2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Don Valley seems to be becoming the new city centre. The major retailers have all moved out to Meadowhall. The major entertainments area is now at the stadium and ents park. Now the tdf is stopping there rather than risking the "city". Just wait till HS2 puts Sheffield's main rail station there and the transformation will be complete.

It isnt risking the "city" as there isnt enough space to fit all the support vehicles etc there. No other reason. This has been mentioned numerous times.

It isnt risking the "city" as there isnt enough space to fit all the support vehicles etc there. No other reason. This has been mentioned numerous times.

Perhaps if they allowed folks to park on single yellow lines as we could up till a year ago there would be.

As it is we are not showcasing Sheffield, we are showcasing the derelict east end. I wonder if the visitors will be able to catch a last glimpse of Don Valley Stadium before the heaps are take away land fill and the good bits go to Leeds.

Edited by Anna Glypta

Town seems to be fighting the betting shops off pretty well these days. Try going down there and spending a few quid:rolleyes:

Why would anyone want to do that when Meadowhall offers everything visitors could want . ?

Perhaps if they allowed folks to park on single yellow lines as we could up till a year ago there would be.

No. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You clearly have no idea of the number and type of vehicles involved.

No. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You clearly have no idea of the number and type of vehicles involved.

I clearly have more idea than self appointed experts like you. But do tell us all exactly what YOU THINK we are up against.

---------- Post added 26-03-2014 at 10:29 ----------

Town seems to be fighting the betting shops off pretty well these days. Try going down there and spending a few quid:rolleyes:

If they knocked down half a dozen around Fitzalan Square they would barely be enough left in that area for the dossers who hang around them, and some might have to move to other areas of the city centre to find the brand they prefer.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/stop-betting-shop-invasion-on-sheffield-city-centre-campaigners-1-6079562

Sheffield city centre is in danger of being overrun with betting shops, campaigners have warned.

Central MP Paul Blomfield, businesses and Sheffield City Centre Residents Action Group are fighting plans for a new bookmakers in the heart of the city’s shopping scene.

Plans for a change of use to allow the former home of Sly clothing store on Division Street to become a William Hill shop have been submitted to Sheffield Council.

Pressure groups, including community interest company the Common People, say the council has received applications for bookmakers at a rate of one every four weeks in recent months.

Edited by Anna Glypta

The number of buses, back-up cars, media will be massive, not to mention the spectators. However, with careful planning, you can virtually hold a stage finish anywhere. Take a look at the many DVD's of the stage finishes in France, these small towns cope quite well. Sheffield has many car-parks and a good public transport system, good organization and planning will solve all the access problems. Millsie

The number of buses, back-up cars, media will be massive, not to mention the spectators. However, with careful planning, you can virtually hold a stage finish anywhere. Take a look at the many DVD's of the stage finishes in France, these small towns cope quite well. Sheffield has many car-parks and a good public transport system, good organization and planning will solve all the access problems. Millsie

They certainly could. If you saw the infrastructure that follows the Grand Prix racing circus around it dwarfs anything that might follow a cycle event. Yet Monaco manages quite well to accommodate them, the TV crews, the local population and 200,000 visitors into a principality the size of a Sheffield housing estate. It does so for an entire weekend, not just a few hours.

Indeed, however much easier to hold it where it has been planned rather than in the city centre, would you agree with that?

Single yellow parking restrictions are a ridiculous thing to bring into this discussion.

Huddersfield, Holmfirth get huge TV screens in city centre for fans to follow tour.

Agree with you guys totally. I'm sure that you would have a better idea than me re best finishing location as I am only an occasional visitor to Sheffield these day, even though I spent my first 22 years there. It would indeed be easier to hold it as planned, I would just like Sheffield to be able to maximise the financial and tourism benefits. And, above all, it will be a great day and I hope that everyone gets behind the Race. I am coming from Australia for a holiday, but my timing is based around the first 2 Stages, as indeed will many thousands of T de F enthusiasts so I hope to see a lot of Yorkshire smiles. Always wanted to see the start of the Tour and now I can cross it off my 'Bucket List'!

See you there, Millsie

Indeed, however much easier to hold it where it has been planned rather than in the city centre, would you agree with that?

Single yellow parking restrictions are a ridiculous thing to bring into this discussion.

That's hardly the point is it. It would bring more prestige and exposure to Sheffield if it finished in the city centre rather than some run down suburb on the outskirts.

The reason that it was not planned that way is because Sheffield through its own actions made it an unsuitable place through the council's hatred of motorists.

So instead of spending £900,000 to highlight Sheffield and bring visitors to the city centre, we are spending £900,000 to show the world what a dump the east end of the city has become. I'm sure the world media will send out footage of the heaps of rubble that were the Don Valley Stadium and tell the world that The Rolling Stones used to play here before the place went down the tubes.

I found a cheap wasteland car parking just off Division Street. Was good enough for me on a Saturday to visit the city. I'd rather pay that suffer indoor mall hell.