Beware, sheet ice: Dangerous roads and footpaths (Fri 14 Dec)

High Rise at Stannington Road Bus Jack knived blocking Road

Edited by beachec

Blimey it sounds pretty bad.

A barmy 5 degrees when I woke up in Linciln****e at 5:30am this morning. The newspaper I had placed on my windscreen to stop it icing over was soaked!

Managed to walk the dog in Firth Park this morning; but took twice as ling to get there and back. Got an email to say Notre Dame still open so skated with son to bus stop. Now on my way to work in Chesterfield. My boss isn't as inderstanding as some! Lucky me.

Pavement is a sheet of ice! I've come back inside and put the kettle on

Will try again in an hour (handsworth)

The Met Office website for Yorkshire and Humber says; "Road surface temperatures may be below freezing as patchy rain, sleet and snow move north across the area. The public are advised to be aware of the risk of ice, especially on untreated surfaces". Nothing about not going out. How are people going to get to hospital if they don't go out? We can't all not go to work, shopping, etc, just because of a bit of ice.

We haven't even had any snow and people are talking as if it's the North Pole out there. A couple of degrees below and normal human life has to come to an end. Some people should get some perspective and not act as if a bit of ice means we have to live like eskimos.

Have you been out yet?

It's very deceptive, it looks like everything has thawed and just damp, but I've seen two people fall on their backsides this morning, one of the lads at work has injured himself on cobbles, cars are sliding everywhere and when I put the handbrake on after arriving at work, the van slid back down the hill!

Be really careful just stepping out, our door step is lethal; this is like the ice freeze we had two/three years ago, it is lethal. I crashed that day, so be careful. I advise people to wait a little until things warm up.

My OH slipped on ours very early this morning, he went out to look for the cat but thought the steps were just wet. His arm took the worst of it, lucky it wasn't his head.

Apparently it's the bradfield school bus that's jacknifed at stannington.

Don't know if it's the same incident but there's also a bus hit a car down near rivelin on stannington rd according to travel news.

Police are telling everyone to stay in unless absolutely necessary

hi does anyone know what the motorways are like?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I've been on M1 and M18 okay been gritted locally - rumours that M1/M62 junction closed . 17 accidents reports across Yorkshire on M1 and A1

We live at the top of a hill and been watching the kids trying to get to comp...They cant even stand up! Feel so sorry for them. Got to head myself in a bit to take my youngest to school and then get the bus to work, should be fun! Lets hope that sun comes up soon and melts the stuff!

Done mine, but what fecked me off was the fact other people saw me doing it but then just jumped in their cars and drove off wheel spinning rather than giving me a hand!!! Reminded me of the bad snow a few years back when the same happened and people even beeped at me to move as I was shovelling!!!

Still suppose I can shine my halo now and have my good deed for the day...

My OH slipped on ours very early this morning, he went out to look for the cat but thought the steps were just wet. His arm took the worst of it, lucky it wasn't his head.

Hope he's ok :(

There's a seperate thread with School information here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096202 - if you've heard that your kids school is closed/opening later than usual please update that thread so other members know.

Streets Ahead have just tweeted to say their gritters are out currently. They've asked people to avoid Barnsley Road but not said why.

Travel South Yorkshire are updating this page with disruption to bus services: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disruptions.aspx?id=4598