2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

When I was little and watching sports on TV in Netherlands I have always preferred watching the tour the france and never cared about soccer.

All that effort to go faster and to get there first, pushing pushing, struggling, more and more hassle to get that little faster and further.

Interesting how this can be so entertaining to observe that intense war that turns cycling into something of an insane competitive fight. Cycling is fun when done relaxed, enjoying the landscape and environment, when competing you miss a lot of what is there.

That is why so many in this society are stressed and frustrated, they value a competitive race more than something calm with little or no goal to reach.

The neighbouring roads (Broughton lane and Attercliffe Common) will be closed from 6pm Saturday night until the early hours of Monday morning according to a letter we received from the council. This obviously means no access to the park via road over that period. The trams should be back in service by then.

With it being one of the busiest expected weekends of the summer for us (Transformers 4 is out on Saturday 5th, and How To Train Your Dragon 2 has previews Friday to Sunday), we will be extremely unhappy if forced to close, as the loss to business will be quite high.

At this point in time we don't know what we will be doing - obviously if staff cannot got to work, then we will be forced to close.

---------- Post added 16-06-2014 at 20:37 ----------

Broughton Lane will be closed past the Arena parking overflow, right down to the Attercliffe Commone intersection - so, that means no access to the car park at Centertainment either.

Your patrons will be very unhappy too. Please make representations to SCC (although I doubt that it will achieve any change).

All this for just a cycle race's brief passage.

Your patrons will be very unhappy too. Please make representations to SCC (although I doubt that it will achieve any change).

So many people I speak to think the same.

Watch out for the thread bullies who will swoop on you and tell you that you are evil for suggesting such a thing. That you should feel honoured that the cyclists will fly through this fine city of ours at such a speed that if you blink you will miss them. The hype is incredible and has sucked them all in.

Let's hope your moderator status defends you against them...........:thumbsup:

Ducks.........................

Edited by Daven

Watch out for the thread bullies who will swoop on you and tell you that you are evil for suggesting such a thing. That you should feel honoured that the cyclists will fly through this fine city of ours at such a speed that if you blink you will miss them. The hype is incredible and has sucked them all in.

As I've said to others on the thread, it's fine not to like le Tour, but it is possible to dislike it with out disparaging it.

Yeah, because they are really going to change the route now eh? :roll:

Just a cycle race :loopy:

Probably the biggest sporting event in Yorkshire since God knows when.

An ample opportunity for those with gumption to make a bit money, for places like Bradfield to have weekend long carnival, an opportunity for people to let their fields for camping, an opportunity for Sheffield to display itself to the world, for traders to produce Tour related merchandise.

Unfortunately also an opportunity for those negative moaners to appear in The Star pointing and looking glum whilst organising a petition because a road they never use is being blocked for a few hours on a Sunday.

Blimey, folks coming to Sheffield to spend money....how very dare they!

Probably the same moaners who think we should shut the Universities down to stop all those pesky students clogging up our city.

Quite right. And what about all the roads in London closed for the marathon which is just some people running along a road.

Ducks.........................

I've been avoiding this thread because of the constant moaning. I'd much rather we talked about the event and what we're going to do on the day, but this thread is overwhelmed with not in my back yarders. It's really two different threads but we're stuck with one.

Smiggs you are soooooo right, right, RIGHT.

I tried to get things back to cycling but was soon swamped. The annoying thing is that as you look back there are only a few knockers but they are very persistent. Everyone else - stop giving them the fuel of replies.

I see on the Royal Propaganda Corporation site that Plastikate, Willy and Harry Hewitt will be coming up here for the 'Grand Depart'. I presume that will be in Leeds.

At least the French know how to treat royalty.

What the English did 150 ish years before them ?

Said most likely by people who have absolutely no idea how big of an event the Tour de France is.

Some might say it's just a cycles race, some people also say the World Cup final is just a football match.

It's the biggest sporting event Sheffield has seen in my life time so far and will be for a long time to come.