Sheffield Markets

All this week there will be a stall on the lower floor of Sheffield Castle Market to help record peoples memories of the markets in Sheffield. This project will celebrate 700 years of history at the Sheffield Castle Market.

Everyone can be involved. This project is not just about the building. It's about the people that have brought it to life - whether you're a trader, a shopper or someone just passing by. Everyone will have a story to tell that creates the heritage of the Castle Market.

The group also has a facebook page which you can find here;

http://www.facebook.com/groups/524282614268249/

All this week there will be a stall on the lower floor of Sheffield Castle Market to help record peoples memories of the markets in Sheffield. This project will celebrate 700 years of history at the Sheffield Castle Market.

Everyone can be involved. This project is not just about the building. It's about the people that have brought it to life - whether you're a trader, a shopper or someone just passing by. Everyone will have a story to tell that creates the heritage of the Castle Market.

The group also has a facebook page which you can find here;

http://www.facebook.com/groups/524282614268249/[:(/QUOTE]

:(last time I went in there the place was same old.

hope you got some great stories

A lot of people knock the Castle Market but as you say it has a great history, okay the area round it is not the most celubrious but that's not the fault of the market. I think that when it does move to the bottom of the moor it will lose its identity, and people especially the older ones not so ready to go all that way down to use.

A lot of people knock the Castle Market but as you say it has a great history, okay the area round it is not the most celubrious but that's not the fault of the market. I think that when it does move to the bottom of the moor it will lose its identity, and people especially the older ones not so ready to go all that way down to use.

Surely it depends which side of Sheffield you live, if you live in

say, the Heeley area it will be nearer. Plus there is a free bus service that runs every 7 minutes from Haymarket to the bottom of The Moor via Pond St bus Station so I dont see what the problem will be.

How right you are . I appreciate that Sheffield is a progressive City ,and a city which all its inhabitants can be justly proud . To subject it to change for changes sake is nothing short of criminal hooliganism .

"Castle Market " , is exactly what it implies . It is built on the sit of the old Sheffield Castle . For some new planner to come into the city with such a proposal is a wish to further their own career prospects , without the slightest regard for the city or its people .

Progress can not be measured in what it is to be, without giving regard to its history and , of how it has achieved its present status . Not to give that consideration is unworthy of the people who profess to show any interest in their so called " commitment" .

Planning in all other communities , towns , and city's encompasses every aspect of what was , what is and what is to be ,without going on the rampage .

The " Castle Market " area is of vital historical interest . It has vital connections with the Manor House -Not only geographical but Physical . Not only local history but national , as well as having a very poignant connection for the people of the city .

I would urge the City Council to give very regard to the the interest of the people and of the history of your great city , for that is what it is and , think very carefully before you take such a grave and irretrievable step of criminal negligence .

Surely it depends which side of Sheffield you live, if you live in

say, the Heeley area it will be nearer. Plus there is a free bus service that runs every 7 minutes from Haymarket to the bottom of The Moor via Pond St bus Station so I dont see what the problem will be.

People are creatures of habit and will have used CM for years, it is an institution I can remember the old "rag & tag" and the Sheaf Market's. I'm afraid that Sheffield is losing it's heritage as well as it's identity.

Unsure how old you are, what I mean by that is younger people are more adept at adapting to major changes :)

People are creatures of habit and will have used CM for years, it is an institution I can remember the old "rag & tag" and the Sheaf Market's. I'm afraid that Sheffield is losing it's heritage as well as it's identity.

Unsure how old you are, what I mean by that is younger people are more adept at adapting to major changes :)

I am in my 70s remember all the old markets and am sure I will be able to change my shopping habits. Yes it will be sad to see the Castle Market close

but it is dying on its feet. Something had to be done to try and revive the markets and its up to us old uns to stop griping about how far it will be etc . when it perfectly easy to get about the city centre for nowt

How right you are . I appreciate that Sheffield is a progressive City ,and a city which all its inhabitants can be justly proud . To subject it to change for changes sake is nothing short of criminal hooliganism .

"Castle Market " , is exactly what it implies . It is built on the sit of the old Sheffield Castle . For some new planner to come into the city with such a proposal is a wish to further their own career prospects , without the slightest regard for the city or its people .

Progress can not be measured in what it is to be, without giving regard to its history and , of how it has achieved its present status . Not to give that consideration is unworthy of the people who profess to show any interest in their so called " commitment" .

Planning in all other communities , towns , and city's encompasses every aspect of what was , what is and what is to be ,without going on the rampage .

The " Castle Market " area is of vital historical interest . It has vital connections with the Manor House -Not only geographical but Physical . Not only local history but national , as well as having a very poignant connection for the people of the city .

I would urge the City Council to give very regard to the the interest of the people and of the history of your great city , for that is what it is and , think very carefully before you take such a grave and irretrievable step of criminal negligence .

Here's the answer back from the council,

LALALALALA LA LA LALA

when asked about what the language was in the answer, a council official said we live in LALA land it's natural to us, best spoken with the fingers in the ears.

I am in my 70s remember all the old markets and am sure I will be able to change my shopping habits. Yes it will be sad to see the Castle Market close

but it is dying on its feet. Something had to be done to try and revive the markets and its up to us old uns to stop griping about how far it will be etc . when it perfectly easy to get about the city centre for nowt

Well all I can say is good on you, you write as someone much younger (not patronising you either), I do agree we need improvement but feel they could have improved the area round the market, rather than move it lock stock and barrels.

I dread to think what will go in it's place, once it moves, as I said the old rag & tag was great, I remember going with my mum as a nipper and it was always cold.:hihi:

But there is no plan as far as I am aware to destroy the site of the castle,

in fact it is hoped that more remains will become accessible to the public.

As far as Castle Market it was originally built in 1928, virtually destroyed in the blitz. Rebuilt after the war opening in 1959, so the present building is hardly historic

Edited by bazjea