2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

My brother has to get to NGH on day of race , does anyone know best way to get there

You will no doubt receive some good advice if you tell us from where he is coming !!

My brother has to get to NGH on day of race , does anyone know best way to get there

Have you had any communication with STH?? I'm sure there will be plans in place for employees to get to workplaces so I think they could be a good start, Do you know anyone with a Sheffield Teaching Hospitals E-Mail, they might have already had internal communications.

You could also try contacting the department seeing your brother if they have any contingency plans for patients possibly arriving late.

Edited by lilypiglet
edit

The race will be heading East from the North of Sheffield so central areas will be fine from Western and Southern areas of Sheffield

Oughtibridge 15h42 16h10

Grenoside 15h47 16h16

Jenkin Road 16h06 16h37

SHEFFIELD 16h14 16h46

Sorry , he will coming from Hyde Park Flats , usually goes Burngreave way

Sorry , he will coming from Hyde Park Flats , usually goes Burngreave way

Looking at the route map getting from Hyde Park flats to the NGH on race day is going to be a PITA.

If driving off the top of my head he could do City Centre to Shepcote Lane, Tinsley Viaduct, Woolley Wood Bottom, Bellhouse Road to Firth Park, Hucklow Road then Barnsley Road to NGH.

Public transport. Train from Sheffield to Chapletown then bus 75 to NGH.

Looking at the route map getting from Hyde Park flats to the NGH on race day is going to be a PITA.

If driving off the top of my head he could do City Centre to Shepcote Lane, Tinsley Viaduct, Woolley Wood Bottom, Bellhouse Road to Firth Park, Hucklow Road then Barnsley Road to NGH.

Public transport. Train from Sheffield to Chapletown then bus 75 to NGH.

I hope you dont mind me saying in an earlier post I advised to avoid this side of Sheffield as this is within 200m of miles of the route.

Burngreave to NGH will be fine.

Thanks so much , will let him know , although as a previous poster said , Hospital should let staff know which is best way . I hope so anyway

I hope you dont mind me saying in an earlier post I advised to avoid this side of Sheffield as this is within 200m of miles of the route.

Burngreave to NGH will be fine.

Depends which part of Burngreave. The race does to straight down Burngreave Road. Be on the wrong side of Burngrave Road and people are in for a massive detour.

Edited by dvp82

The road will be closed so if you are in a car then you will have no choice other than to go around. There will be lots of crossing points so on foot you will be able to access bus stops still or on a bike wont be a problem.

Supertram will be operating revised routes and timetables on the day, Sunday 6th July:

Yellow route* - Middlewood to Meadowhall - every 8 minutes

Blue route* - Halfway to Meadowhall - every 16 minutes

Purple route* - Herdings Park to Malin Bridge - every 30 minutes

Between Cathedral and Meadowhall the Yellow and Blue routes will combine to offer a high frequency service. If needed some additional Cathedral-Don Valley shuttles may also operate.

* as some of the routes are different to normal they may yet be renamed

Supertram will directly serve the fan zones at Don Valley Bowl and Meadowhall. Bus links will operate from Middlewood tram terminus to Oughtibridge and from Malin Bridge tram terminus to Bradfield.

Park & Ride car parks are located at Middlewood, Malin Bridge, Nunnery Square and Halfway.

A special tram only day ticket will be available for TDF day priced at £3 for adults and £1.50 for children and commemorative tram tickets at these prices will be available to buy in advance. Additionally there is a family tram ticket available to buy online in advance (normal Stagecoach ticket stock though).

Supertram will be putting all the information on their website (http://www.supertram.com) once the full details are confirmed.

Northern Rail will be operating additional trains between Sheffield and Barnsley via Meadowhall calling all stations. Details will be available at http://www.northernrail.org.

Full public transport information including buses will be posted by SYPTE at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com again once all details confirmed.

Edited by Andy C

They were saying on Radio Sheffield this morning how poorly Sheffield are promoting this.

According to the guy they were chatting with, he said this event is being heavily promoted in Leeds and right across the region where the Tour travels, apart from Sheffield where the publicity seems to tail off. Even Penistone has adverts all over the town and a Tour de France information desk.

Is Sheffield in danger of missing out financially due to lack of publicity?

Regards

Doom