2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

Looks like Yorkshire will be getting some cash to help with the running of the race.

On Look Leeds last night, when pushed, Julian Smith admitted that Yorkshire not will, but may, get the cash as the Government had agreed to revisit the business plan and discuss possible amendments.

On the other hand, that sounds like a bit of a face-saver for a U-turn.

Missed this thread. Really can't wait for this. Think I'll cycle up to York for day 1. Can't decide whether to head to Holmfirth for day 2 or join the crowds here to watch the finish. If I'm going to stand half way along the course somewhere its definitely going to be on a hill. Otherwise the entire peloton is just going to wiz past you in 5 seconds.

I wonder if the others criticising cycling coming to Yorkshire due to drugs would have the same opinion about us hosting teams like Spain coming to play the next football world cup here.

Unfortunately the Spanish politicians have ruled that we should never find out that their team Won the last world cup using drugs.

I wonder if Wednesday can get hold of a few of those sweeties before the Barnsley match.

Jaw Bone Hill and Jenkin Road are killers to cycle up. Cycling in Sheffield is popular and at least some of our famously pot-holed roads will get repaired. So its not all bad?

I understand the route does take in Jaw Bone Hill and Jenkin Rd as well as other hills at Bradway/Loxley Valley. But, I can't find the route or where the finish is?

I understand the route does take in Jaw Bone Hill and Jenkin Rd as well as other hills at Bradway/Loxley Valley. But, I can't find the route or where the finish is?

The finish will be outside the pile of rubble that used to be Don Valley Stadium I think... oh ok it's going to be outside the Institute Of Sport.

This website lists the hills they'll have to go up on the route.

http://blog.veloviewer.com/the-climbs-of-stage-2-of-the-2014-tour-de-france-part-2/

Whilst the route into Sheffield has been highly publicized, the final announcement on the exact route will be made on 23rd October 2013.

You can follow the link below to discover what the "current thinking" of the two Yorkshire stages is:-

http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route

Well the worlds biggest bike race is pactically passing my house up Herries Rd I was tempted to watch it locally but fear the scrotes around here will try and embarrass the race so I will go to Holme Moss and watch it with proper cycling enthusiasts

---------- Post added 23-09-2013 at 21:16 ----------

Of course the route will be resurfaced. Imagine hitting some of the huge potholes in this city at speed on a racing bike.

I do and have :mad:

The finish will be outside the pile of rubble that used to be Don Valley Stadium I think... oh ok it's going to be outside the Institute Of sport

I know I may get stick for this but I think it's ridiculous we're about spend more on a 1 day event then it would taken to keep the DVS open for another 12 to 18 months. I still can't believe there wasn't a way to keep it open.

There are a couple of stories on this in The Star today:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/tour-de-france-fans-to-line-sheffield-race-route-1-6127453

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/tour-de-france-boom-for-sheffield-economy-1-6126502

It looks like the route is being changed to avoid the NGH and is now going down towards Kelham Island.

Regards

Doom

The finish will be outside the pile of rubble that used to be Don Valley Stadium I think... oh ok it's going to be outside the Institute Of sport

I know I may get stick for this but I think it's ridiculous we're about spend more on a 1 day event then it would taken to keep the DVS open for another 12 to 18 months. I still can't believe there wasn't a way to keep it open.

While it is sad the DVS is been closed, the cash that will come into the city by having the TDF finish in Sheffield will out strip whatever the city has spent to bring it to Sheffield. And most likely is way more than whatever the DVS could generate for the city.