closed that long either. No info on the Barnsley Council website?

Just been chatting with a friend of mine who's a policeman. Does seem a little OTT to close it from early saturday. Could see it closed from say 6am on the Sunday but I'm gunna see if he can show me something official stating it will be closed so early to traffic as I can't find anything posted online.

Most of the roads which are on the routes will be closed in roughly 3 phases

7:30-6:30

9-7

11-7

I assume they need time to put all the barriers up and then take them down. You either trust the emrgency services as knowing what they are doing or you dont.

Just found this.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/community/tour_de_france_coasting_into_derbyshire_2014/road_closures/default.asp

Says Woodhead from Tintwistle all the way to the turn off for Midhopestones is closed from just after Midnight Sunday the 6th. So maybe things have just recently changed for an earlier closure. Also looks like some issues with closures on the A57 at the junction where it meets the Woodhead.

Holme Moss Pass closed from 6pm Friday the 4th.

Edited by pb1977