Beware, sheet ice: Dangerous roads and footpaths (Fri 14 Dec)

Mmmm.. Dilemma ??? Wonder whether the main locksley road from malin bridge would be better just after lunch .. Weather getting wetter and a bit warmer !!thanks

Well the posing twerp next door has gone down like a sack of potatos. HA HA :hihi::hihi:

I would honestly try not to travel if I were you. Zero chance of anywhere up there being gritted sufficiently.

From what I've seen the roads are ok but the pavements will be treacherous. Due to warm up this afternoon though.

They are usually among the best girtted roads around, because the contracts for gritting them are given to local farmers. I've never had a problem driving up to High Bradfield in the snow.

After seeing one of our cats go over this morning, all four legs in the air, I swapped my bike tyres for ice tyres which I bought a couple of years ago. 240 tungsten carbide studs allowed me to cycle in no problem, depite there being black ice continuously all the way to Chesterfield Road.

I think any decent-minded employer will excuse staff not getting in or being late. Safety has to come first.

Edited by Yog Sothoth

I helped a man this morning who'd fallen and broken his ankle. The ambulance was called at 7.40 and he's still lying in the road due to the service being so stretched.

He's got blankets and a pillow but he's in agony and getting angrier by the minute. Unfortunately he's 40 not in acute danger unlike the elderly in a similar position.

I'm confused. He's laying in the street in subzero temperatures with a broken limb, and somebody fetched bedding but didn't take him inside? :|

I'm confused. He's laying in the street in subzero temperatures with a broken limb, and somebody fetched bedding but didn't take him inside? :|

The advice from the ambulance service is not to move people, if there is a competant first aider there and they consider that there is a risk to him been in the cold they may decide to move him IF the circumstances allow this , taking into consideration :

• weather

• distance from shelter

• Type of terain

• nature of injury

• amount of help available and type of help available

One possible option depending on circumastances could be to get him on a chair off the floor , however, it is very easy to make a desisison in a warm room its differant story when you are out there in the cold !

They are usually among the best girtted roads around, because the contracts for gritting them are given to local farmers. I've never had a problem driving up to High Bradfield in the snow.

Don't speak too soon, apparently many of the farmers contracts have been withdrawn. Lodge Moor and Lodge Moor had the clearest side roads in the city after the farmers were contracted. None of the side roads are being cleared so far this year.

Oh my god the poor man. More than two hours!

I'm too scared to walk the dog after reading this thread. She pulls on the lead and I can't get her to a park without negotiating various Walkley/Crookes hills.

A police van has just picked him up. 3 hours 20 spent lying in the road.

Well the posing twerp next door has gone down like a sack of potatos. HA HA :hihi::hihi:

The other year, I took great pleasure in watching the gobby bloke across the road having a fag whilst the huge slab of snow was slipping from his roof, it got him right on his head :hihi:

That was the advice given by the emergency services, not to try to move him. Of course if you know better :rolleyes:

Eeee after reading all these posts I think I shall spend another day indoors :D I have the best excuse, its much too cold for a new baby (hubby doesn't agree, thinks she needs fresh air :gag: )

It's raining in Crookes now, ice should be gone soon.