Beware, sheet ice: Dangerous roads and footpaths (Fri 14 Dec)

I've skated to my car, turned the engine on to clear my windscreen, then gone back into the house.

It's deadly out there and I see little point in trying to get to work when I'm more likely to have an accident and put myself out of action for weeks.

I'm going to leave it an hour or two to let things warm up. Temperature on my car rose from -1 to 0 whilst I was clearing the windscreen, so hopefully things will start to thaw when the sun gets up.

Last night when I went for a run at 6pm temp on my car was -3. Definitely the coldest it's been this year when I've been out running, so I can't say I'm surprised the roads have frozen.

Regards

Doom

Same here in Rotherham, my husband went out with the dog and had to turn back....looks like todays plans are shelved and it'll be a day by the fire instead. A&E are gonna be in for a busy day. Hope everyone takes care, xmas in a pot wouldn't be much fun.

Please be very, very careful if you have to go out. The police are reporting an increase in calls since 3am due to accidents in the ice. If you can, stay indoors until the sun comes up. As Mecky says the hospitals and emergency services are going to have a busy morning.

Tried sending little brother to school, way too icy to send him there se we have had to tell him to come back, for his own safety as well

Be very careful outside this morning peeps, it's very very icy. Looks like the hospitals are going to get plenty of business today.

EDIT

Met Office advise people not to travel or even go outside

The Met Office website for Yorkshire and Humber says; "Road surface temperatures may be below freezing as patchy rain, sleet and snow move north across the area. The public are advised to be aware of the risk of ice, especially on untreated surfaces". Nothing about not going out. How are people going to get to hospital if they don't go out? We can't all not go to work, shopping, etc, just because of a bit of ice.

We haven't even had any snow and people are talking as if it's the North Pole out there. A couple of degrees below and normal human life has to come to an end. Some people should get some perspective and not act as if a bit of ice means we have to live like eskimos.

If you're on Twitter, follow TravelSYorks - they're tweeting public transport disruption. Lots of alterations which shows how bad conditions are.

Roads and pavements are terrible in Crookes. Can't even get down the road to see if 52 is running. Nothing on internet as usual. No school and no work methinks. It will be the first time I have had to give up on work for the weather - hope gritters get up here!

Be very careful outside this morning peeps, it's very very icy. Looks like the hospitals are going to get plenty of business today.

EDIT

Met Office advise people not to travel or even go outside

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 07:22 ----------

Mods please close. Topic in Sheffield Discussions

I wish I had read this before taking my bin out, my drive is a sheet of ice, I thought it was just wet and hey presto on my arse I went. :mad:

Edited by maxmaximus

Forget it. I made it up heavygate road, only to slip at the top and come back down it on my arse. There was an RTC at the top where someone came down aldred road and smashed into a parked car. Seriously. Stay inside until it gets light.

I had a slide to the main road to see what it was like, then couldn't get back...

Ended up taking my shoes off and walking back in my socks !!

Staying at home now.

I had a slide to the main road to see what it was like, then couldn't get back...

Ended up taking my shoes off and walking back in my socks !!

Staying at home now.

I did that too.. My feet are like lumps of ice.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 07:47 ----------

Siberian weather? It was only a few degrees below here last night. Current Siberian conditions are a high of minus 9 and low of minus 26. For next Thursday Siberia will have a high of minus 35 and a low of minus 53. Now that's stay at home weather. I'm sure Scandanavians, central and east Europeans wouldn't be moaning about a bit of ice.

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/forecast/russia/Dzalinda-Siberia/Dzalinda-Siberia.php

I assume you posted this from the comfort of your warm house. It's not a 'bit of ice' and i'm the first person to pull people up for moaning about snow.. it's literally like an ice rink out there, you can't grab a wall to stop yourself falling, because the wall is covered in a layer of ice too.

People are crawling on their hands and knees across the pavements .My hubby managed to get to the shop but i think the frozen rain has made it worse since he left at 6am. Take care people.