Lack of 10th birthday coverage in Sheffield Star or Telegraph

I have an update!

@shftelegraph said: "@sheffieldforum Well that explains it... none of these people work for the Sheffield Telegraph. The contact I gave you is for our news ed."

It appears that all of the people I contacted, who are listed on the Sheffield Telegraph's own contact us page at http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/contact-us don't actually work for the Telegraph! Seems they have the wrong people listed on their own site!

I will now email the (unlisted) news ed. and have also suggested they put the correct contact us page on their site asap.

Hi Geoff, They won't feature the forum for the same reason they won't feature postcode gazette or Grapevine or Sheffield Mercury or any of the plethora of other Sheffield-flavoured websites and publications. They don't want to draw attention to other sources of local information . . . otherwise they risk losing readers, particularly traffic to their website.

Unfortunately, they also privately regard the forum users as, on the whole, nutters -- except when they can get a story out of them or when they can exploit the forum to drive traffic back to thestar.co.uk. You might want to think about the number of apparently Star-bashing threads with links back to their stories. (The more traffic, the more they can charge for their ads, and they have a LOT of traffic).

It's also worth noting that despite the thrashings The Star regularly gets on the forum, no-one (the editor, perhaps, or the website editor, or somebody equally official) ever comes on in person to defend it, unlike many other organisations who are happy to reply to criticism officially. As far as I know, the only real defender of the paper on the forum is someone who happily admits they do it unofficially and off their own bat.

Look on the bright side. You've built one of the country's most successful forums without much promotion and although it has it's moments, it's not infested with the sort of rabid loonies who post on thestar.co.uk and elsewhere.

This thread sums up why I post less these days

The forum has more than it's fair share of miserable gits :mad:

Given the role SF has played in events and lives in Sheffield over the last ten years, I'd expect a mention in the local press - especially as they use it as an information source themselves

As for the comment about a kylie concert... Who, in all seriousness, is going to pay £30-£40 to see Geoff dance in hot pants? :roll:

How many tickets would really sell?

Suggestions for a suitable venue welcome :D

Maybe the Star would send a photographer :P - I'd buy their paper for the first time in ten years if they did :hihi:

Edited by Strix

As for the comment about a kylie concert... Who, in all seriousness, is going to pay £30-£40 to see Geoff dance in hot pants? :roll:

How many tickets would really sell?

Suggestions for a suitable venue welcome :D

Maybe the Star would send a photographer :P - I'd buy their paper for the first time in ten years if they did :hihi:

NO, Geoff has promised to put on his concert for free, to give back to us.

Dates to be announced!

Surely the 'new' big news (trying to change subject from the hot pants :P ) is that Sheffield Telegraph just told me that the people listed on their own Contact Us page, who I've been emailing, don't actually work at that paper! No wonder it's hard (for anyone) to get any coverage ;)

Surely the 'new' big news (trying to change subject from the hot pants :P ) is that Sheffield Telegraph just told me that the people listed on their own Contact Us page, who I've been emailing, don't work at the paper!

No Geoff, that's boring, the "new news" is that all the mods are going to be your backing dancers. They owe us too, big time.

Not a bad gig :hihi: 2mins a mod, and now media "fame":|

It's took me 40 years to become 'famous' :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 13:49 ----------

Owd on a minute, people are always moaning Sheffield lags behind other cities and under sells itself, here we have one of the UK's most successful forums and you think we shouldn't promote that. ?

Damned if you do damned if you don't then. :huh:

Good point (Where's the 'like' button) :thumbsup:

NO, Geoff has promised to put on his concert for free, to give back to us.

Dates to be announced!

Is this the point where I volunteer again? :suspect::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Is this the point where I volunteer again? :suspect::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Look at Pete, he's actually up for it, raring to go. That's the can do attitude we members want to see from our mods. That's right, OUR mods, you serve us, our clicks pay your non existent wages... THINK ON!

That said, well done Pete for being the first. Hopefully the other mods will take note and put themselves forward too.

Look at Pete, he's actually up for it, raring to go. That's the can do attitude we members want to see from our mods. That's right, OUR mods, you serve us, our clicks pay your non existent wages... THINK ON!

That said, well done Pete for being the first. Hopefully the other mods will take note and put themselves forward too.

Why would I want wages for doing something that I enjoy? Yes I do have a 'can do' attitude. Better than a negative one, by light years I would have said! ;)

Due to a dodgy knee i am unable to dance.

My singing has been likened to somebody learning to play the bagpipes while chainsawing a donkey in half so I will be more than happy to oblige on the singing side....

earplugs anybody?

Why would I want wages for doing something that I enjoy? Yes I do have a 'can do' attitude. Better than a negative one, by light years I would have said! ;)

You see, that's why you're a mod, put me right in my place! Hooray for Sheffield Forum and it's wonderful moderator team, without who, there would be no forum.