What to do when employer doesn't pay sub-contractors

litb

So... The client won't pay the contractor, who in turn won't pay the subby?

Client non-payment is irrelevant. The work was done for the contractor, and it is he who owes the money. How does the subby know for deffo that the client didn't pay btw?

the client has paid the company, but company says my work wasnt good enough, but ive been bk to the clients and they sed they are over the moon

Get that in writing from the client. If the client has paid then the only reason not to pay is if your work has failed some statutory quality test and your customer has had to do remedial work, are they claiming they have had to do any remedial work?

Get that in writing from the client. If the client has paid then the only reason not to pay is if your work has failed some statutory quality test and your customer has had to do remedial work, are they claiming they have had to do any remedial work?

It sounds like the employer just wants to rip the sub contractor off under some made up reason if the people that had the work done are saying they are over the moon.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, I would write to the contractor outlining your intentions to claim the moneys owed through the county court, i would also remind them that under section 69 of the county court act 1984 you will be claiming 8% per cent year on top of the amount owed, plus cost.

That normally does the trick

Firstly, I would write to the contractor outlining your intentions to claim the moneys owed through the county court, i would also remind them that under section 69 of the county court act 1984 you will be claiming 8% per cent year on top of the amount owed, plus cost.

That normally does the trick

I agree. You need to send them a 7 day notice of action stating that if they fail to pay the invoice within 7 days you will serve notice on them through the courts. If they lose (which it sounds like they probably will), they will have to pay your costs as well.

The application is easy, but the paper work is a pain in the proverbial...but for the amount owed, it will probably be worth pursuing.

Best of luck with it.