2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

I don't know the details of total road closures, but have seen some of the news items about the chap on Fox Hill who was complaining about the area being cut off

Is that the same chap who was complaining that Foxhill businesses wouldnt be able to get their deliveries? On a Sunday?

Ah yeah, him. I'll ignore his inane ramblings, thanks.

Consent? What are you expecting to happen, the Council to go around knocking on doors asking for permission? Don't talk wet.

Oh do please pardon me I had no idea that sheffield was no longer part of the supposed democracy called the UK.

The council will be gald to hear that you at least have no wish to be consulted about anything they may want to do in sheffield in future.

As for the bit you bolded yourself, only the finish bit will be closed for that length of time, and that is an area of the City with a very, very low residential population. In fact the only people who probably live in that area are the people who may live upstairs in the couple of licensed premises down there.

All the rest of the route will be closed for 12 hours, not 36. Then again, I'm sure you knew that already didn't you? :rolleyes:

Even 12 hours is ridiculously long length of time to close of access between some parts of a city.

The residential population of the areas to affected for up to 36 hours is low... so you are saying its ok to inconvenience a minority. That's interesting.

The effect on Meadowhell and the retailers therein concerns me very little the prices they charge a lot of them can afford to lose a weekend's trade, though not all of them. Many people will be being put to a great deal of inconvenience in regard to their daily commute for work. There are other smaller businesses outside of meadowhell that will be adversely effected as will their employees. They will be reassured by your lack of care in that regard.

What does concern me is;

The movement of emergency services through the affected areas and the fact that they are cutting off the majority of sheffield's population from the only A&E centre.

Making it nearly impossible for people to get to and from work or visit friends and relatives in sheffield's main hospital that day appears from your lack of comment to have not even been considered by you or is it that you don't care about those small details either.

You moan about people complaining about something that you want to see happen yet fail to offer any reasonable explanation why the people of sheffield should be subject to all the inconvenience that this once french event will cause.

You have effectively said that in your opinion that the council can do as it wishes without consultation. The same council that has withdrawn almost all if not all of the free public toilets in sheffield because it won't allocate the money to a provision that is made in most civilised parts of the world but will spend money on this event; and don't even bother trying to tell me sheffield's rate payers will incur no costs through this.

You have clearly not considered the possible negative effects on people's daily lives so that you can watch some sweaty men riding bicycles, or of course as long as you are getting the opportunity for indulging your fantasy at no cost to you then you don't appear to actually care how this event may affect others.

Yet some people on this site have the audacity to tell me I'm being selfish.

You really think Meadowhall is going to lose a days trade? There are going to be thousands of people in the area. Thousands!

Access for emergency vehicles has been sorted. Nobody is going to die, as much as you want that to happen to prove your point.

As for visiting hospitals, will one Sunday not visiting really hurt? If not, go to the hospital before 7am and stay all day, or find a different way there, this isn't rocket science.

As for consulting people, do you really really think they have to get permission from all residents in order to close roads? You dont, so pull your head out of your aris.

And finally: "moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan!"

Edited by No User Name

moan moan moan moan moan moan

You've spent much more time moaning than you will ever lose from a cycle race briefly passing by.

So Tommo68 are you seriously suggesting that there should be some form of consultation period for every event that takes place in Sheffield that could result in inconveniencing some of the good folk of this city.

You will be pleased to know there is a city centre bike race in Sheffield on Wednesday 23rd July and yep roads will be closed.

So Tommo68 are you seriously suggesting that there should be some form of consultation period for every event that takes place in Sheffield that could result in inconveniencing some of the good folk of this city.

You will be pleased to know there is a city centre bike race in Sheffield on Wednesday 23rd July and yep roads will be closed.

To be fair to Tommo68, he/she suggested that the stage of Le Tour that is ending in Sheffield could have be held at the track at Don Valley if it was still standing.

Great Yorkshire Run in a few months as well isn't it?

Yup, roads closed.

The movement of emergency services through the affected areas and the fact that they are cutting off the majority of sheffield's population from the only A&E centre.

Yet some people on this site have the audacity to tell me I'm being selfish.

I wouldn't call you selfish with a quote like that. I'd call you irrational, emotional, dishonest, stupid and a bit of a joke really, but not selfish.

I wouldn't call you selfish with a quote like that. I'd call you irrational, emotional, dishonest, stupid and a bit of a joke really, but not selfish.

Couldn't agree more. You could use most of that to describe penistone999 too.

Even 12 hours is ridiculously long length of time to close of access between some parts of a city.

There are roads closed all the time with the current resurfacing works, and for much longer than 12 hours. Guess what, everyone manages and I haven't heard of a single person dying in a re-routed ambulance yet.

I can't be bothered to quote the rest of your post because it's plain silly. The worlds biggest bike race is coming to Sheffield, maybe you don't like it but millions do so you're going to have to cope with it, for all of ONE day. And if you avoid the areas it runs through and don't watch ITV4 or EuroSport you won't even know it's on.

There are roads closed all the time with the current resurfacing works, and for much longer than 12 hours. Guess what, everyone manages and I haven't heard of a single person dying in a re-routed ambulance yet.

I can't be bothered to quote the rest of your post because it's plain silly. The worlds biggest bike race is coming to Sheffield, maybe you don't like it but millions do so you're going to have to cope with it, for all of ONE day. And if you avoid the areas it runs through and don't watch ITV4 or EuroSport you won't even know it's on.

That doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.......

I don't understand why the route had to go near to the NGH since it is a major trauma centre and receives emergency cases from all of South Yorkshire, north Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. I pray that nodody needing emergency care is delayed in receiving it by this 'event'.

Anyone who believes that it will not impact on local emergency health care is disillusioned imo.

The road will only be closed to motor traffic, anyone needing A&E could put a number on their bike and just ride in couldn't they?