Daily Mail; Generation rent has no stake in society!

A generation of young people is being frozen out of the housing market and failing to put down roots, a report has found.

It said soaring numbers of young workers are being forced to rent, giving them little stake in their neighbourhood and a reduced sense of community spirit.

Their inability to get a foot on the housing ladder also means putting their career ambitions and family plans on hold

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246106/Generation-Rent-stake-community-housing-market-means-frozen-out.html#ixzz2EmWizSdN

An entire generation is being denied a stake in society. This unfortunate generation whom must shoulder the care burden of the boomers, and inherit the national debt has very little access to housing. And worse still, even if they access housing, they lack 'security of tenure'.

They do not have a house to call a home, they do not know if they will be living in the same place for a long time, they do not 'belong'.

Why would one invest his time and efforts into improving his community if he has no guarantee that he can live in it. He could be forced to move with very little notice, with a lack of house building, it is hard for people to find homes where they live, and thus they are forced to move and move again.

If only people could access housing, that cost lest than 25% of their income and have security of tenure! These people would then belong to a community. Knowing that they would be a part of a community and living there for a long time, they would then try to make it better.

They could join community groups, instead of worrying about trying to get together a deposit and fees for the next short term let.

They could improve their local surroundings, instead of worrying about how they will afford to move when they are given notice.

They would have a sense of belonging and a desire to improve an area, instead of feeling like 2nd class citizens.

They would frequent local businesses instead of searching out a place that they can call 'home'.

What do you think?

Would you invest time and money in an area you belong to? Would you be inclined to do the same if you thought you might have to move at short notice?

Do you treat your own home with more respect than you would a hotel room/prison cell?

Even people who did care have since stopped. Your constant droaning on about it is not doing the cause any good.

Have you not posted the same general meaningless rant several dozen (hundred) times before?

What are you realistically suggesting is done?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246106/Generation-Rent-stake-community-housing-market-means-frozen-out.html#ixzz2EmWizSdN

An entire generation is being denied a stake in society. This unfortunate generation whom must shoulder the care burden of the boomers, and inherit the national debt has very little access to housing. And worse still, even if they access housing, they lack 'security of tenure'.

They do not have a house to call a home, they do not know if they will be living in the same place for a long time, they do not 'belong'.

Why would one invest his time and efforts into improving his community if he has no guarantee that he can live in it. He could be forced to move with very little notice, with a lack of house building, it is hard for people to find homes where they live, and thus they are forced to move and move again.

If only people could access housing, that cost lest than 25% of their income and have security of tenure! These people would then belong to a community. Knowing that they would be a part of a community and living there for a long time, they would then try to make it better.

They could join community groups, instead of worrying about trying to get together a deposit and fees for the next short term let.

They could improve their local surroundings, instead of worrying about how they will afford to move when they are given notice.

They would have a sense of belonging and a desire to improve an area, instead of feeling like 2nd class citizens.

They would frequent local businesses instead of searching out a place that they can call 'home'.

What do you think?

Would you invest time and money in an area you belong to? Would you be inclined to do the same if you thought you might have to move at short notice?

Do you treat your own home with more respect than you would a hotel room/prison cell?

You make some good points about unaffordable housing but aren’t this lost generation the children and grandchildren of the boomers, and if so why aren't the boomers doing what I'm doing and helping them gain access to housing.

when i bought my first house my outgoings where 80% of my income not 25%.

i struggled. i achieved, i felt proud.

25% pah. i

What do you think?

I would argue that this 'lost' generation's problems are about more than just housing, but you do make a serious point. However, many other countries have never gone into home ownership as enthusiastically as the British, and they seem to have survived.

There are advantages to renting which might fit in better with modern patterns of working, eg. contract work, which requires more flexibility, and freedom to move around the country.

Also with many a home having to be sold to pay for care in old age, I wonder what the point of homebuying is. If you have nothing to leave to your children why struggle to buy, you may as well rent.

That said, I don't think this government has thought much about the long term consequences of several issues affecting the current generation of young people, including housing, some of the issues of which you highlight in your OP. It's about time they did.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out. Most landlords want longterm stable tennants and will want them to stay long enough to build up a good relationship, and there are also laws to protect tennants.

It does worry me that this government seems to be leaving housing to the private sector with it's constant emphasis on profit, and has no plans to build local authority housing. It needs to match private rental with some stiff regulation to ensure fair play to all. We've seen a lot of what unregulated private enterprise can lead to. Apparently over 1 million buy-to-let homes are currently empty. You would think landlords might have got the message that their rents are too high. What is propping up this sector and making it impervious to market forces? Decent homes must be affordable.

Whatever you put into your home and community you will get back, it's about more than just who owns the bricks and morter. A generation of council tennants will tell you that.

Edited by Anna B

But I'm better than everyone else so I don't care

But I'm better than everyone else so I don't care

Sadly that isnt something that applies to you...

Im sure you are better than some people but I dont know who they might be

Sadly that isnt something that applies to you...

Im sure you are better than some people but I dont know who they might be

Well I'm far better than you're ever going, or even likely, to be

Well I'm far better than you're ever going, or even likely, to be

do you have proof of that? supply my with a quote

do you have proof of that? supply my with a quote

Everything I have ever said prooves I am far better than you in every way, as these forums demonstrate. Selfishness and greed is what this government propagates, so get used to it.

Everything I have ever said prooves I am far better than you in every way, as these forums demonstrate. Selfishness and greed is what this government propagates, so get used to it.

The day you are even half as good as me ill give up..... you are a right wing troll who posts on here to make the Left look stupid