Beware, sheet ice: Dangerous roads and footpaths (Fri 14 Dec)

I laughed at one caller who said he had spoken to someone in the gritting department who told him that they had gritted during the night but that the rain had washed a lot of it away. His comment? "It's not good enough". :rolleyes:

He's probably out there now, shaking his fist at the sky.

How can a bus jack knife?!

Cud be a bendy bus , I assume they mean its slid sides way

Cud be a bendy bus , I assume they mean its slid sides way

Well yes, obviously if it's a bendy bus but I didn't think we had them any more! I reckon it's just gone sideways too.

I helped a man this morning who'd fallen and broken his ankle. The ambulance was called at 7.40 and he's still lying in the road due to the service being so stretched.

He's got blankets and a pillow but he's in agony and getting angrier by the minute. Unfortunately he's 40 not in acute danger unlike the elderly in a similar position.

Oh my god the poor man. More than two hours!

I'm too scared to walk the dog after reading this thread. She pulls on the lead and I can't get her to a park without negotiating various Walkley/Crookes hills.

Stannington roads are really bad but what I can't understand is how come Rails Road which joins up with Rivelin Valley Rd is more or less ok and that runs through open countryside so a lot more remote!!

Because the local farmers look after that road. IThey do a great job, that road is always passable

A friend on Facebook who may have broken her wrist says that there is a queue of 30 people waiting in A&E.

Radio Sheffield has reported A&E already has people coming in with broken bones.

Plenty of emergency services vans going up City Road. 120 buses seem to be running fine. Still staying in bed though.

I need to get up to the old horns at bradfield ... Can anyone till me what the roads are like coming from Hillsboro bottom ??

I need to get up to the old horns at bradfield ... Can anyone till me what the roads are like coming from Hillsboro bottom ??

I would honestly try not to travel if I were you. Zero chance of anywhere up there being gritted sufficiently.

From what I've seen the roads are ok but the pavements will be treacherous. Due to warm up this afternoon though.

No problem now I've just been to Hillsbro and back, from Chapeltown, roads all seem clear now.

Travel SY states the 61/62 only going to Low Bradfield. Stannington buses also seem to only be going to Malin Bridge still. I'd stay home too!