Has restricted painkiller sales lowered suicide rates?

What exactly is wrong with Asprin?

12 a day is abit much tho, run the risk of a stomach ulcer.

Paracetamol overdose is a horrible way to die, it's not immediate like people think.

It takes several days to die, in the most excruciating pain.

you just said whats wrong with it :hihi:

paracetamol has virtually no side effects and is very safe when taken correctly, as in, no more than 8 in 24 hours

i really thin the op needs to speak to their GP, anyone needing to take constant pain medication should discuss it with their GP

it has no effect as you can buy pain killers over multiple purchases at the same shop. happened to me the other day when I was buying some cold remedies that all contain paracetamol.

then if a retailer refuses to sell you enough to top yourself, you just walk down the road to the next shop and buy more from there.

I think this rule applies only to over the counter meds, and not prescribed meds.

If your Doctor (be it your GP or a hospital doctor/ consultant) prescribes you the paracetamol/ co codamol/ aspirin/ ibuprofen, s/he can prescribe you a months supply at a time.

The solution would be to get them prescribed, if you want more than the packs of 16 available currently.

Yes, but wouldn't that be much more expensive? A prescription currently costs £7.65

Sainsbury sell 16 aspirin for 21p. Work it out.

I've never had a problem buying two packs of painkillers at a time. They ask why and I just say I'm going away for a month (I work overseas) or I'm buying some for my wife as well (also true sometimes).

Edited by Nagel

Yes is the answer. The restriction on over-the-counter purchases of potentially lethal painkillers has reduced the suicide rate.

People in high states of anxiety (for example following the traumatic break-up of a relationship) or who are suddenly depressed (for example by consuming alcohol) can be prone to making irrational decisions, including making a genuine suicide attempt on the spur of the moment. They can also be prone to making a mock suicide attempt, in order to draw attention to themselves and their despair - but fatally miscalculate the doesage.

There is now clear evidence that the restriction of over-the-counter sales of various painkillers has reduced the suicide rates. A similar result occurred when North Sea gas replaced gas made from coke. Sticking your head in the oven and turning on the gas was at one point the most popular route to commit suicide. In 1963, suicides by gas totalled 2,368, dropping to only 11 by 1978.

I don't have any current figures to hand but do recall reading a learned paper a few years ago which confirmed that suicide by overdose had now reduced.

Yes, but wouldn't that be much more expensive? A prescription currently costs £7.65

Sainsbury sell 16 aspirin for 21p. Work it out.

I've never had a problem buying two packs of painkillers at a time. They ask why and I just say I'm going away for a month (I work overseas) or I'm buying some for my wife as well (also true sometimes).

thats because you are allowed to buy 32 at a time ;)

Yes is the answer. The restriction on over-the-counter purchases of potentially lethal painkillers has reduced the suicide rate.

People in high states of anxiety (for example following the traumatic break-up of a relationship) or who are suddenly depressed (for example by consuming alcohol) can be prone to making irrational decisions, including making a genuine suicide attempt on the spur of the moment. They can also be prone to making a mock suicide attempt, in order to draw attention to themselves and their despair - but fatally miscalculate the doesage.

There is now clear evidence that the restriction of over-the-counter sales of various painkillers has reduced the suicide rates. A similar result occurred when North Sea gas replaced gas made from coke. Sticking your head in the oven and turning on the gas was at one point the most popular route to commit suicide. In 1963, suicides by gas totalled 2,368, dropping to only 11 by 1978.

I don't have any current figures to hand but do recall reading a learned paper a few years ago which confirmed that suicide by overdose had now reduced.

yes, I agree that its a good move, i wonder how many people commit suicide that is planned out rather than just a sudden thought. bet its very high.

I dont think changing from coal gas to north sea gas was done to reduce the suicide rate, but just a cheaper way to provide gas. For those that dont know, coal gas, town gas etc contained a large proportion of carbon monoxide, about 60% wheras north sea gas has no carbon monoxide in it.

it has no effect as you can buy pain killers over multiple purchases at the same shop. happened to me the other day when I was buying some cold remedies that all contain paracetamol.

then if a retailer refuses to sell you enough to top yourself, you just walk down the road to the next shop and buy more from there.

It is a common myth that someone with suicidal intentions will go from shop to shop in order to puchase enough quantities of lethal drugs in order to kill themselves. They don't.

Suicide by overdose is often a spur of the moment decision caused by some emotional state of the mind, be it anxiety or depression. This is not to discount that some suicides are pre-planned, well-thought out and executed (including severing an artery, hanging and jumping, i.e., jumping off a bridge or similar high point or jumping in front of a bus, train or lorry).

You can by more than two packets at a chemist, if a pharmacist is on duty. I am sure.

Mind you - two packets is enough for most folk.

Not a statistic, but I would imagine if you were determined enough to do it, youd just go to enough chemists till you had enough :(

That is true and I know of a personal case where they did that.

If you are on a mission to do yourself in then you will find a way. :(

Working in a pharmacy i believe restricted sales is a must. Tablets are generally sold in quantities to treat 3 days,if you require anymore than that you need to see a doctor. Most pharmacys will sell the required quantity if it is cheaper over the counter if presented with a prescription.

Not everyone that wants to buy large quantities wants to OD themselves some are genuine however they should have a prescription to show for it, others just want to abuse products so a blanket ban just makes their life harder.

Working in a pharmacy i believe restricted sales is a must. Tablets are generally sold in quantities to treat 3 days,if you require anymore than that you need to see a doctor. Most pharmacys will sell the required quantity if it is cheaper over the counter if presented with a prescription.

Not everyone that wants to buy large quantities wants to OD themselves some are genuine however they should have a prescription to show for it, others just want to abuse products so a blanket ban just makes their life harder.

i have been sent to the pharmacy with notes from the dr before :D

I know what you mean. It is easy to end up with bags full of high level pain killers. Sometimes I literally end up with carrier bags full. It seems ridiculous. We have occasionally taken them to a pharmacist to dispose of them, but the pharmacists are ****** off at taking them and once, they reported it to the GP, who was angry they had been taken to the pharmacist. It's a minefield. Next time I'll put them in the bin, or leave them in the cupboard, responsible disposal of medication gets you nowhere, other than in trouble. Sod that for a game of soldiers. Mine are going in the water system. I was actually very ****** off to be told off by both the pharmacist for taking them to be disposed of and that it was reported to the GP and I was told off by the GP. We have tried a few pharmacists for this. The wastage happens when medications are changed.

well, for some problems that I have had is that the GP gives me prescriptions for things to try, and when they dont, i get something else, apart from the huge cost to me, I end up with masses of medication that I cant take. a bit back, i sorted through it all and took a variety of stuff that I either didnt need, or was allergic to. the pharmacist took it all off me, asked me what I was allergic to and made a note on my records.

Thats one thing that people dont usually realise about pharmacists, they know far more about drugs than your GP and they check what you have been given and that it is suitable

I would be extremely upset if a dr ever told me off for something I had done, its hard enough getting men to go to the GP so saying things that might put them off is not good.

oh, and i have a cupboard full of pain medication that I hope not to need again, and when Im sure, it will all be going to the pharmacy