2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

They're also working on the bridge as well.

Isnt is amazing how fast they can work to resurface roads when there is an event coming that will get worldwide TV coverage. Usually you are lucky if the council repair a pothole inside a year.

Friend emailed me this
Some riders from the Giant-Shimano Team having a ride up Jenkin Road yesterday.

and here's what they had to say afterwards

'All six Giant-Shimano riders admitted to being surprised by the difficulty of stage two through the Pennine Hills into Sheffield. "I think I'll wish Chris Froome a lot of good luck for the GC fight that morning," said Kittel, laughing as he did so. "We did 100km today and clocked up 1,600 metres of climbing. If you double that [across the whole stage], then that’s a lot of altitude gained, as much perhaps as in some of the Alpine stages."

When asked about that day's final climb of Jenkin Road, which has a pitch at 33 per cent, Koen de Kort said: "I was considering walking it. It's tough – very steep and pretty long as well. I couldn't believe how it kept going. If the race is not completely broken to pieces before it, then it's certainly going to happen on there. I don't think there will be a very big group at the finish after that."

"I think it's harder than Amstel Gold," he said in response to a question comparing the Dutch Classic with the Sheffield stage. "I think it's even harder than Liège," quipped Degenkolb.

Kittel confessed he had been impressed by the reception he and his team-mates had received while doing their recon. "Everyone has been very polite, even when we've blocked the roads," he said. "When you look around there are banners everywhere, bicycles hanging on walls. I think that's really cool and that in July we'll have a really big cycling party here."'

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-kittel-and-giant-shimano-on-tour-de-france-reconnaissance-in-yorkshire

Are Giant-Shimano one of the leading teams? Certainly interesting to hear feedback from some of those who will be involved on the day.

I wonder if many of the other teams would be doing the same kind of pre-event recce, seems common sense for serious competitors (especially on completely new stages like the Yorkshire ones).

Are Giant-Shimano one of the leading teams? Certainly interesting to hear feedback from some of those who will be involved on the day.

I wonder if many of the other teams would be doing the same kind of pre-event recce, seems common sense for serious competitors (especially on completely new stages like the Yorkshire ones).

Giant-Shimano are a UCI Pro Tour Team and Marcel Kittel who took part in the ride the other day did win 4 stages of last years race. Not one of the big leading more famous teams in the sense you wouldn't call them a Chelsea or a Liverpool.

I suspect after the comments from the team about the sheffield stage a few more teams may well head over for a bit of a reccy of the route.

Giant-Shimano are a UCI Pro Tour Team and Marcel Kittel who took part in the ride the other day did win 4 stages of last years race. Not one of the big leading more famous teams in the sense you wouldn't call them a Chelsea or a Liverpool.

I suspect after the comments from the team about the sheffield stage a few more teams may well head over for a bit of a reccy of the route.

I think you may be right in assuming other teams might start to reccy the route, as soon as they get a whiff of a 'race-breaker' they'll be on it, Yorkshire's definitely not going to be an easy warm-up, I'm looking forward it!

and here's what they had to say afterwards

'All six Giant-Shimano riders admitted to being surprised by the difficulty of stage two through the Pennine Hills into Sheffield. "I think I'll wish Chris Froome a lot of good luck for the GC fight that morning," said Kittel, laughing as he did so. "We did 100km today and clocked up 1,600 metres of climbing. If you double that [across the whole stage], then that’s a lot of altitude gained, as much perhaps as in some of the Alpine stages."

When asked about that day's final climb of Jenkin Road, which has a pitch at 33 per cent, Koen de Kort said: "I was considering walking it. It's tough – very steep and pretty long as well. I couldn't believe how it kept going. If the race is not completely broken to pieces before it, then it's certainly going to happen on there. I don't think there will be a very big group at the finish after that."

"I think it's harder than Amstel Gold," he said in response to a question comparing the Dutch Classic with the Sheffield stage. "I think it's even harder than Liège," quipped Degenkolb.

Kittel confessed he had been impressed by the reception he and his team-mates had received while doing their recon. "Everyone has been very polite, even when we've blocked the roads," he said. "When you look around there are banners everywhere, bicycles hanging on walls. I think that's really cool and that in July we'll have a really big cycling party here."'

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-kittel-and-giant-shimano-on-tour-de-france-reconnaissance-in-yorkshire

I know absolutely nothing about cycling. (In fact have had no interest in this race up till now.)

Are these comments good?

Complimentary or complaining?

Anyway, nice to know they got a warm welcome.

But you can drive round the racing circuits at Monaco, Spa and Le Mans, and if you insisted on cycling the TdF route you probably wouldn't survive.

You don't have to race! you can go slow and "enjoy" it.:)

---------- Post added 25-04-2014 at 08:12 ----------

I'm sorry I don't know.

Here's the two hills from the riders perspectives. It's safe to say Cavendish won't be winning this stage.

-

Wow! one handed cycling AND passing other riders too! Impressive! Thanks for those videos.

I'm sorry I don't know.

Here's the two hills from the riders perspectives. It's safe to say Cavendish won't be winning this stage.

-

I've probably driven up Jenkin Road in the past, but I never realised it was so steep. I'm sure that will be a test even for the top cyclists in the world, if it was me I'd be off and pushing my bike up that hill. :blush:

Thanks for posting the videos, it gives a real perspective of what it's going to be like for the TdF cyclists during the race, let's hope the weather is kind to them and the spectators on the day.

Regards

Doom

It's worth remembering that Kittel and Degenkolb are both sprinters, not climbers. Like Cav, they're powerhouses for a fast burst, often in a bunch sprint. Sprinters are notoriously (but not always) poor climbers.

Some of the top climbers such as Alberto Contador, Chris Froome, Richie Porte and Vicenzo Nibali will be quicker up Jenkin.

Plus, normal team strength on a Grand Tour is 9 riders, not 6. How fast they go up half the time depends on where everyone else rivalry-wise is. If there is a sucessful breakaway with no real GC contenders, the peloton will probably be content to let them go, unless one of the sprinters' teams, maybe Omega Pharma Quickstep fancy trying to reel them in for a bunch sprint. But that would be tough with just 5K to the finish...

To add a bit...

It's worth remembering that Cav sucessfully climbed the Cipressa and the Poggio, both wicked hills, to finish 5th in a bunch sprint on this years Milan-San Remo, which is the world's longest single day race. (About 170 miles I think...)

Edited by perplexed

For those that follow the tdf closely, were the Giant-Shimano riders being polite with their comments (e.g. at how steep Jenkin Hill is), or are the climbs comparable to some of those on the traditional route? It would be good to think they are actually facing a real test around Sheffield, rather than just a standard sprint they could probably do anywhere.

For those that follow the tdf closely, were the Giant-Shimano riders being polite with their comments (e.g. at how steep Jenkin Hill is), or are the climbs comparable to some of those on the traditional route? It would be good to think they are actually facing a real test around Sheffield, rather than just a standard sprint they could probably do anywhere.

They're giving it due respect, but in terms of overall contention for the win of the Tour, the winner is likely to come from elsewhere.

It's not so much how steep the climb are, though that is important, it's how fast you go up 'em, to destroy the opposition.

Many tactics will come into play.

Jenkin is tough, but short, like some of the climbs in the Spring Classics. (Ghent-Wevelgem, Paris-Roubaix etc). The Alpine climbs tend to be long and draggy, with steep bits, Pyranees can be very steep. Some of the French climbs go on for miles...)

It will break the race up early - (which I think is what Chris Froome has said). Which means teams will need to alter their tactics. Traditionally the early stages are to get around different parts of France. The first weekend (after 7 days) is when the race usually gets into the mountains and gets going properly.

It's probably unlikely to be win in sheffield - but it's possible to lose it as they say.